981 Cayman/Boxster Market Watch / How many manual 981CS's were delivered (ANSWERED)

1 hour ago, Troubleshooter said:

Yep, IMO 99% of buyers of either of these late model GT Caymans could "easily afford" the extra 20k without missing a beat . I'd easily wager that if a buyer has enough net worth and cashflow to hold 169k in a car, or enough net worth and cashflow to make company or personal payments on a car that is not a necessary thing to own, (and some owners would see either of these as a type of investment if held for the long haul)  then it follows on they can easily hold or make payments on an extra 20k in a car like this. Yeah sure, some may choose not to pay 20k extra for a similar type of toy

For some, but not all.  Your assumptions are too broad.  The GTS given its options is a great buy compared to the others on the market.

New one on the market, but PDK unfortunately 981Kman.

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-Cayman-2015/OAG-AD-15570573/?Cr=1

8 minutes ago, NBTBRV8 said:

For some, but not all.  Your assumptions are too broad. 

So you think most well healed who can afford to tie up $169k in a toy and not negatively affect or alter their day to day financial living would miss 20k extra tied up in similar toy in their day to day life? Or overall life?

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2013/SSE-AD-5213352/https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2013/SSE-AD-5213352/

This Boxster S (no affiliation) looks to be good value for anyone looking for a highly specified 981 model - km are reasonable for a 2013 build and it’s still under the (extended) factory warranty. New cost was circa $178k before on-roads so all up close to $200k. I prefer the slightly darker Aqua Blue metallic over the newer Sapphire Blue and it looks good with the 2-tone full leather interior - the black leather on the top half of the dash prevents the problem of sunlight reflection with the light interior colours.

There is also a 2014 Boxster S in Agate Grey listed recently on Carsales with a manual transmission for the “old school” guys among us - not heavily optioned but km are low and a nice looking unit.

Hi nytelfer,

I hadn't noticed this vehicle. I love the interior. Reminds me a lot of yours. This might sound ridiculous, but I love white leather. Looks amazing but cannot image how much work it would be to keep clean. This has such a solid list of options. I can't imagine it being for sale for too long.

On 20/01/2018 at 3:59 PM, NBTBRV8 said:

New one on the market, but PDK unfortunately 981Kman.

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-Cayman-2015/OAG-AD-15570573/?Cr=1

Thanks @NBTBRV8, I did notice this one and thought it looked great with the turbo rims and the WA dealerships tend to price them a little lower too. Honestly sometimes wish I did not *need* to have a manual LOL. I'm sure you've already seen but your old flame is on the market yet again and back at Melbourne! What the...

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-Cayman-2016/OAG-AD-15620259/

ed936db5cfcc52fb238c8096cfb4a8cb.jpg?pxc

On 03/02/2018 at 11:57 AM, nytelfer said:

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2013/SSE-AD-5213352/

This Boxster S (no affiliation) looks to be good value

GREAT value! The PDK Boxster Ss are fantastic value right now, and there seems to be a lot of supply. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2018 at 7:53 PM, NBTBRV8 said:

It looks like PCM sold my old car.

I finally got to see your old car in the flesh when I was down in Melbourne about a month ago! Interior is in great condition, loved the seats, very nice place to be. Exterior paintwork is in pretty good nick too, only some minor swirling as can be expected in flat paint. 

Here's a MANUAL 2015 Porsche Cayman S in white for any of you looking for a unicorn: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-Cayman-2015/SSE-AD-5359156/    My prediction is that this will be the only manual 981 Cayman S being advertised this year so even if it's not your colour and you've been waiting for ages, grab it and wrap it if you can negotiate a better price than $150k. Otherwise, get a GTS!  

A few of you have kindly PM'd me to see what was happening on my end. Sorry for the delay in replying, been busy travelling and with work so I'll be posting an update in the next week or so. 

45 minutes ago, 981KMan said:

I finally got to see your old car in the flesh when I was down in Melbourne about a month ago! Interior is in great condition, loved the seats, very nice place to be. Exterior paintwork is in pretty good nick too, only some minor swirling as can be expected in flat paint. 

Here's a MANUAL 2015 Porsche Cayman S in white for any of you looking for a unicorn: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-Cayman-2015/SSE-AD-5359156/    My prediction is that this will be the only manual 981 Cayman S being advertised this year so even if it's not your colour and you've been waiting for ages, grab it and wrap it if you can negotiate a better price than $150k. Otherwise, get a GTS!  

A few of you have kindly PM'd me to see what was happening on my end. Sorry for the delay in replying, been busy travelling and with work so I'll be posting an update in the next week or so. 

Way over priced at $150K.  What's that line out of the Castle? Oh yeah "tell him he's dreamin'".

They would have offered him around $80,000 trade in on his new GT3.  It's out of warranty too.

6 hours ago, 981KMan said:

Did it still have the full front and roof with PPF?  Did PCM say anything about it?  The interior was as new, I especially took care not to wear the bolster getting in and out.  The seats were way better that 18 ways. 

5 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Way over priced at $150K.  What's that line out of the Castle? Oh yeah "tell him he's dreamin'".

They would have offered him around $80,000 trade in on his new GT3.  It's out of warranty too.

Yes he is going to struggle, I expect they would have offered him $100K.  It makes my old GTS look great value.

1 hour ago, NBTBRV8 said:

Did it still have the full front and roof with PPF?  Did PCM say anything about it?  The interior was as new, I especially took care not to wear the bolster getting in and out.  The seats were way better that 18 ways. 

Yes he is going to struggle, I expect they would have offered him $100K.  It makes my old GTS look great value.

Agree.....

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, Beau said:

Some nice low mileage 981 Cayman GTS examples coming up for sale recently.  Has anybody been tracking sale prices?

I have just noticed a few at around $140k+. A beautiful Carmine Red one just popped up a day or so ago. I also noticed the yellow manual sold for around $170. Amazing how much more desirable the manual is and how it can command the higher price tag.

Absolutely!  Although to be fair that yellow car was a high spec example too.

The ‘new’ Red one (From Victoria) was there previously, the owner has just changed the advert and added different photos... and made the headline photo a rendered Red GT4... not sure what to think about that...

Spotted a nice white GTS at PCBrisbane over the weekend, had the gloss black exterior trim finish, 12,000km with a sticker of $149k, not yet up on Carsales (in case anybody is on the hunt presently).

• 3 weeks later...

So Cayman folks , what is the market for a PDK car ?  Dirty import or not, Im looking perhaps for an entry level car ..for the Mrs ;) .  Anybody tracking their car.. do they need a suspension upgrade and the larger sump?  I havent watched the prices?  any must have options?  

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, new to this forum and a first time Porsche buyer. This thread has been fantastic reading as I am in the market for a 981 or 987.2 manual Boxster (base). Like a lot of people, I prefer the look of the 981 inside & out, but the 987.2's rawer driving experience (car will be a weekend toy only). Also, as I live in the anti-speeding capital of the world (Melb), I subscribe to the slow-car-driven-hard camp rather than the other way around.

Carsales has a black 987.2 at a dealer (test-drove: fake rims, higher mileage, rubbish tyres under min speed rating, heavily specked windscreen, cannot produce service books).

Also a couple of private listings, which, in spite of being rare manuals, look overpriced (& unwilling to budge):

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-Boxster-2013/SSE-AD-4798305/?_ga=2.56148523.1443884890.1533079862-920917586.1516157338

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-Boxster-2010/SSE-AD-5533472/?_ga=2.56148523.1443884890.1533079862-920917586.1516157338

I've been looking for 2 months and, if nothing transpires by Oct, may have to 'settle' for a PDK (no offence to PDK, which is fantastic for what it is, but not what I'm after).

• 5 weeks later...

Have also been in the market for a manual Cayman base model or S, however, they are close to impossible to find without the premium.

Will need to do more reading on this forum, however, I do find it so strange that there is such a rare amount of manual transmissions available!

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:59 PM, symsy said:

So Cayman folks , what is the market for a PDK car ?  Dirty import or not, Im looking perhaps for an entry level car ..for the Mrs ;) .  Anybody tracking their car.. do they need a suspension upgrade and the larger sump?  I havent watched the prices?  any must have options?  

Did you end up getting one @symsy ?

May as well add to this thread, as well as being in the Wanted section.

We're looking for a 2013 (or thereabouts) 981 Boxster, less than 40000kms, around $75k, anything but black.  GST registered seller preferred, this may impact on how much we're prepared to pay.  Location - preferably Melbourne, Tas would be perfect.  Moved too slow on the grey one down here, went to Sydney ?  but hopefully coming  over next weekend to check out a few at dealers.

7smurfs, I actually found one: 2010 987.2 manual Boxster. Just ordered a Carnewal GT exhaust for it. I think I'm in love.

Manual transmissions are quickly dying out, but the premium some sellers are commanding are unrealistic and they are sitting on the market for months. Dealer cars are generally priced more realistically.

There was a silver manual 981 Cayman that popped up at a Qld dealership last month, which is significantly rarer than the 987. All the best with your search!

1 hour ago, ASHMAN said:

7smurfs, I actually found one: 2010 987.2 manual Boxster. Just ordered a Carnewal GT exhaust for it. I think I'm in love.

Manual transmissions are quickly dying out, but the premium some sellers are commanding are unrealistic and they are sitting on the market for months. Dealer cars are generally priced more realistically.

There was a silver manual 981 Cayman that popped up at a Qld dealership last month, which is significantly rarer than the 987. All the best with your search!

Congrats ASHMAN!!!

I did see the silver 981 Cayman a while ago for a great price in QLD, however, was too slow to arrange to get down there from Melbourne to inspect/buy unfortunately it sold pretty fast!

I think at this stage, will have to wait patiently and settle for either a manual 981 boxster or auto 981 cayman!

2 hours ago, 7smurfs said:

Congrats ASHMAN!!!

I did see the silver 981 Cayman a while ago for a great price in QLD, however, was too slow to arrange to get down there from Melbourne to inspect/buy unfortunately it sold pretty fast!

I think at this stage, will have to wait patiently and settle for either a manual 981 boxster or auto 981 cayman!

Manual 981 in WA at the present, same price as PDKs...