What next?

GUT

I have an R32 GTR and there is a lot to like but let's just say I never drive it in preference to any of my Porsches. I had an E36 M3 and IMHO they're yuk. Bad plastics, bad seats, the engine wasn't that great, never got the clutch and gearbox feeling right no matter how much money was spent. I wanted to like it, really wanted to, but never could. Don't do it.

really? mine's been an absolute peach, whole driveline feels like some german has rubbed butter into every movable surface, it's extremely slick and revs like a dream, gearshift and clutch action are perfectly weighted to match each other. i do have M5 clutch and lightened flywheel and hartmann exhaust/hiflow cats though , but not much else. carbon airbox and tune would be the next thing i spend money on but not inclined to touch it any further.

seats i've got no complaints they are pretty supportive, have driven 3000km in them up and down the east coast- would go recaros if i wanted some weight out of them though..

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

really? mine's been an absolute peach, whole driveline feels like some german has rubbed butter into every movable surface, it's extremely slick and revs like a dream, gearshift and clutch action are perfectly weighted to match each other. i do have M5 clutch and lightened flywheel and hartmann exhaust/hiflow cats though , but not much else. carbon airbox and tune would be the next thing i spend money on but not inclined to touch it any further.

seats i've got no complaints they are pretty supportive, have driven 3000km in them up and down the east coast- would go recaros if i wanted some weight out of them though..

Yes really but it sounds like your experience was different so perhaps GUTTY should drive one and see what he thinks. Perhaps mine was no good?

Yes really but it sounds like your experience was different so perhaps GUTTY should drive one and see what he thinks. Perhaps mine was no good?

mine is an earlier 3.0L with the shorter stroke, if yours was a 3.2 they do have a different, weaker box (and a welcome extra 40hp!) so something may have been amiss, but otherwise yeah i may have lucked out?

Maybe you got a Friday lemon...ha ha...I currently own a 3.0 E36 & it's sensational. Beautifully built, tough & fun to drive. We just got back from a Speedweek where it did a respectable 165+ mph. Not bad for a 3 litre normally aspirated car !! I think at current prices they are a bargain...

I've been very impressed with AndrewW's Cayman S over the last week in Tassie, that thing is a very well balanced rocket ship of a car. For the $45k or so it cost I can't think of anything better for the money, proper little point and squirt toy but refined for the long journey if needed. Considering the way he could keep tabs on Nick's GT3 it has to be the performance car bargain of the century. The exhaust mod he's had done also made it sound the dogs twitcher ?

Hey Rob, the further sub $100k, the better.

can't think of many desirable Porsches well short of $100k

Maybe a Cayman S but not much else.  All the good stuff seems to command $100k+.   Even with unlimited budget, it's tough to find VALUE in the P market.

I used to own a hotted up datto (1600)... (way back) ... the next step up was to get a turbo engine which alot of maniacs got done.  I had dellorto carbys....  I love the boxy look, double headlights (hence I've owned E30 beemers as well)....  but for well under, not $100k, but under $40k, they are the great fun. The GOR was a blast!!  The carbys sounded brilliant, loud, rumbling and they handle great...  cheap & fun... smile on the dial!! 

I've been very impressed with AndrewW's Cayman S over the last week in Tassie, that thing is a very well balanced rocket ship of a car. For the $45k or so it cost I can't think of anything better for the money, proper little point and squirt toy but refined for the long journey if needed. Considering the way he could keep tabs on Nick's GT3 it has to be the performance car bargain of the century. The exhaust mod he's had done also made it sound the dogs twitcher ?

Try chasing him in an old SC every other weekend. Bastard! ;) 

It does sound bloody good now too

@gut - you need to wet your juices on a modern P Car - 996 or Cayman S is my suggestion....but you know regardless you're destined for a GT3 so maybe just bight the bullet and do it now 

you have to drive a mid engine before ruling them out

I used to own a hotted up datto (1600)... (way back) ...

:D

My first car was a Datto 1600 which ended up with a hot L18 I had built up with side draft Webbers and matched to a Stanza 5 speed gearbox . Still regret selling that car...

Always been a huge fan of the two door 510 which unfortunately never came to our shores. Therefore I have been trawling the Japanese sites for a clean right hand drive. I really want to go crazy with it and fit a Turbo SR20 engine and the rest; unfortunately all the cars I've seen so far are clean originals (SSS Bluebirds) which I wouldn't feel right modifying.

it always descends into Datto talk.........there was a very clean imported 2 door 1600, all original, on CarSales recently for $42k ?  

I like this Z and the old school Weber vibe.  But I reckon a few weeks into ownership, I'd be cursing the petrol fumes and coughing and spluttering and constant fettling of Webers.  I thought 2 of them was bad, try 3!  Throwing an RB in seems wrong but it would be a whole lot easier to live with.   

cp4783325420010230623.jpg?aspect=FitWith

1972 Datsun 240Z Manual

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Datsun-240Z-1972/SSE-AD-4425052

with that in mind, how about this.  $10k cheaper, much faster and more reliable, looks tidy.  Not a fan of the wheels, easy fixed. Been on market literally for years.  Been waiting a long time for his round Australia trip. Offer $35k ?

cp5029461880493071824.jpg?aspect=FitWith

1974 Datsun 260Z Manual
https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Datsun-260Z-1974/SSE-AD-3437344

Uthis would be a laugh to go cruising with the family.......until it shat itself and stranded you kilometres from home.

cp4725467618846446559.jpg?aspect=FitWith

1974 Citroen DS-23 Safari
https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Citroen-DS-23-1974/SSE-AD-4632824

it always descends into Datto talk.........there was a very clean imported 2 door 1600, all original, on CarSales recently for $42k ?  

Yes saw that. Again too original to feel comfortable going modern on in my opinion. Could though go all out on the L series engine...

But really thinking something along the lines of this /TUNED Turbocharged Datsun 510

How about a rare, fast Audi wagon

cp5527185143111279166.jpg?aspect=FitWith

2000 Audi RS4 Manual quattro

• 150,500 km
  • Wagon
  • Manual
  • 6cyl 2.7L T Petrol

Private

For more information on this vehicle please visit:
https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Audi-RS4-2000/SSE-AD-4654599

Yes saw that. Again too original to feel comfortable going modern on in my opinion. Could though go all out on the L series engine...

But really thinking something along the lines of this /TUNED Turbocharged Datsun 510

I wanted to build one with a 300hp NA engine......until I discovered the cost, many tends of thousands which makes it uneconomic.

http://lescollinsracing.com/engine/projects-engine/bdka-racer

:D

My first car was a Datto 1600 which ended up with a hot L18 I had built up with side draft Webbers and matched to a Stanza 5 speed gearbox . 

yep, me too, L18, 5 sp stanza box! 200B front end. Mine only had 130 horses but the torque kicked in quick. The turbos had 200+ hp... Scary!

@GUT... You said u want a beast, a modern Audi or Cayman doesn't sound like what you're after... Too sedate...

Or get a mid-2000 Cayman $40-50k and strip it down, take out everything and then pump it up! Make it a Cayman RRRSSS!

Back in the early '90's a Datto 1600 with I think an FJ20 turbo donk managed to spin on a very straight stretch of road and ended up in my front yard. Number plate 'DATMAD'. Anyone remember it? I'd seen it around a bit before then - dark metallic green.

I like this Z and the old school Weber vibe.  But I reckon a few weeks into ownership, I'd be cursing the petrol fumes and coughing and spluttering and constant fettling of Webers.  I thought 2 of them was bad, try 3!  Throwing an RB in seems wrong but it would be a whole lot easier to live with.  

webers are fine- my Z runs better with them on an excellent quality kameari manifold. way smoother than the old SU's were.

the letdown is the 5 speed box which at it's best is like a munted 915 to shift, with a weird gap in gear ratios between 2nd and 3rd, no easy solution to removing the rear drums without foraging for parts from 8 different cars from the wreckers (same for stronger R200 diff and stub axles), and as you say, the incessant fumes..

for a fun datsun better off spending it on importing a two door 510 or hotrodding a 1200 coupe (mate has one and it's a riot).

Archived