981 Cayman/Boxster Market Watch / How many manual 981CS's were delivered (ANSWERED)

15 hours ago, Prodigy said:

I've only ever driven a base 981 PDK Boxster... 

😯 didn’t realise you still hadn’t driven the 3.4L S/GTS - when I’m next at the regular coffee spot (7th March hopefully) we can go for a spin 👍

3 hours ago, nytelfer said:

I see another white GTS manual has been listed in Queensland so there are currently 4 manuals for sale in Australia - now must be some kind of record! 

Just wish i could stretch my budget to afford a GTS... I'd take any one of the four. That Qld one is a beauty with super low kms.

On 17/02/2020 at 21:56, Prodigy said:

an S will be my pick if i can find one at a good price. 

I've had my eye on the two white manuals in Vic, does the difference between a base and an S warrant the over 30k difference do you think? Pretty sure both have been for sale for quite a while, has anyone physically checked them out? A bit concerning they haven't sold? I'm not sure if it's just my OCD but on the base Cayman does it look like the rear number plate is a bit discolored? Almost like it's blackened slightly from soot out of the exhaust? 

Also would either of the cars have auto blip on downshift as i know some manuals have it, not sure if it's specific to a certain model or an option like sports chrono?

All good mate, feel free to jump on board :) glad this thread has been of some help @Prodigy!

Rev matching / auto blip was introduced in 2014 I believe with the sport Chrono option only.

As for pricing, I don't think we should be paying more than low $90k for an S and low $70k for a base... They are still overpriced at the moment (with lots of stock) which might explain why many have on the market for a very long time like the white manual S since 2019 July. Only lightly optioned.

Best to see it in person as @nytelfersuggested, as there have been some examples in the past where a member or two here have inspected and found some discrepancies/issues. It's a buyer's market so take your time and don't over pay!

Good luck with your hunt! 

Thanks @nytelfer and @rego for clarifying about maintenance too!

8 hours ago, 981KMan said:

All good mate, feel free to jump on board :) glad this thread has been of some help @Prodigy!

Rev matching / auto blip was introduced in 2014 I believe with the sport Chrono option only.

As for pricing, I don't think we should be paying more than low $90k for an S and low $70k for a base... They are still overpriced at the moment (with lots of stock) which might explain why many have on the market for a very long time like the white manual S since 2019 July. Only lightly optioned.

Best to see it in person as @nytelfersuggested, as there have been some examples in the past where a member or two here have inspected and found some discrepancies/issues. It's a buyer's market so take your time and don't over pay!

Good luck with your hunt! 

Thanks @nytelfer and @rego for clarifying about maintenance too!

Just FYI we paid $77k 15 months ago for a base 981 2013 PDK  Boxster with 23000kms, Sports Chrono & Flappy Paddle wheel.  Would think pricing on that car (now with 38,000kms) would be around $70k, aligning with Kman's thinking. For our use base is more than sufficient, I reckon it has more usable power than our 987S had.  I don't think there would be any price differential between manual / pdk.  Very well spent $7k, fantastic car, love driving it, PDK is fantastic although there is something very satisfying about changing gears in the GT3........

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, 981KMan said:

Anyone interested in a pre-release 2013 Cayman GTS with the "GTS body kit & engine delete" option? 😉 https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2013-porsche-cayman-981-auto/OAG-AD-18532599/?Cr=5

@981KMan - was not sure what to expect before opening the link ... what price a couple of dodgy “GTS” stickers?  It appears to sit a little lower than a standard car (PASM optioned?) and may be fitted with spacers as the rear wheels in particular sit right out in the guards? 

2 hours ago, nytelfer said:

It appears to sit a little lower than a standard car (PASM optioned?) and may be fitted with spacers as the rear wheels in particular sit right out in the guards? 

Yikes... definitely lowered.  Spacers... maybe.  Each to their own but I’m not sure why somebody would fit the GTS badges to this, as opposed to just de-badging... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hi, Phil here, I bought the  lightly optioned white manual Cayman S from VIC and it's now on it's way to WA. Perfect car for me after many G bodied 911s, has two years warranty and only 25ks on the clock so no sorting to do for a change. Minimal options is good in my opinion, less to go wrong down the track, don't need auto blip on change down as I can and prefer to do that myself. Will have way more performance all round than my 911s before and is what I consider to be what the 911 should have become anyway. Wasn't keen to go water cooled 911 but strangely happy to go down the Cayman s road. Can't wait till it gets here! 

Hi @Bugs77 Congrats Phil! I noticed that one disappeared after being on the market for a long while, I'm sure the seller was glad to finally sell it and you're happy that you get to benefit from the 2 years warranty since the seller would have had to have spent at least $3k to get that sorted! Let us know how it goes!

P.S. I finally ended up with a lightly optioned base, manual 981 Cayman myself :) Definitely down on power/torque (about 25%) from my previous (and newer) car, but it's much more engaging sitting low, being able to rev the engine without having to worry about backing off and breaking the speed limit... as well as actually having to downshift to get into the power band when overtaking, whereas before, I could just step on it in any gear and not have to even think about downshifting (made me a lazy driver). 

18 hours ago, Bugs77 said:

Hi, Phil here, I bought the  lightly optioned white manual Cayman S from VIC and it's now on it's way to WA. Perfect car for me after many G bodied 911s, has two years warranty and only 25ks on the clock so no sorting to do for a change. Minimal options is good in my opinion, less to go wrong down the track, don't need auto blip on change down as I can and prefer to do that myself. Will have way more performance all round than my 911s before and is what I consider to be what the 911 should have become anyway. Wasn't keen to go water cooled 911 but strangely happy to go down the Cayman s road. Can't wait till it gets here! 

Congrats Phil, i had my eye on this one for a while, great choice, was disappointed when it sold lol.

Can i ask did you organise a PPI and if so who did you use? Also what freight company are you using to bring it over? (Feel free to PM if you prefer)

I'm also in WA and waiting for something to pop up locally has not been fruitful. I've always been worried buying a car sight unseen but looks like I'm going to have to go interstate to get what i want .

5 hours ago, Prodigy said:

Congrats Phil, i had my eye on this one for a while, great choice, was disappointed when it sold lol.

Can i ask did you organise a PPI and if so who did you use? Also what freight company are you using to bring it over? (Feel free to PM if you prefer)

I'm also in WA and waiting for something to pop up locally has not been fruitful. I've always been worried buying a car sight unseen but looks like I'm going to have to go interstate to get what i want .

I didn't organise a PPI, With only 25k on the clock and the car has been serviced on time everytime and has no accident damage, just one stone chip all confirmed by Doncaster Porsche, along with two new rear tires to help comply for the two years extended warranty (and for me as close to buying a brand new car as I'm going to get) I couldn't see any good reason to pay for a PPI or even jump on the plane to double check for myself. The previous owner is a car guy and good bloke and was more than generous in the end. If I was buying another air cooled 911 for similar or more money I would have done my own PPI first.

Car is coming via Door To Door so it could be picked up at the Vic end for the previous owner's convenience but is basically coming with Ceva, supposed to be being delivered down to me at Mandurah but I may try and pick up in Perth depot to minimise handling. 

Last manual 981 S or GTS I saw in WA was a long time ago, with only 16 of these Ss in the country I thought I'd better get it before there's only higher mileage ones left, after owning classics and having to sort them all out, this time I was after something as factory fresh as possible. I was amazed that this one didn't go sooner but luckily everyone is still hung up about getting more options so the more minimal spec kept them at bay.

Hi Phil - a very warm welcome to 981 Cayman ownership - as another white 981 Cayman S owner (albeit a heavily optioned PDK), I followed your car on Carsales closely as I suspect I am an ex-neighbour of the seller (my previous house is just outside the photos in the advertisement). You make some interesting comments, particularly as previous owner of G-series 911’s, you weren’t keen on a water cooled 911 but happy to go with a Cayman. I haven’t spent a lot time behind the wheel of newer 911’s but for some, they are now one size too big and the opportunity to exploit the full capability on public roads is limited. I would be happy to have one in the garage but for me, the size & performance balance of the 981/982 platform is close to ideal and I haven’t been tempted to look seriously at another car in 3-years of 981 ownership. Enjoy!

Thanks nytelfer, pretty sure I'm going to enjoy the Cayman. Today the 911 has moved on, still a fantastic car but not quite what it was (now less flawed :)), but yes bigger and way more performance than you can poke a stick at, still love them. Selling my last 911 was a mistake (enquired about getting it back but current owner loves it too much), it was an OZ delivered, not rusty, mexico blue, non sunroof, no electrics, RS rear flared 74 with uprated aircon that blows very cold and the exhaust is stuck in sport mode. Very light and nimble (suspension sorted) and an absolute hoot to drive at legal speeds, complete feedback and plenty quick enough. In trying to replace it and move ahead a touch in a little more luxury the Cayman made most sense, I wanted to go 964 or 933 C2 manual but value for money the 981 is way ahead, will make all the right noises and will go better whether you like it or not, just made the later air cooled cars look not worth the money. So I'm buying this car more with my head than my heart but I have a feeling the heart will be more than happy.

Here's a pic of what I sold, pics of the new car I will post in the mid engined section when it gets here in about three weeks!!! (should have driven it over)

Cheers, PhilIMG_0237.thumb.JPG.95615060fe2e7f10913987f0f9ebb783.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, NBTBRV8 said:

They are everywhere.   Another manual GTS coming on the Market.  Optimistically priced though.

Check out this 2016 Porsche Cayman GTS 981 Manual MY16. https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2016-Porsche-Cayman-GTS-981-Manual-MY16/OAG-AD-18611965

Very optimistic seeing how you can order the new GTS 4.0 for a little more... (plus options of course)

On 01/04/2020 at 09:17, NBTBRV8 said:

They are everywhere.   Another manual GTS coming on the Market.  Optimistically priced though.

Check out this 2016 Porsche Cayman GTS 981 Manual MY16. https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2016-Porsche-Cayman-GTS-981-Manual-MY16/OAG-AD-18611965

Wow that seems a bit overpriced...😯

Im wondering if the ad is supposed to read GT4 981 not GTS.

@Bugs77 has the Cayman arrived yet or has it been affected by the interstate travel restrictions? 

As speculated by @Prodigy, the ambitiously priced grey 981 Cayman GTS at Ferrari North Shore is in fact a GT4 - I was hoping it was a GTS to complete my “register” of the 10 (or is it 11) manual GTS cars sold in Australia. For those of us who watch these cars, here is the listing as it currently stands - the options listed are those that can be observed from photos on Carsales or referenced in the accompanying description  - for a couple of cars, there are too many options to list here.

44C0729A-4AAB-46BB-BCEF-CD6A21E00140.thumb.jpeg.7d713f480b7fa759361210f51f6ff352.jpeg

24 minutes ago, nytelfer said:

As speculated by @Prodigy, the ambitiously priced grey 981 Cayman GTS at Ferrari North Shore is in fact a GT4 - I was hoping it was a GTS to complete my “register” of the 10 (or is it 11) manual GTS cars sold in Australia. For those of us who watch these cars, here is the listing as it currently stands - the options listed are those that can be observed from photos on Carsales or referenced in the accompanying description  - for a couple of cars, there are too many options to list here.

44C0729A-4AAB-46BB-BCEF-CD6A21E00140.thumb.jpeg.7d713f480b7fa759361210f51f6ff352.jpeg

Good to see someone is keeping a list.  The Guards red car was mine for new.  It was sold to Sydney but ended up being traded in at Porsche Melbourne.   It hasn't reappeared since then.

The car is here!, intercepted it at the Perth Depot rather than wait for them to deliver it down here to Mandurah, the less it got handled the better. Wasn't held up by any COVID stuff but still took nearly 4 weeks to get here. No damage, just needs a wash (but they did offer to wash). Arrived de-registered from VIC so driven back on a 48hr permit, got it passed for rego then to the rego office for some plates and be relieved of more funds for stamp duty. A hiccup though, the VIC transfer papers are a copy, as in the previous owners signature is a copy and not the original. Would have been OK if it was WA transfer but not interstate! Anyway previous owner has now sent some more papers express. 

So first drive was bringing it down to Mandurah (bought this sight unseen remember!), this after owning a few G bodied 911s and having driven 993s on occasions (was going to buy one originally), and I would have to say that it is all I had hoped for so very, very happy. Love the manual, super easy to drive and makes the right noises in Sport with the loud button on. My last 911 was very good so this has a lot to stand up to but it does, just raw enough with good feel at full noise but dials back nicely when you want that, my better half took it for a spin around the block with one of our daughters and claimed it to be "much better than the old shitter!", so that's a win. So when the papers get here I'll get some plates (state ones first then some better ones I have ordered later) and do some exploring, well as much as is socially allowed at the moment anyway.

SLPJ2336.thumb.JPG.6f994de1bb1de50053fb2ffa3abb196f.JPG

Thanks mate, white wasn't a first choice but it's growing on me, the rims however are my favourite choice and the charcoal is great with the white, main overall reason choosing this car was the combination of 981 S with manual trans and sports exhaust :)
There's only 16 of these Ss here, and I see above only 10-11 manual GTSs, would be easier to get a manual by buying a GT4.