981 Cayman/Boxster Market Watch / How many manual 981CS's were delivered (ANSWERED)

18 minutes ago, donR said:

I saw that white one yesterday. Looks nice.

I did look at a Rhodium Silver GTS in NSW a year or so ago and it was PDK, but very nice with only 16,404kms and I thought good buying at ~$130k for PDK version.

The best 981 GTS I saw was a manual yellow with the Sport Techno style wheels. I'm pretty sure it also had ceramic brakes and it definitely had PTV/LSD which is rare for a 981 S/GTS. I think it sold for ~ $140k, but definitely one to consider for manual drivers if it comes up again.    

Or my old car, which was virtually identical in the spec,  the difference was mine was Guards and had the communication pack, his didn't but had Burnmeister instead of Bose like mine.

16 hours ago, 981KMan said:

Nice one @nytelfer, cool that you're tracking them! I think there may have been a Carmine Red one, or possibly Guards Red, and quite possibly manual, but it had been written off. I saw someone advertising it for parts on carsales from memory. @NBTBRV8 I wonder if that's the other one that was delivered Oz. Did you get your new GT car by the way?

I vaguely remember that car, I am sure we would have talked about it in this thread.  I am pretty sure it was Carmine, but was it a manual?

• 2 weeks later...

I have to defend the GTS here. Unlike the S, which requires a bunch of options, these things come with nearly everything. Declaration: I have the same spec on my manual GTS. Only difference I can see is I have BOSE and folding mirrors. My original owner didn't get 'stitching', but I absolutely love the look. I love these packages and given they are performances based they don't always need cosmetic add ons to be good. 

I must add, glad mine was optioned with leather wheel and shifter. That alcantara goes off quickly! My seats are looking great with a regular brushing.

Although not optioned as generously as some, this car is spec’ed with $6,270 of options - maybe others options the dealer has not listed (note it is not fitted with Carrera Classic wheels as per the ad). To my eyes, the black Carrera S wheels don’t compliment a white car (perhaps better with Carmine Red?) but I am not a big fan of black wheels more generally.

I find it curious such a high percentage (70%) of the 10 manual GTS cars sold locally have now appeared on the used market - owners of PDK GTS models appear to be holding their cars longer (circa 18 cars have been listed) - this is a rash generalisation but, as a manual, i would have assumed these were purchased by enthusiasts so not the type to walk into a Porsche Centre and buy a car off the showroom floor and offload at expiry of a 4-5 year lease - or do enthusiasts types get bored after 4-5 years? 

August edition of Wheels magazine I picked up today features a Racing Yellow 718 Cayman GT4 on the cover with the headline “Who needs a 911?” - article saying there are further applications planned for the new 4-litre flat six - some speculation online a 718-6 GTS is in the wings.

I spent $50K on options on mine to get it how I wanted it, but the only thing I regret optioning was high beam assist.  It was absolutely hopeless and only worked correctly 50% of the time at best.

I sold my manual after 12 months because I had done 20,000kms and found that I wanted more of a harder experience from a car, plus it was depreciating very quickly.  I think most manual owners are enthusiasts and probably found themselves in the same boat, whereas (and I'm generalising) most PDK drivers prefer it for the ease of driving rather than engagement in driving.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know the history of this 981 Boxster Spyder advertised for $150k EGC? Saw the original owner list it privately for over $200k a couple of months ago. $150k seems priced more fairly given the kms.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2016-porsche-boxster-981-manual-my16/OAG-AD-17492748/?_ga=2.149185398.1388589522.1565411816-1639208229.1553734821

3 hours ago, 981KMan said:

Anyone know the history of this 981 Boxster Spyder advertised for $150k EGC? Saw the original owner list it privately for over $200k a couple of months ago. $150k seems priced more fairly given the kms.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2016-porsche-boxster-981-manual-my16/OAG-AD-17492748/?_ga=2.149185398.1388589522.1565411816-1639208229.1553734821

Nice car. I just don’t understand why they’re so mean with oil changes. It’s only had the oil changed twice in 30k. 

• 1 month later...

The yellow one has been listed at least 3 times but as some of the photos are the same, appears that it has never actually sold - I have it listed at $199k in May 2017 (SA rego) and $188k again in January 2018 (NSW rego) and I recall there was a further price drop a month or so later. Has anyone here inspected the car?

Are you talking about the yellow boxter or the yellow Cayman?

I've seen this one once before so presumably seller decided not to sell but maybe price was a little high before.

Though the options on this one are very desirable including PTV/LSD, carbon buckets and ceramic brakes, etc. Manual too, so a bit rare in this configuration, maybe even 1 of 1. 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2016-porsche-cayman-gts-981-manual-my16/SSE-AD-4430435/?Cr=15

Think I'm going to stand on the sidelines for a while and let the (suggested) GFC go past. It is a cracker and even yellow doesn't bother me in that spec. I'd love to know how long those Carbon Ceramic brakes last - wouldn't want to get caught having to do the replace. 

28 minutes ago, donR said:

Are you talking about the yellow boxter or the yellow Cayman?

I've seen this one once before so presumably seller decided not to sell but maybe price was a little high before.

Though the options on this one are very desirable including PTV/LSD, carbon buckets and ceramic brakes, etc. Manual too, so a bit rare in this configuration, maybe even 1 of 1. 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2016-porsche-cayman-gts-981-manual-my16/SSE-AD-4430435/?Cr=15

My old guards red car was almost identical in the spec.  He has Burnmeister where I didn't,  I had the communication package (red stitching and carbon) where he doesn't.   I also painted my wheels black too.

Other than that, they were identical from memory.  $50k worth of options.

24 minutes ago, MrMud said:

Think I'm going to stand on the sidelines for a while and let the (suggested) GFC go past. It is a cracker and even yellow doesn't bother me in that spec. I'd love to know how long those Carbon Ceramic brakes last - wouldn't want to get caught having to do the replace. 

The brakes last almost forever if not tracked or damaged.  But you do worry about scoring the faces of them.  I'd spec them again if money wasn't an issue, but you don't get a premium for them come resale.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

@MrMud so sorry to hear about your car mate, gutted for you as I recall you were waiting for a long while before it appeared in the spec you wanted😔 Hopefully you have moved on to your next dream spec by now...?

As for me, plans for 2020 didn't quite work out - I'm now after a base 981 Cayman in the interim.

Must haves: Manual, warranty, PSE (can be retrofitted)

Desirable specs: Black or Red, 2014+, Porsche Approved, 20" Carrera S wheels in platinum/satin/black, Sport Design steering wheel, Sport Chrono Pack, clear/GTS taillights, Sport Design front bumper, rear camera, folding mirrors, PASM, PTV. Obviously I won't find all of these in a base model and a few can be reasonably retrofitted.

Was eyeing a black 2014 manual Cayman at PCSS (sold for <$80k driveaway) which was a good spec but it had some strange scrapes on the tailpipes and front bumper.

Please let me know if you guys hear of anyone looking to sell privately or trade in a 981 Cayman. I'm already well across the 3 listed on carsales as I have like 20+ alerts set up! Thanks and Merry Christmas 😁

• 2 weeks later...