911 Scrambler project (aka RallyCab)

Ok, after several false starts, failed deals, auction stuff ups, misrepresentations, own goal errors and many other obstacles, this project has finally started.

The premise is a safari style 911 but based on a cabriolet not a coupe.  Why?  Why not?  I think it will be fun - a concept lacking a little in recent times in the air cooled Porsche world as prices rise.  A parallel could be the Ducati Scrambler - think street bike with some classic off road style - as this is intended to be nothing more than a fun street car (that doesn't have to brake for speed humps).  Hopefully a few folk will enjoy it in the spirit it is intended - and the haters will have something to talk about...

On Friday I took delivery of an 88 3.2 cab and the fun has begun.  Insta pics to follow. 

Next jobs are order the 195/70r15 rally tyres and get a roll hoop fabbed up. 

Light pod has arrived, lamps need to be sourced. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marchal Amplilux...Monsieur . 

?

Almost as good as a 959 resurrection will it actually wear a bit of mud or should I forward you a mates number who is a scenic painter? 

Marchal Amplilux...Monsieur . 

?

Almost as good as a 959 resurrection will it actually where a bit of mud or should I forward you a mates number who is a scenic painter? 

I'm not really planning on washing it - does that count?

Great concept.  You've clipped its wing, is the windscreen delete next ?  

Windscreen is staying, as is the roof.  Its even got A/C.

a good way to get rid of the surplus stock cabrios.

Now the next big question....

pre-date or post date or add more patina

No re-dating, although one wheel option is steelies which back date a tad.

• 2 weeks later...

Progress.  1. Knobby tyres fitted to Steelies and 2. Steelies fitted to G series cab. 

I was going to get some Braid rally wheels but I think the Steelies looks rad - ergo: the steelies are staying

Booked in next week to get the ride height raised another 1 to 2 inches - which will require a re-index of the torsion bars.

The light pod has also arrived, as has the lamps.

• 2 weeks later...

We have lift!  My alignment guy (Dave Falson/East Coast Susp) combined his years of air cooled 911 experience with his charity bash car experience - and voila.

He fitted some front shock spacers left over from a London to Sydney build.  We still have proper shock and sway bar function and even a little -ve camber on the rear.  This thing drives so nicely down the road. 

And was so much fun bombing over a few speed humps last night on the way home...

Next challenge is finding a good fabricator for the bar work.  Any recommendations for someone Sydney based gladly received. 

Got a test circuit mapped out mate?! Methinks its time to start lobbying for a couple of dirt stages for Classic Adelaide ;-)

What about the five nasty speed humps, two curbs and three potholes between home and my local piccolo latte dispenser...

• 2 months later...

Archived