981 Cayman/Boxster Market Watch / How many manual 981CS's were delivered (ANSWERED)

Check out this Porsche Cayman.
https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-Cayman-2016/OAG-AD-14590868

This a well spec'ed and at a decent price.

I wonder why so many GT4 owners didn't spec the CS upgrade which includes the factory rollbar and Sports Bucket seats for an extra $11K. Those are the two things I thought would have been mandatory for a GT Porsche and would really appeal to the enthusiast - the main audience of the car. 

Edited by Apogee

I wonder why so my GT4 owners didn't spec the CS upgrade which includes the factory rollbar and Sports Bucket seats for an extra $11K. Those are the two things I thought would have been mandatory for a GT Porsche and would really appeal to the enthusiast - the main audience of the car. 

I have similar spec as the model advertised. If you want to do casual track days it's perfect. 

I just read the latest (May 17) Motor Magazine with their first drive of the 718 Cayman S.  The last paragraph sums it up pretty well:

"Make no mistake the 718 Cayman is an amazing car, bordering on driving nirvana, but more desirable than its brilliant predecessor?  We'd be driving a 981 Cayman GTS back-to-back prior to purchase, just to make sure"

HmqcM5x.png

@rego Almost May now and it does seem like your graph is pretty accurate in terms of trends. I've just spotted the first decent specced Cayman with PDK, PSE, Sports Chrono and 20" CS rims, breaking the $90k mark at $89,500 with 34,500kms on the dial. Must be coming off warranty and hitting the 4 year depreciation cycle?

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/SSE-AD-4646302?WT.seg_4=PriceAlert

cp5088919483777169571.jpg?aspect=centere

I just read the latest (May 17) Motor Magazine with their first drive of the 718 Cayman S.  The last paragraph sums it up pretty well:

"Make no mistake the 718 Cayman is an amazing car, bordering on driving nirvana, but more desirable than its brilliant predecessor?  We'd be driving a 981 Cayman GTS back-to-back prior to purchase, just to make sure"

Word. If I happen to pick up a Cayman GTS from a dealership one day, I'd definitely do it back to back with a 718 CS just for fun :) 

Edited by 981KMan

Interesting to see a couple of additional Cayman GTS listings added to Carsales this week - unfortunately for those hanging out for a manual, both have PDK transmissions. Dutton's is now advertising the mahogony GTS that has been listed for private sale in Queensland for the last 12 months at $10k less than the previous asking price - interesting to see how it goes in the Melbourne market where the colour (which is now a "special colour") may have slightly broader appeal - the painted wheels don't appeal to everyone! The other noteworthy feature is this car is fitted with the X73 sports chassis so no PASM.

The black GTS with PCCB has been listed at Porsche Melbourne ($200k), Porsche Brighton ($185k) and most recently with a non Porsche dealer about 6 months ago - I like the specification other than the black on black colour scheme - interestingly, PCB swapped the wheels from platinum to gloss black while they had it listed for sale. I know the earlier PCCB brakes were fragile due to a tendency to de-laminate but does anyone know what the more recent versions are like from a maintenance perspective?

David

Interesting to see a couple of additional Cayman GTS listings added to Carsales this week - unfortunately for those hanging out for a manual, both have PDK transmissions. Dutton's is now advertising the mahogony GTS that has been listed for private sale in Queensland for the last 12 months at $10k less than the previous asking price - interesting to see how it goes in the Melbourne market where the colour (which is now a "special colour") may have slightly broader appeal - the painted wheels don't appeal to everyone! The other noteworthy feature is this car is fitted with the X73 sports chassis so no PASM.

The black GTS with PCCB has been listed at Porsche Melbourne ($200k), Porsche Brighton ($185k) and most recently with a non Porsche dealer about 6 months ago - I like the specification other than the black on black colour scheme - interestingly, PCB swapped the wheels from platinum to gloss black while they had it listed for sale. I know the earlier PCCB brakes were fragile due to a tendency to de-laminate but does anyone know what the more recent versions are like from a maintenance perspective?

David

It is also interesting that 3 of the 4 GTS cars with PCCB are for sale at the moment.  The 4th one was resold by PCM about 12 months ago, it is a PDK Carmine red car.

The latest generation PCCB are much better than the earlier ones.  You can still cook PCCB, but the threshold is much higher.  From a maintenance perspective, some say to change the pads when they get ~50% worn as it helps avoid the heat transfer in to the rotor.

For those hanging out for a manual unfortunately it will be a long wait few and far between.

The spec of he black one is a bit strange, why go for a GTS to remove the interior ambience of the GTS, why not up-spec a Cayman S?

The spec of he black one is a bit strange, why go for a GTS to remove the interior ambience of the GTS, why not up-spec a Cayman S?

Hmmm, I've noticed both that Cayman and another Boxster GTS with the 'Alcantara delete' option a.k.a. deGTSify interior. Guess they don't like the Alcantara feel but it does make the interior look a lot plainer in comparison. Leather may be more practical... I currently own a car with a combination of alcantara and leather, and the alcantara seats tend to make things quite warm in summer. 

Interesting to see a couple of additional Cayman GTS listings added to Carsales this week - unfortunately for those hanging out for a manual, both have PDK transmissions. Dutton's is now advertising the mahogony GTS that has been listed for private sale in Queensland for the last 12 months at $10k less than the previous asking price - interesting to see how it goes in the Melbourne market where the colour (which is now a "special colour")

Yes I thought that mahogany GTS looked familiar! Very interesting seeing cars move around like that. The other very interesting one I saw was a red GT4 originally listed by PCSS at $239,900 with 88kms on the dial around March/April. Then saw it listed by a private seller in May at $235,000 with 826km and mention of 1 track day. Price then seemed to drop every few days, the track day comment was removed, and before I got to give anyone the heads up here of a potential deal, it was sold the other day at $210,000.  Not sure what was going on there, expensive change of mind?

Market Watch Update (May 2017)

In case anyone is lurking or looking, here's my observations over the past month. Generally it was a 'good' month for those being patient on buying a Boxster/Cayman base, Boxster/Cayman S or GT4. 

Caymans in general appear to be staying on the market longer as supply appears to be increasing. I see generally people are dropping prices by 5k - 10k after a few weeks (besides the GTS), including dealerships.

Base Caymans are dropping/trending towards the $90k mark (there was one anomaly a few months ago that sold for $80k with decent options, 'baby on the way', perhaps I should have snapped that up to drive in the meantime...), with the lowest now listed at $89k for a base car with the only 1 option being PDK. About 1-2 manuals listed. 

Cayman S's are dropping/trending towards the $115k mark, all PDK, no manuals. 

A few Cayman GTS's listed and they seem to be holding their value with the median around $180k. @NBTBRV8 your car is looking very appealing :)

More GT4's being listed and dropping in price, trending towards $210k-$220k. Quite a few red ones... brilliant colour. Again I ask the question of why people are only keeping it for less than a year? Are that many people speculating or is it owners that have the means to change cars every year?

Base Boxsters are trending towards $80k with lots of option-less ones (besides PDK) listed around that price, and those with options around $90k.

Boxster S's are trending towards $105k-ish, mostly PDK, 1 or 2 manuals. 

Boxster GTS listed at $139,900 - Porsche approved: https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-Boxster-2014/OAG-AD-14652823/?Cr=0  That's the lowest I've seen. Otherwise, they're averaging around $165k. 

I think I'm in for a loooong wait for a Cayman S manual in red but I guess the plus side is that it'll be at a lower price leaving me some change to spend on retrofits and maintenance if need be. Would it be worth considering a base model at a good price (i.e. spending $25k less than an S) to satisfy some of the craving now and then upgrading to a 981 GTS/GT4 or 718 GT4 RS when finances permit in a few years, or is it usually better to save and wait as one would lose out too much in depreciation?

My man maths suggests that the base model's depreciation would be less dollar-wise (not percentage-wise) over a couple of years compared with if I were lucky enough to own the S/GTS now, and so I may not be "worse off" financially. Of course, one could argue that I could just invest the money now or put it into the mortgage, meaning more to spend later. Would be keen to hear your experiences :)

Market Watch Update (May 2017)

In case anyone is lurking or looking, here's my observations over the past month. Generally it was a 'good' month for those being patient on buying a Boxster/Cayman base, Boxster/Cayman S or GT4. 

Caymans in general appear to be staying on the market longer as supply appears to be increasing. I see generally people are dropping prices by 5k - 10k after a few weeks (besides the GTS), including dealerships.

Base Caymans are dropping/trending towards the $90k mark (there was one anomaly a few months ago that sold for $80k with decent options, 'baby on the way', perhaps I should have snapped that up to drive in the meantime...), with the lowest now listed at $89k for a base car with the only 1 option being PDK. About 1-2 manuals listed. 

Cayman S's are dropping/trending towards the $115k mark, all PDK, no manuals. 

A few Cayman GTS's listed and they seem to be holding their value with the median around $180k. @NBTBRV8 your car is looking very appealing :)

More GT4's being listed and dropping in price, trending towards $210k-$220k. Quite a few red ones... brilliant colour. Again I ask the question of why people are only keeping it for less than a year? Are that many people speculating or is it owners that have the means to change cars every year?

Base Boxsters are trending towards $80k with lots of option-less ones (besides PDK) listed around that price, and those with options around $90k.

Boxster S's are trending towards $105k-ish, mostly PDK, 1 or 2 manuals. 

Boxster GTS listed at $139,900 - Porsche approved: https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-Boxster-2014/OAG-AD-14652823/?Cr=0  That's the lowest I've seen. Otherwise, they're averaging around $165k. 

I think I'm in for a loooong wait for a Cayman S manual in red but I guess the plus side is that it'll be at a lower price leaving me some change to spend on retrofits and maintenance if need be. Would it be worth considering a base model at a good price (i.e. spending $25k less than an S) to satisfy some of the craving now and then upgrading to a 981 GTS/GT4 or 718 GT4 RS when finances permit in a few years, or is it usually better to save and wait as one would lose out too much in depreciation?

My man maths suggests that the base model's depreciation would be less dollar-wise (not percentage-wise) over a couple of years compared with if I were lucky enough to own the S/GTS now, and so I may not be "worse off" financially. Of course, one could argue that I could just invest the money now or put it into the mortgage, meaning more to spend later. Would be keen to hear your experiences :)

I’m happy to say that I picked myself up a 2013 Boxster S from an interstate Porsche dealer at a price I was very happy with last week, delivery is happening this coming week.

I went through a similar thought process to you, regarding your questions it’s up to you but I’d consider these 4 things:
- Any time you buy a car you take a risk that it’s a lemon so if you buy 2 cars you take that risk twice (if you buy from a dealer this risk is reduced).
- You need to pay stamp duty on the car you buy, in NSW stamp duty is 4.1k for a 100k car so that is a sunk cost when you buy a car which you pay twice if you decide to buy 2 cars to get to the one you want and is effectively a 4-5% hit on whatever car you buy.
- As you already know in addition to depreciation anytime you have money tied up in a car you have an opportunity loss of what you’d make investing that money or if you take a loan you lose the loan costs you pay as well as the depreciation so for every 100k you are up for roughly 5k a year lost in interest or lost opportunity for investment.
- If you buy a base model while you wait for your ideal car to come up you need to make sure you have the cash to buy a second car while you list the other. If you need to sell the car to a dealer or sell at a discount to offload quickly you would lose a lot of money.

I don’t know your situation well enough but my general thought though is that most of these cars have already lost 40-45% or so of their original value so the big hit has been taken, the smart move financially is not to buy one of these cars at all but if it was my money I’d spend the extra 20k or so difference to get an S now and start enjoying it as I feel the 2.7 is slightly lacking.

The depreciation between the base and S models is pretty close to linear so your additional loss is effectively the depreciation on the difference between the two models. From the numbers I've looked at the percentage depreciation should be the least on the base Cayman so if you were to buy a base model for a couple of years it’s a decent choice.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m happy to say that I picked myself up a 2013 Boxster S from an interstate Porsche dealer at a price I was very happy with last week, delivery is happening this coming week.

I went through a similar thought process to you, regarding your questions it’s up to you but I’d consider these 4 things:
- lemon
- stamp duty 
- depreciation ... opportunity loss 
cash to buy a second car

.....but if it was my money I’d spend the extra 20k or so difference to get an S now and start enjoying it as I feel the 2.7 is slightly lacking.

Hey @rego, congrats again on the purchase mate :) Looks great in the white...making me envious haha! And thanks very much again for summing it up the thought process nicely :) It's a good reminder that it's better to just be patient and hold out for the car that you're after, rather than "settling" for something in the meantime. And given Murphy's Law, I bet if I pulled the trigger a base, the perfect S would come up LOL then I'd be kicking myself for the huge hassle to changeover without copping a loss and taking a cashflow hit. So I'm just going to be patient and ride it out........

Go on, you know you want it.  Make me a good offer ;)

I may have to if I'm still on this thread next year just watching the market and still waiting! :D By then, I might have saved enough but it'll be long gone from you! Hope you've had decent enquiries mate and certainly not a bad thing to keep holding on to it and enjoying it I bet.

Not too much going on in the market since my last update as the trend is still continuing, but have spotted a few things:

1. 981 Boxster Spyder - $290k ex on roads  :o  https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-4750878?WT.seg_4=AutoAlert;PCAA
    Approaching GT3 territory...

2. 981 Boxster GTS - with a Spyder badge on it and a "Porsche '918 Homage Pack'" ? Is that a borrowed image and a typo?

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/SSE-AD-4119773?WT.seg_4=PriceAlert

cp5582636529908018592.jpg?aspect=FitWith

Mine is going in to the dealer on consignment next week, so I stop putting ks on it.

I'll be sad to see it go, it is such a great car. :(

:( Oh man... just keep thinking how sweet the 911 will be. Is it going to end up in Melbourne?

I think that spyder image is to show the design link between it and the 981 scripts on the car. It's a good spec, poor chap has done less than 1000k.

Ah I see :) That makes sense then. Yeah, not even run in yet!

There is an interesting backstory to the Guards Red Boxster GTS with the "981 homage pack" (see above) on the Planet 9 forum - search under matthew888981.

Ouch. Interesting that those threads are over a year old, is this the first time it's been listed? I would've had it on sale as soon as I got it, especially before the 718 release.

• 2 weeks later...

No, it will be a Porsche Hobart

I noticed it up the other day on my Carsales notifications. Hope you manage to get a good price for it to fund your next purchase! I'm sure you're missing it already.....

There is an interesting backstory to the Guards Red Boxster GTS with the "981 homage pack" (see above) on the Planet 9 forum - search under matthew888981.

Ouch. Interesting that those threads are over a year old, is this the first time it's been listed? I would've had it on sale as soon as I got it, especially before the 718 release.

Wow @nytelfer how did you manage to find that story? What a backstory indeed! I feel for the guy getting screwed by his business partner. 

@grantmr It does look like it's the first time because it's got his name against it. I think maybe the guy did get things sorted out a little bit as I noticed he started another thread about getting a GT3 RS wheel installed. Hopefully things ended up better than expected for him in the end.

The other very interesting one I saw was a red GT4 originally listed by PCSS at $239,900 with 88kms on the dial around March/April. Then saw it listed by a private seller in May at $235,000 with 826km and mention of 1 track day. Price then seemed to drop every few days, the track day comment was removed, and before I got to give anyone the heads up here of a potential deal, it was sold the other day at $210,000.  Not sure what was going on there, expensive change of mind?

Actually looks like this car was sold back to PCSS and is now being listed at $229,900. Very recognisable number plate. PCSS might get to sell it twice or maybe for the third time :P https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/_/OAG-AD-14685558?WT.seg_4=AutoAlert;PCAA

Anyone after a Porsche Approved lime gold metallic Boxster S? ;) Comes with PSE, PASM and Sports Chrono!

cd5217009709607655686.jpg?aspect=FitWith

I noticed it up the other day on my Carsales notifications. Hope you manage to get a good price for it to fund your next purchase! I'm sure you're missing it already.....

I still own it, they are selling it on consignment.

Yes I do miss the driving experience, but I am looking forward, not backwards.

Yup, I remembered you were doing it on consignment so I said 'manage' instead of 'managed' :D Best of luck mate!

Here you can see that beautiful colour on a Cayman ;)

IMG_3886.jpg