981 Cayman/Boxster Market Watch / How many manual 981CS's were delivered (ANSWERED)

The Lime Gold Boxster S looks reasonably priced for a well optioned car - the colour does not appeal to everyone but I like the exclusivity and Lime Gold suits the lines of 981 series cars well (and better than the 991 cars). The specification with PSE, Sport Chono, PASM, PDK & ventilated seats etc is excellent albeit the multi-function steering wheel would not have been my choice. PCM seems to have a decent supply of used 981 Boxster S models in white with manual transmissions - 2 listed currently and they recently sold another white manual S with red roof. The Carmine Red Boxster GTS in Adelaide looks to be good value at $143k with only 11,000km - at the other end of the spectrum, the $195k asking price on the Carmine Red Cayman GTS in Doncaster might be ambitious in the current market notwithstanding km are low.

Your own pics were pretty good before, I think I liked them more :) I would've gotten the smoker's package too just for the centre console cover ;)

The Lime Gold Boxster S looks reasonably priced for a well optioned car - the colour does not appeal to everyone.... The specification with PSE, Sport Chono, PASM, PDK & ventilated seats etc is excellent albeit the multi-function steering wheel would not have been my choice.

Totally agree with you there, not sure why they picked the great options and then not the sports steering wheel to go with it. Think they needed to price the car lower that due to the colour as I'm guessing lemon and lime are harder colours to sell :)

Edited by 981KMan

Thank you kind sir. As soon as that popped up on my carsales feed, I did a double take as I'd never seen that alert come up before for a manual CS. It was a bit cruel seeing so many options on it that I didn't need and pushing the price up, and one of my least preferred colours. Gives me hope though to keep searching for that unicorn!

Thank you kind sir. As soon as that popped up on my carsales feed, I did a double take as I'd never seen that alert come up before for a manual CS. It was a bit cruel seeing so many options on it that I didn't need and pushing the price up, and one of my least preferred colours. Gives me hope though to keep searching for that unicorn!

That's a great colour!

I think this is the one you have been looking for so time to start negotiating with the dealer.  Options are what dealer hope will keep the price higher on a second hand car but we all know that this is not the case.  Options cost the first owner a bomb but these are just added features that make the car better than the next one when comes time to sell, not an opportunity to recover the cost of the options.  The price quoted is not even drive away and it's a 2013 model.  In my opinion this car should be no more than $125,000 drive away (tops) and then start dealing.  I would offer $120,000 drive away or even less and see how you go.  Good luck.

From recent experience, I would not be paying more than $120k driveaway - it is well optioned but to Phil's point, it is a 2013 model so no longer under warranty (unless it has been extended) - the other point is it has travelled 41,500km so not exactly low km. Colour is obviously a personal choice - I like the dark metallic blue if only because it is slightly less common but I would have gone with the 2-tone black & luxor combination for the interior for a bit more contrast with the exterior. 

That's a great colour!

I definitely don't mind the colour but personally prefer to see it on someone else's car ;) If a dark colour, I'd just prefer black if going to the trouble of keeping a dark car clean... If it's a bright colour, then I can't go past red... personally speaking :P  

I think this is the one you have been looking for so time to start negotiating with the dealer.  Options are what dealer hope will keep the price higher on a second hand car but we all know that this is not the case.  Options cost the first owner a bomb but these are just added features that make the car better than the next one when comes time to sell, not an opportunity to recover the cost of the options.  The price quoted is not even drive away and it's a 2013 model.  In my opinion this car should be no more than $125,000 drive away (tops) and then start dealing.  I would offer $120,000 drive away or even less and see how you go.  Good luck.

From recent experience, I would not be paying more than $120k driveaway - it is well optioned but to Phil's point, it is a 2013 model so no longer under warranty (unless it has been extended) - the other point is it has travelled 41,500km so not exactly low km. Colour is obviously a personal choice - I like the dark metallic blue if only because it is slightly less common but I would have gone with the 2-tone black & luxor combination for the interior for a bit more contrast with the exterior. 

Thanks Phil and nytelfer :) It sort of is the car I've been waiting for (especially if I could get it for $120k drive away which is around the going rate for a PDK S and the extensive options are very nice to have) but it sort of isn't at the same time. I wouldn't be able to get past the colour combo which is what made it a bit cruel and the warranty has not been extended on this one with the kms high-ish + 2013 model as you guys have mentioned. Seems like a reputable dealer but my preference would still be one that's at least under extended warranty or Porsche Approved. I agree that the original owner paid well in the CGTS territory and that they're just trying to recover costs from options which is always a tough ask so my honest feedback to the seller when contacted was that it's a lot of options I don't need pushing the price up. At less than the advertised price, a Boxster GTS could be had. They have my details and will have to find a more suitable one for me or drop the price and wrap the car in another colour :P

Not as good as a red GTS though ;)

100% agree with you there :D Big fan of carmine red.

981 Spyder alert 268,888*
https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/_/OAG-AD-14835135?WT.seg_4=AutoAlert;PCAA

Pretty sure it's the same as the one advertised at over $300k driveway earlier: https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-4750878?WT.seg_4=AutoAlert;PCAA

Edited by 981KMan

tell him he's dreaming

I know this guy his name is Ken Jokin'.......

Recently (like today's good idea) I have come to the realisation that good project 911s at a reasonable price just don't exist. Also after owning the 964 I have become spoilt. I also want a car with the mod cons I can track without worrying about it, the wifey can drive and is not too old which has its own inherent problems. Cayman seems ticks all these boxes for me and the bang for buck is great compared to a 911.

To me the Cayman market appear to be a buyers market they just sit and sit, which is somewhat refreshing. As pointed out here manual 981 just don't seem to exist which surprised me. 

Being new to the Cayman market my question is what is the good buying guide price on something like this.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Cayman-2014/SSE-AD-4815119 :wub:

At the moment there are no manual 987s on the market in Vic, in hindsight I should have bought the tracked silver/orange one a month or so ago. 

This looked clean and was sold recently, so is the low $50K where a good 987 CS manual is at ?

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Cayman-2006/SSE-AD-4779291

Fraz the 981 is right on the asking money but without the sports exhaust is lacking in one key area but only 12000 klm is great and it is out of warranty or close to it.  If not out of warranty for $1590 you can extend it for 1 year which could be a wise thing to do.  Asking $119k is one thing getting is another.  I would say an offer of $110,000 would get the seller talking.  I would not pay more than $112500.  I am very pro 981 rather than 987 because it looks more aggressive (sorry Niko).

The whole Porsche market seems pretty subdued at the moment.  GT3s', RS', GT4s' and turbos don't seem to be selling, so I think it is all up and down the model range.  Maybe as people's bonuses start coming through in the new FY and tax time is over that we will see some movements.  So I think it is a buyers market all across the range.

my question is what is the good buying guide price on something like this.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Cayman-2014/SSE-AD-4815119 :wub:

At the moment there are no manual 987s on the market in Vic, in hindsight I should have bought the tracked silver/orange one a month or so ago. 

This looked clean and was sold recently, so is the low $50K where a good 987 CS manual is at ?

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Cayman-2006/SSE-AD-4779291

The 981 at 120k in PDK S and typically 20" wheels plus a couple of the following options such as sports chrono, sports exhaust/PSE, PASM, bose, sports steering wheel, is about the going driveaway price to aim for a Porsche Approved 2013/14 model generally around/under 30,000kms. Less if it's a stripper (optionless car) or yellow or lime gold. As Phil suggested, the private asking price is a little high given that it's a private sale and there's no mention of warranty so most likely it has expired and hasn't/couldn't be extended. A prepurchase inspection would be recommended if the price was closer to 100k and worth considering. I would not buy the 981 privately without warranty as we can pay just a bit more for peace of mind. Boxster S prices have come down quite a bit recently and I think the Cayman S is starting to follow suit as the end of warranty nears. 

I looked at the 987 for a while also and I came to the conclusion it might be safer to go for a 987.2 to not have to worry about the IMS issues of the 987.1. However I have seen some 987.2 Cayman S (quite a few in manual) start getting close to the 981 Cayman base models around the $80k mark.

Wishing you luck in your search :) if you're after manual then it's more common in the Boxster/Cayman base, Boxster S and Cayman GTS. 

The whole Porsche market seems pretty subdued at the moment.  GT3s', RS', GT4s' and turbos don't seem to be selling, so I think it is all up and down the model range.  Maybe as people's bonuses start coming through in the new FY and tax time is over that we will see some movements.  So I think it is a buyers market all across the range.

good observation, more movement leading up to calendar year end. Generally i've seen 981's over $130k or 40,000kms stay on the market for a long time. GT4 prices get discounted at $10-15k at a time, GTS's around $5k-$10k with dealer offers...would love one but sadly does not make financial sense for me.

Hi Fraz - I purchased a 981 Cayman S with 18,500km a little over 3 months - it is also a 2014 build and the warranty had been extended to May 2018. I paid very close to the asking price on the 12,000km car although mine has a more generous specification (over 40 factory options) so I would expect you could get the seller well below the current asking price. On the question of 987 vs 981 series, my view is the premium for the newer models is well worth it - much newer platform and styling better resolved (obviously personal view).

Fraz rego is due in August on 981 so looking at the rego plate and due date I would say warranty runs out in August so still time to extend if you buy it at the right price.  My rego is due in December and Rego is close to this one and my warranty runs out in December.  I am extending for 2 years ($2700) as the PCM just blew up and is being repaired under warranty (new unit going in @$4500 plus labour.  That is why I am keeping the warranty active.  These things cost too much when they break so I think extending the warranty is a no brainer for peace of mind

The 981 at 120k in PDK S and typically 20" wheels plus a couple of the following options such as sports chrono, sports exhaust/PSE, PASM, bose, sports steering wheel, is about the going driveaway price to aim for a Porsche Approved 2013/14 model generally around/under 30,000kms. Less if it's a stripper (optionless car) or yellow or lime gold. As Phil suggested, the private asking price is a little high given that it's a private sale and there's no mention of warranty so most likely it has expired and hasn't/couldn't be extended. A prepurchase inspection would be recommended if the price was closer to 100k and worth considering. I would not buy the 981 privately without warranty as we can pay just a bit more for peace of mind. Boxster S prices have come down quite a bit recently and I think the Cayman S is starting to follow suit as the end of warranty nears. 

I looked at the 987 for a while also and I came to the conclusion it might be safer to go for a 987.2 to not have to worry about the IMS issues of the 987.1. However I have seen some 987.2 Cayman S (quite a few in manual) start getting close to the 981 Cayman base models around the $80k mark.

Wishing you luck in your search :) if you're after manual then it's more common in the Boxster/Cayman base, Boxster S and Cayman GTS. 

good observation, more movement leading up to calendar year end. Generally i've seen 981's over $130k or 40,000kms stay on the market for a long time. GT4 prices get discounted at $10-15k at a time, GTS's around $5k-$10k with dealer offers...would love one but sadly does not make financial sense for me.

What is the most you can stretch too?

Good to know you can renew the warranty after it expires, I didn't think that was possible in AU. I still think a Porsche pre-purchase inspection (PPI) would be an absolute must to get a list of things to fix and a quote to fix it all up to get the warranty to see if it's worthwhile or not, but it's still good to know if a relative bargain comes along. 

And yep you guys beat me to it :) Just dropped it 10k. Maybe it was to generate buzz and they knew it all along. Nice tactic. 

What is the most you can stretch too?

Basically a Cayman S around $120k would be ideal and "sensible" and somewhat tax effective, and still leave me with room to invest in appreciating assets :) Could stretch for a GTS/GT4 if I was being silly but now is not the time with a growing family lol

Screen Shot 2017-06-24 at 3.54.10 pm.png

Edited by 981KMan