981 Cayman/Boxster Market Watch / How many manual 981CS's were delivered (ANSWERED)

X73 is only retrofitable if the car doesn't have PASM to begin with I believe.  You can't retrofit it on to a car with PASM.

correct.  X73 sports suspension can only be retrofitted to a 981 with standard suspension (not PASM).

@vin - if I can find one my next modern P car will be a 981 Spyder - Manual Gear Shift, Carrera S motor, exhaust note that makes you orgasm and killer looks - freaking awesome combo

and 918 seats too :) ... altho not a common option on the 25 AU delivered

P1020164.jpg

Can anyone actually tell me how many had the 918 seats of the 23 brought in? Just interested to know. My mate who bought the agate grey car from PCSS has these seats and they are the ducks guts...

I'd be interested in that stat too. Out of 8 Spyders I am aware of, only 2 have the 918 seats fitted. The agate grey at PCSS and our white one.  Pretty sure there were total 25 brought in.

I purchased a 2014 981 Cayman a couple of weeks ago so have wrestled with many of the questions in this thread - I would have loved to stretch to a GTS model (especially in Carrara White) but settled on a highly optioned non-metallic white S model. 

I had no interest in a new 718 model and, for me, a GT4 was a bit too extreme - I was also a little puzzled the relatively small price differential between the highly specified/low km GTS models currently listed on Carsales and a near new GT4.

I narrowed my search to an S model (optioned close to GTS spec with PDK, PSE, PASM & Chrono) or a GTS. My other requirement if it was to be an S model was a full leather interior as I have a question in my mind as to the long term durability of alcantara. 

My preference was a Cayman but did not rule out a Boxster with the right options.

I was relaxed on the manual vs PDK question - the manual shift is close to perfect but the gearing is too long so was happy to go PDK with the convenience around the suburbs.

I drove a couple of heavily optioned Boxsters from OPC's in Melbourne but the specification was never quite correct for me. 

I missed a Cayman GTS at PCM in early 2016 that was advertised at $165k with circa 12,000km and got close on a lightly optioned Cayman GTS in Feb this year that was described as Carrara White but was actually flat white - it was initially offered at $175k before the price was reduced to $155k - the seller was offered $140k and subsequently sold for $144k with the car then being listed at PCB for $168k driveaway.

The seller of the Saphire Blue GTS listed on Carsales has an intriguing marketing strategy - the car was listed for circa 6 months at $180k before he upped the price to $250k! I like the colour but understand Saphire Blue is not a popular colour choice in North America so maybe the same applies in Australia?

After having had mine for only 2 weeks, I finally had the opportunity to take it for a decent drive through the Yarra Ranges this morning - 3 years of searching for the right car was absolutely worth it!

David

Sent from my iPad

I had no interest in a new 718 model and, for me, a GT4 was a bit too extreme - I was also a little puzzled the relatively small price differential between the highly specified/low km GTS models currently listed on Carsales and a near new GT4.

David

Sent from my iPad

What did you find puzzling with the higher-spec GTS' compared to the lower spec GT4s?

The white manual GTS for $169K seems pretty good value, it doesn't have many options at all.  But it looks pretty good.

I purchased a 2014 981 Cayman a couple of weeks ago so have wrestled with many of the questions in this thread - I would have loved to stretch to a GTS model (especially in Carrara White) but settled on a highly optioned non-metallic white S model. 

Nice! Any pics? What option/spec did you eventually get?

Agree the Carrara White GTS Cayman looks a great car given the nominal kms (noting it was initially listed at $180k) - that said, the GTS Cayman & Boxster's at b/w $190-200k are to my mind uncomfortably close in asking price to GT4's at a little over $200k - admittedly some of these GTS models have some of the more exotic options (PCCB, carbon sports seats etc.) but I am not sure the cost of those options will be recovered in the used market. The spec on mine includes PDK, PSE, PASM, Chrono, Bose, 20" Carrara S wheels, full leather and a bunch of other items - will post some photos shortly.

David

Agree the Carrara White GTS Cayman looks a great car given the nominal kms (noting it was initially listed at $180k) - that said, the GTS Cayman & Boxster's at b/w $190-200k are to my mind uncomfortably close in asking price to GT4's at a little over $200k - admittedly some of these GTS models have some of the more exotic options (PCCB, carbon sports seats etc.) but I am not sure the cost of those options will be recovered in the used market. The spec on mine includes PDK, PSE, PASM, Chrono, Bose, 20" Carrara S wheels, full leather and a bunch of other items - will post some photos shortly.

David

I think you will find that the GTS and GT4 market are different.  

As you pointed out in your initial post you didn't want a GT4 as it was "a bit too extreme".  Not everybody wants a motorsport derived car with big wing, low ride height and stiff ride quality.  And those buyers that do will already have discounted a GTS as it wont be hardcore enough.

The higher spec GTS' on market (mine is one) really can't be compared to the GT4.  If you were to spec a GT4 with PCCB, leather and bucket seats then the RRP of the car will be around $260K.  It would be like comparing a $260K GT4 to a $200K one.  When you get in a no option GT4 and compare the finish to the highly optioned GTS you can quickly see where the extra money is.  Plastic and rubber as opposed to leather.

The GT4 market's peak has long since been.  Cars are now sitting for sale for ages and prices are falling marginally.  The reason that they haven't fallen further is that there is no direct competitor close to the price range and you can no longer buy them new.  The cheapest GT4 is an Agate Grey one without any options and $206K.  If this was a good deal it would have sold months ago.  You've also got to remember that the majority of people who buy GT4s don't use them as a daily, so they want the fixed or folding bucket seats, not the standard run of the mill ones as they want the extra theatre from the driving experience.  So GT4 cars with the standard seats are hard to sell at "market rates".

So whilst the cars have the same platform, their differences are marked and the asking prices confirm this too.  My car is a "hardcore" GTS, but I am under no illusion that it is a GT4.  Both highly speced GTS' on the market had a retail price of $222K, so arguably they are better value than the GT4 considering depreciation.

Similar to the OP I’m in the market for a 981 Cayman, I have a preference for a manual but for a good deal I’d take a PDK.

Originally I was going to buy a new 718 Cayman S but after thinking about it for a while I’d rather get a new Cayman S in 3 years time when they revise the whole line rather than buying a facelift model new and I thought I’d give myself the opportunity to enjoy the 6 cylinder engine before it’s gone.

I’m happy to eat a lot of depreciation to get a car new however buying a car used, not knowing exactly how the car has been run and then losing 15-20k a year in depreciation for the next 3 years plus running costs is something that I’m not keen to do which is making me consider grabbing a 987.2 Boxster/Cayman and holding it until the new car comes out to get my first taste of Porsche ownership but I am thinking that as owners take delivery of their 718 Caymans or as they come out of warranty availability might increase and push prices down towards the level I’d be willing to pay which is 95-100k for a 981 Cayman S.

I made a graph showing the price of the different models (based on carsales values and discussions with sellers) which when I graphed it out made me wary of buying a used 981 Cayman S at the current price level.

HmqcM5x.png

I’m new to the Porsche game but is there a likely time when the prices of the previous model (981 in this case) will start falling or is it not until the whole line is superseded that the prices start dropping dramatically?

Edited by rego

Welcome Rego :)

interesting the 981 Boxster S prices are higher than 981 Cayman S when it was the other way when the 981 generation was released.  Maybe the repositioning of Boxster over Cayman in the 718 (982) generation effected this or demand for last NA Boxster is stronger than Cayman (easier to enjoy the difference in open top).  Could be a good opportunity to pick up a 981CS cf new price- whether it will keep dropping faster is hard to know but the non-GT4 981 are the epitomny of NA in that chassis which makes it somewhat special in the long term.  In a few years time when used 981 AND 982 hit the market, I would think the NA 981 would hold up much better but as sandy says... who knows? Good luck with your search!

Thanks for that.

Vin - 981 Cayman S prices are much higher than the Boxster S by approximately 15-20k depending on options. You might have looked at the wrong key.

Like you both said it's hard to know where the prices are going to go. I really enjoyed my test drive of the 981 Cayman S so I might just suck it up and go for a bit over what I'd ideally like to pay. I would just hate it if they drop to 95k in the next 6 months due to increased availability of the 718 Cayman and I take a giant haircut so I was wondering if people had thoughts on the market from past experience.

How the 6 vs 4 affects prices is unique. Having driven both (Boxster S 718, not Cayman) I can see why the 4 is appealing since it feels a lot faster.

There's a really interesting road test of the 718 Boxster in this months (May) 911 & Porsche World magazine from the UK - not the S variant, but a well specced  2l turbo model. While the scribe say that the car itself is altogether better than the 981, the engine "dominates" the driving experience by being course and harsh, both on the ear and through the structure. Even the door cards vibrate...

I suspect that the 6 pot 981 series Boxster's and Cayman's used prices will hold up better than the 4 cylinder cars if what the jouno's are saying is anywhere near the truth....

Glad to see the 981 discussion has kicked along here with some new members :) Apologies in advance for the long post, just wanted to respond to everyone who took the time out to share their thoughts. Just an update that 2 x GTS's sold over the long weekend, both at $169k with fairly minimal options. 

Question - For the exterior only, is the GTS pretty much the Cayman S with the SportDesign package (front bar with different DRLs and rear diffuser) plus the tinted/smoked rear lights and slightly different headlights i.e. black rings instead of chrome, and black badging and tailpipes? Tequipment has the SportDesign package listed at  AUD 6,805.71... smoked rear lights are around $903. S --> GTS conversion anyone? :D 

I signed my contract on 1/12/15 when the GT4 was sold out....Anyway my order locked on 28/02/16, then in mid March 2016 PCA released the second batch of GT4s on to the market and as my order was locked I couldn't change it....However given that I have been disappointed that I didn't get a GT4, the GTS has surpassed my expectations in every way and at no point has it left me wanting, it has been better than I could ever have imagined.  All the accolades it has got are thoroughly deserved.  I don't think I would move to a GT4 now, although I have thought about it, but I certainly wouldn't spends thousands extra making the change, the GTS is just that good.  With the MKII GT3 here at the end of the year, MK1 GT3s have just started to drop so my plan is to sell the GTS and get in to a MK1 GT3 in 12 months or so when their values are more in line with their age etc.

@NBTBRV8 I'm glad it worked out better for you in the end with the GTS despite missing out on the GT4. To get your red manual GTS I will need to wait until the person you sell to decides to sell in a few years :D I'd be guessing out of the 11 manual GTSs sold, only maybe 3 might be guards red, and they will probably hold their value for a while. Forgive my lack of 911 knowledge but does this search here correspond to the MK1 GT3? https://www.carsales.com.au/car/porsche/911/gt3-badge/996-series/?WT.z_srchsrcx=makemodel

How goes your search?  FWIW, the 10mm lower X73 sports suspension and must have switchable sports exhaust can be retrofitted so it can make alot of sense to find a non GTS and add these (and their cost) later if desired.

Yup, that's our Spyder... 

IMG_5275.jpg

Love your Spyder in the white @vin, it has probably converted me in the sense that if I were to go a Boxster, I think it very well would be white :D I agree that it is the perfect combo of the 981 with the GT4 frontend and Spyder backend (without the GT4 wing). I would love a Cayman version of this Spyder :D 
Nothing has popped up in my desired spec but I'm not ready to buy right now, fortunately and unfortunately. Yes, agreed, I would definitely have the PSE retrofitted at the time of purchase :) Thanks for the heads up on X73. Think I'd definitely consider that if PASM wasn't included since I think it'll look great a little lower than standard. I see a Sports Chassis (-20mm) option on Tequipment for about $3k - think that's the X73?

Sports chassis (- 20 mm)

More stiffly tuned spring/damper units, modified anti-roll bars and body lowered by 20 mm. 
Note: Not in conjunction with Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)

Interesting post here:  http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-and-boxster-modifications/139465-pasm-x73-retrofit-good-bad-ugly.html 
As for PASM vs X73 ride comfort..this is how i would rate them
Pasm (sport off) comfort level 8......performance 5
Pasm (sport on) comfort level 6.5.....performance 7
X73..................comfort level 3-4....performance 9

No-one is saying it so I will - the Boxster is just as good as the Cayman. You could open up your potential hits if you expand your search to the Boxster. I might be biased but the Boxster is the best Porsche ;P and there's nothing like open-top motoring. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks @grantmr  :) I have definitely gone back and forth on this over past 6 months haha... between a Boxster vs Cayman vs Base vs S. Especially since the Boxster prices have fallen a bit, including the S, and that they are easier to find with the specs I'd want. Open-top is like no other, you're right... Having stared at them many times, I still prefer the look of the Cayman and I'm thinking if I'm going to own it for say 5 years, I'd rather look at the Cayman in my garage and give up the open top experience. It's the side view of convertibles that I've personally never been a fan of (besides the Spyder and once upon a time the E93 M3 hard-top convertible) but if the perfect Boxster S pops up at an awesome price, I might change my mind :P 

I got the sports exhaust (PSE) retrofitted a few weeks after I picked the car up last December - its totally as it would have been had they done it at the factory, down to switch gear inside the car and the computer remap. It also rolls up under the car warranty.

Nice one @Ozvino :) I'm assuming when they took your interior apart and put it back together, it was still all good? That's the only thing I've heard to be careful of. In terms of pricing, do you mind me asking if the pricing on the Porsche Tequipment site is at all accurate? http://content2.eu.porsche.com/prod/pag/tequipment/TeqFinder.nsf/TeqFinder?ReadForm&country=australia   Just that the Carrera S wheels go for over $13k in black...?

I narrowed my search to an S model (optioned close to GTS spec with PDK, PSE, PASM & Chrono) or a GTS. My other requirement if it was to be an S model was a full leather interior as I have a question in my mind as to the long term durability of alcantara. 

The seller of the Saphire Blue GTS listed on Carsales has an intriguing marketing strategy - the car was listed for circa 6 months at $180k before he upped the price to $250k! I like the colour but understand Saphire Blue is not a popular colour choice in North America so maybe the same applies in Australia?

3 years of searching for the right car was absolutely worth it!

Welcome @nytelfer! Absolutely brilliant that you found it after 3 years of searching, GEE that is a long time! I guess I'd better be prepared to be in it for the long haul. At least it will keep the missus happy for longer :P I think I might know the one that you ended up with. Was it the one with the yachting blue interior by any chance? I saw white one in a PDK with all those options (beautifully specced car) and it sold recently. Congrats - well deserved for holding out and I bet you were grinning ear to ear when going on that first joyride!!!

and 918 seats too :) ... altho not a common option on the 25 AU delivered

P1020164.jpg

Wow... can your car get any better??? :o :D Assume you're going to hold on to it for a loooong time! LOL

Similar to the OP I’m in the market for a 981 Cayman, I have a preference for a manual but for a good deal I’d take a PDK.

Originally I was going to buy a new 718 Cayman S but after thinking about it for a while I’d rather get a new Cayman S in 3 years time when they revise the whole line rather than buying a facelift model new and I thought I’d give myself the opportunity to enjoy the 6 cylinder engine before it’s gone.

I’m happy to eat a lot of depreciation to get a car new however buying a car used, not knowing exactly how the car has been run and then losing 15-20k a year in depreciation for the next 3 years plus running costs is something that I’m not keen to do which is making me consider grabbing a 987.2 Boxster/Cayman and holding it until the new car comes out to get my first taste of Porsche ownership but I am thinking that as owners take delivery of their 718 Caymans or as they come out of warranty availability might increase and push prices down towards the level I’d be willing to pay which is 95-100k for a 981 Cayman S.

I made a graph showing the price of the different models (based on carsales values and discussions with sellers) which when I graphed it out made me wary of buying a used 981 Cayman S at the current price level.

HmqcM5x.png

I’m new to the Porsche game but is there a likely time when the prices of the previous model (981 in this case) will start falling or is it not until the whole line is superseded that the prices start dropping dramatically?

Welcome @rego and nice graph, thanks for posting it up!! I'd say it's about right although I see the Cayman S tends to be over $125k/$130k for one with decent options (PSE, PASM or Sports Chrono, 20" rims) and similar Boxster S's I see around $110k. I must say I don't tend to like recording the ones the ones with no options and the standard rims. I also considered the 987.2 in the meantime while I search for the perfect 981 but decided against it as I didn't want to take a depreciation hit, and preferred to put the money into my mortgage instead.

The price of a nicely optioned 981CS is sort of close to a base 718C, but I suppose the longer you and I wait, the more likely the 981 will move towards the $100k range. Although I do suspect many Porsche fans would rather hold on to the flat 6 and those buying the flat 4 are often new to Porsche ownership and/or younger buyers who don't mind the 4 cyl, so the 981 prices might not fall as much. I'm happy to share any findings of 981CS's that I come across with you (so long as I'm not going for the same one :P) as I'm tracking all of them on Carsales as there are some nice PDK ones popping up recently. 

Like you both said it's hard to know where the prices are going to go. I really enjoyed my test drive of the 981 Cayman S so I might just suck it up and go for a bit over what I'd ideally like to pay. I would just hate it if they drop to 95k in the next 6 months due to increased availability of the 718 Cayman and I take a giant haircut so I was wondering if people had thoughts on the market from past experience.

How the 6 vs 4 affects prices is unique. Having driven both (Boxster S 718, not Cayman) I can see why the 4 is appealing since it feels a lot faster.

That pretty much sums it up... the 4 "feels" very fast with the turbo and torque, even the 718 base compared with the 981S, but I think you would agree that the driving experience is not the same. That seems to be the general consensus from most guys I've talked to at the P dealership (salespeople included) that they too prefer the flat 6 driving experience despite how quick the 718 is (even when they didn't know if I was going for a 981 or 718). 

the engine "dominates" the driving experience by being course and harsh, both on the ear and through the structure. Even the door cards vibrate...I suspect that the 6 pot 981 series Boxster's and Cayman's used prices will hold up better than the 4 cylinder cars if what the jouno's are saying is anywhere near the truth....

@Stephen Tinker - I would agree that the 718 is a "better car" objectively speaking. Having driven them back to back (718B followed by the 981BS), both with PSE, I found the loudness to be quite similar. "Harsh" might be a bit harsh, although I may be used to driving a WRX in the past, as I didn't think the 718 was that bad. In fact, it sounded pretty good for a 4 banger (better than a WRX and still an enjoyable note) but compared with the flat 6, the flat 6 is much nicer and refined especially at full song whereas the 718 did sound a bit BLURGH at full volume (don't know how else to describe it!). Basically the flat 6 put a big smile on my face whereas the 718 was more of a jaw drop like "holy sh!t that was fast". 

Edited by 981KMan

Welcome @rego and nice graph, thanks for posting it up!! I'd say it's about right although I see the Cayman S tends to be over $125k/$130k for one with decent options (PSE, PASM or Sports Chrono, 20" rims) and similar Boxster S's I see around $110k. I must say I don't tend to like recording the ones the ones with no options and the standard rims. I also considered the 987.2 in the meantime while I search for the perfect 981 but decided against it as I didn't want to take a depreciation hit, and preferred to put the money into my mortgage instead.

The price of a nicely optioned 981CS is sort of close to a base 718C, but I suppose the longer you and I wait, the more likely the 981 will move towards the $100k range. Although I do suspect many Porsche fans would rather hold on to the flat 6 and those buying the flat 4 are often new to Porsche ownership and/or younger buyers who don't mind the 4 cyl, so the 981 prices might not fall as much. I'm happy to share any findings of 981CS's that I come across with you (so long as I'm not going for the same one :P) as I'm tracking all of them on Carsales as there are some nice PDK ones popping up recently. 

That pretty much sums it up... the 4 "feels" very fast with the turbo and torque, even the 718 base compared with the 981S, but I think you would agree that the driving experience is not the same. That seems to be the general consensus from most guys I've talked to at the P dealership (salespeople included) that they too prefer the flat 6 driving experience despite how quick the 718 is (even when they didn't know if I was going for a 981 or 718). 

Agreed some of the optioned up cars are a bit more expensive but what options are worth is slightly debatable (sellers think they are worth more because they paid for them) so I went for the lowest cars on Carsales or used prices where I'd spoken to sellers or the 2 cars I've inspected with an intention to buy.

You are right the experience definitely isn't the same and I like the flat 6, at the end of the day though the 981 is a lot slower than the 718 which is the newer car and with the Cayman not really being a classic car I'm not sure if just being a 6 is enough to help it retain a lot of value outside of the unique cars like the Spyder/GT4. Having purchased a number of cars from different brands I feel like every time a new version comes out that does something different it's always said by enthusiasts that the last model will retain value but it rarely happens, to look at a recent example (admittedly not exactly the same as it is still a 6) the 991.1 is still depreciating heavily with the 991.2 having a bigger turbocharged engine that is faster.

Saying that I recognise that I'm not an experienced Porsche buyer and even if I was I'm not sure anyone really knows what prices will do as was pointed out above but I just feel a bit uneasy with the fact that the price of a 3 year old sports car hasn't taken a big depreciation hit.

Edited by rego

Thanks for the welcome 981KMan - my search kicked off when my sons gave me personal plates ending with the numeric "981" - there has not been many cars I found seriously tempting (perhaps 8-10 Australia wide) with the 1st being a highly optioned white Boxster S at Porsche Chellingworth back in late 2013. I spent hours on the configurator determining my ideal spec and visited a number of the larger dealers in the USA while on an extended holiday in 2014/15 (where you see a lot more cars, colours and options than typically on display locally).

Yes, mine is the yachting blue interior car - I am trying to get to PCM to request a copy of the full option list but the previous owner paid $239k new so the spec is generous! It has almost everything I would have ordered from new and some items I would have liked but would have passed on to keep a lid on the final price.

Yachting blue would not have been my first interior choice but I am warming to it after a couple of weeks and it is a colour I recall on some early 911's so not completely out of character. It also has a number of Porsche Exclusive options including lots of leather detailing (that I love) and colour coding of some exterior components (I would not have ordered). About the only additional item I would have ordered is a rear wiper which I understand is not to all tastes but (again) something I liked on old 911's.

Also worth mentioning that the previous owner was a thoroughly nice guy, a proper enthusiast and very genuine - important factors when buying privately!

David

Sent from my iPad

I think there was only about 300 sold per year of Caymans (someone will have the actual numbers) so there is not that many out there and split between S and base and then overlaying manual on that there will be very few unicorn S with manual and the "right" options. 

I have a base pdk Cayman and I love it. I drive it every day more or less and I know that there are faster cars out there and I don't give a shit because of the noise my angry little 2.7 makes as we go past 4500 rpm.  

I know I am getting pumped by depreciation but that seems to have stopped recently (if not slightly firmed). Anyway you might get a bargain or you might not. Times a waisting though! When you are not owning one. 

White 2015 Porsche Boxster GTS 981 in PDK with black rims, 3,139 km going for $159k driveaway: https://www.carsales.com.au/demo/details/Porsche-Boxster-2015/OAG-AD-14511559/?Cr=35

I think there was only about 300 sold per year of Caymans (someone will have the actual numbers) so there is not that many out there and split between S and base and then overlaying manual on that there will be very few unicorn S with manual and the "right" options. 

I have a base pdk Cayman and I love it. I drive it every day more or less and I know that there are faster cars out there and I don't give a shit because of the noise my angry little 2.7 makes as we go past 4500 rpm.  

I know I am getting pumped by depreciation but that seems to have stopped recently (if not slightly firmed). Anyway you might get a bargain or you might not. Times a waisting though! When you are not owning one. 

You are so right, it is eating up so much of my time not owning one haha! 

Yeah I think I vaguely remember reading that in an article somewhere that around 300 Caymans were sold in 2013 or 2014. I think I may ask my P sales consultant. Unicorn is the right way to describe it haha... Let's assume the split between base and S is say 3:1, so approx 75 in S models per year... Then PDK / Manual is about 8:1... leaving approx 8 manual S models sold per year. Multiply by say 4 years (2012/13 - 2015/16?) and we have about 32 manual S cars out there. Maybe 20% are red, so maybe that leaves only about 6 red Cayman S's out there? LOL... looks like I'll likely have to go with whatever options they have and retrofit what I want, or keep saving and expand the search by about 3 more to include the GTS :P Or just get an angry little 2.7 LOL! :D:D  Would be keen to know how many Boxsters sold each year then having done the man maths just then.....

Yes, mine is the yachting blue interior car - I am trying to get to PCM to request a copy of the full option list but the previous owner paid $239k new so the spec is generous! It has almost everything I would have ordered from new and some items I would have liked but would have passed on to keep a lid on the final price.

Yachting blue would not have been my first interior choice but I am warming to it after a couple of weeks and it is a colour I recall on some early 911's so not completely out of character. It also has a number of Porsche Exclusive options including lots of leather detailing (that I love) and colour coding of some exterior components (I would not have ordered). About the only additional item I would have ordered is a rear wiper which I understand is not to all tastes but (again) something I liked on old 911's.

Also worth mentioning that the previous owner was a thoroughly nice guy, a proper enthusiast and very genuine - important factors when buying privately!

Great backstory behind your purchase, David :) I was tempted to get myself a 981 number plate before I got the car also to keep reminding myself but I think that might be a bad idea or depressing :P  Awesome that the previous owner was a real enthusiast - it really does help knowing the car was well looked after. 

Nice one! I was eyeing that car because it was so heavily optioned and I think you got a relative bargain on it as he had specced it up really nicely. I think the Yachting blue is fine as it's not like it is a really loud colour like green or bright red and since he's already taken the big depreciation hit for all the options. I wonder if you could retrofit the rear wiper although it could be a bit of work in case you need a different stalk / switch + wiring. 

Agreed some of the optioned up cars are a bit more expensive but what options are worth is slightly debatable (sellers think they are worth more because they paid for them) so I went for the lowest cars on Carsales or used prices where I'd spoken to sellers or the 2 cars I've inspected with an intention to buy.

You are right the experience definitely isn't the same and I like the flat 6, at the end of the day though the 981 is a lot slower than the 718 which is the newer car and with the Cayman not really being a classic car I'm not sure if just being a 6 is enough to help it retain a lot of value outside of the unique cars like the Spyder/GT4. Having purchased a number of cars from different brands I feel like every time a new version comes out that does something different it's always said by enthusiasts that the last model will retain value but it rarely happens, to look at a recent example (admittedly not exactly the same as it is still a 6) the 991.1 is still depreciating heavily with the 991.2 having a bigger turbocharged engine that is faster.

Sounds like there is a little bit of leeway then on those prices then since you've gone through the exercise, especially those selling to upgrade or have a baby along the way!

I did find the 981S and 718 base comparable though. Maybe not the same turbo rush but definitely comparable. I think you said you drove the 718S which my sales consultant said was REALLY quick but I declined a test drive on that one because I'd rather buy a GTS for that kind of money. Did you find the 718S a lot faster than the 981S?
Actually what you said about last model retaining value rarely happening... that reminds me of the last of the V8 M3. Apparently they were meant to hold in value but they have dropped to the $80k range and below last time I checked. Think they were around $150k+ new so similar range to the 981CS. 

Edited by 981KMan

I'd be interested in that stat too. Out of 8 Spyders I am aware of, only 2 have the 918 seats fitted. The agate grey at PCSS and our white one.  Pretty sure there were total 25 brought in.

There was one for sale in the ACT around Sept/Oct/Nov on carsales that was silver with red interior that had them too. That one had only 1500kms on the clock.

Isn't Carrera White non-metallic? 

Edited by Apogee

There was one for sale in the ACT around Sept/Oct/Nov on carsales that was silver with red interior that had them too. That one had only 1500kms on the clock.

Isn't Carrera White non-metallic? 

thanks! do u mean this one in ACT? From the pics is appears to have GT2 bucket seats (not 918)? https://carsales.mobi/cars/details/Porsche-Boxster-2016/SSE-AD-4234958

i think "carrera white" is metallic ... the non metallic white is just called "white"... iirc

Sounds like there is a little bit of leeway then on those prices then since you've gone through the exercise, especially those selling to upgrade or have a baby along the way!

I did find the 981S and 718 base comparable though. Maybe not the same turbo rush but definitely comparable. I think you said you drove the 718S which my sales consultant said was REALLY quick but I declined a test drive on that one because I'd rather buy a GTS for that kind of money. Did you find the 718S a lot faster than the 981S?

Actually what you said about last model retaining value rarely happening... that reminds me of the last of the V8 M3. Apparently they were meant to hold in value but they have dropped to the $80k range and below last time I checked. Think they were around $150k+ new so similar range to the 981CS. 

Yeh there seems to be a bit of leeway, I'm not one to lowball people and am conscious not to offend but a couple of private sellers seemed to be negotiable out of the gate after an extended conversation.

I only got to drive the 718 Boxster S and not a 718 Cayman S. My experience was it felt more responsive and it's performance in the middle of the rev range really shined which gave it more linear power delivery than the 981S, if you have the opportunity I'd recommend you feel it for yourself.

The difference in tests seems to be big, comparing the Cayman 718 vs 981 Car and Driver tested and got to 3.6 seconds for 0-60 on the 718S, half a second quicker than the same test for the 981S and a 12 second quarter mile on the 718S which is 0.6 seconds quicker than the 981S http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-porsche-718-cayman-s-pdk-test-review.

thanks! do u mean this one in ACT? From the pics is appears to have GT2 bucket seats (not 918)? https://carsales.mobi/cars/details/Porsche-Boxster-2016/SSE-AD-4234958

i think "carrera white" is metallic ... the non metallic white is just called "white"... iirc

The one I saw did not have pics of it in the showroom - they were all on the side of the road in a built up area. It could have been but I need to see more pics to be sure. Perhaps I was mistaken about it having 918 seats.

My 987 Spyder is Carrera White and I don't see any metallic flakes or sheen to it.

Porsche has listed 2 shades of white since MY15 models became available in the 2nd half of 2014 - Carrara White is the metallic colour. It is very difficult to pick the difference in photos online. I have checked a brochure from late 2009 and it appears the non-metallic White was previously referenced as Carrara White so that is the reason for the confusion.

David