New Zealand Boxster Adventures

Pukaki and the road out to Mount Cook .. you will love 

Also get yourself in a glider at Twizel.. im not a big flyer but that is a spectacle not to be missed.

But also try going further down to Invercargill

Keep the suggestions coming as this is as much about non driving adventures too.  Gliding is a great idea - http://www.glideomarama.com/ 

Would love to give this a go, though not sure my neck is up to the Gs!  We only made it as far south as Queenstown last time I was touring around so would love to check out Inverargill etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv0pI_9JqaU 

Wellington to Picton ferry is about $200 with a car and takes 3 hours.  I note the sailing route goes all through the small islands at the top of the south island.

https://www.interislander.co.nz/

Photos below from a 2005 trip.  Very small dirt road from the main road to the winery resulted in this sign!  Needless to say Central Otago wineries are on the list of places to visit.

IMG_4878_zpsrbyfedg1.jpg

IMG_4880_zpsnmr2ng8k.jpg

IMG_4881_zpsfkyioroy.jpg

And back to driving these were taken on the same day....from our campervan...No wonder I swore to return in something better one day.

IMG_4923_zpsaa38wlnv.jpg

IMG_4924_zpsiv5okjcy.jpg

IMG_4925_zps5a7vw50t.jpg

Keep the suggestions coming as this is as much about non driving adventures too.  Gliding is a great idea - http://www.glideomarama.com/ 

Would love to give this a go, though not sure my neck is up to the Gs!  We only made it as far south as Queenstown last time I was touring around so would love to check out Inverargill etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv0pI_9JqaU 

For Jet boating , at Hawea there seems to be a lot of action ..but its a few years .. since I drowned the EX wife in the lake there.. she was boxster driver too ;)

So, drive down to New Plymouth today. Drove 50/50 with a mate and it was a long drive. Lots of twisty roads but as it's the main road it's trafficked. Luckily the locals know how to drive and it flows OK. As a result of my plane being late we drove into darkness just as things got really twisty and the heavens opened up too, making driving conditions worthy of concentration! Roads were really rough in surface texture so the road noise in the convertible was high too. 

Because we had to get to our destination I've barely  stopped to look at the car but it's in really good condition. The 2.9l is a nice unit. Revs nicely and is smooth and has enough torque, if not torque rich. Brake pedal is long and soft for my tastes but it pulls up well. Steering is nice and clutch and gear change are light and sweet. Comfy seats, but no Bluetooth hands free or cruise control are a let down. Oh well. New zorst isn't that loud so along with the way the engine revs happily I often found I wasn't sure what gear I was in. Overall not as engaging than the GT3 but what do you expect?

Looks are iffy as with all Boxsters but that's not what this car is about, but hopefully some lowering and OZ wheels will sort some of that.

Radar detector worked well but there was little cause for using it as the law was mostly absent. We had some good stretches where we were holding decent speeds through straights and sweepers, occasionally becoming indecent.

Drove past Hampton Downs and it appears to have a lot of elevation changes so would make an interesting change to AU tracks. Roll on August.

Overall very happy. Tomorrow and Weds we're expecting sun and dry weather so good for Taranaki and for exploring the handling of the car as we drive the Taranaki surrounds and head back to Auckland.

Only photo of the day below. Parked up outside the hotel in New Plymouth.

786A71E4-E9A4-4A85-BFEF-8F09D21CC5EA_zps

First a Boxster and now cinnamon on ya coffee - Be careful be very careful, a Coxster can turn you..... Top photo by the way!

Funny you should say that. This is me and my flamboyant friend Steve in the Coxster boulevarding with the top down.

1502AA56-C232-4199-A9F7-86C04C56AEB1_zps

Try cinnamon on your coffee next time you have one.

no no No No NO!! Crazy kiwis with their Cappuccinos. 'Do you want chocolate or cinnaomon'..... NO!!

Next you will be coming back here and asking for a 'pottle' of yogurt. 

P.S. maybe being married to a Kiwi has made me a little sensitive.... 

Edited by MFX

Wellington to Picton ferry is about $200 with a car and takes 3 hours.  I note the sailing route goes all through the small islands at the top of the south island.

https://www.interislander.co.nz/

Photos below from a 2005 trip.  Very small dirt road from the main road to the winery resulted in this sign!  Needless to say Central Otago wineries are on the list of places to visit.

IMG_4878_zpsrbyfedg1.jpg

IMG_4880_zpsnmr2ng8k.jpg

IMG_4881_zpsfkyioroy.jpg

And back to driving these were taken on the same day....from our campervan...No wonder I swore to return in something better one day.

IMG_4923_zpsaa38wlnv.jpg

IMG_4924_zpsiv5okjcy.jpg

IMG_4925_zps5a7vw50t.jpg

My wife and I got engaged at Chard Farm.  Nice little winery.

You can actually see Mt Egmont (Taranaki)? - amazing!  I lived in New Plymouth and it was generally acknowledged that if you could see the mountain it was going to rain.  If you couldn't see it, it was already raining.  The weather gods are smiling - or maybe climate change has made things better since I lived there;)

NZ driving is great, but not as benign as it was.  'Certain' tourists are known to cause problems - often with fatal results.  I recently rounded a blind corner only to be confronted with a camper van abandoned in the middle of the road with its occupants snapping happily away, so I would urge caution.

There is also a nasty little habit the locals have implemented where anyone who observes 'anti-social' driving can call a number (555 IIRC - maybe wrong) and the police will hunt down the perps, so be careful...

You might want to consider doing a Targa NZ tour later in the year - great fun.  IIRC this year they're running all the way down to Wellington.  The tour now has two classes - one where helmets are required (but no cage) with a 160km/hr limit.  Faster and more flowing than Targa Tas - Great fun!

I have my 944 Turbo holed up in Christchurch to do precisely what you're doing. 

Looks like you guys are having a fantastic time - thanks for the great commentary and photos!

so mr. Chops, this job of yours is it up for grabs. I could come out of my sabbatical to do it

I like my job Mr W :).

Isn't this meant to be a work trip Nick? If so, I'll put my hand up for it too... Great pics, I need to plan another driving holiday... 

Kimda what my wife said. But work was done. We hired a Project manager for Queensland out of New Plymouth, and inspected our job at the stadium, did some training with out NZ PM, inspected some Auckland jobs did some, erm, team building. Hard work but someone's got to do it. And yes driving holidays are what we work for.

You can actually see Mt Egmont (Taranaki)? - amazing!  I lived in New Plymouth and it was generally acknowledged that if you could see the mountain it was going to rain.  If you couldn't see it, it was already raining.  The weather gods are smiling - or maybe climate change has made things better since I lived there;)

NZ driving is great, but not as benign as it was.  'Certain' tourists are known to cause problems - often with fatal results.  I recently rounded a blind corner only to be confronted with a camper van abandoned in the middle of the road with its occupants snapping happily away, so I would urge caution.

There is also a nasty little habit the locals have implemented where anyone who observes 'anti-social' driving can call a number (555 IIRC - maybe wrong) and the police will hunt down the perps, so be careful...

You might want to consider doing a Targa NZ tour later in the year - great fun.  IIRC this year they're running all the way down to Wellington.  The tour now has two classes - one where helmets are required (but no cage) with a 160km/hr limit.  Faster and more flowing than Targa Tas - Great fun!

I have my 944 Turbo holed up in Christchurch to do precisely what you're doing. 

Looks like you guys are having a fantastic time - thanks for the great commentary and photos!

Great to hear from you. It's interesting that most folks we talk to say the same about Taranaki. Seems we were very fortunate indeed.

Re driving shenanigans, as always it's about managing risk. You drive like a fool and you'll get burnt. Drive appropriately fast and you're mostly OK. So far so good.

Targa NZ is an awesome idea and I rang them after seeing your post and indeed it's Hampton Downs to Wellington and 160 limit in the tour if you're helmeted. I've got an info pack to read through but at first glance it looks cheaper faster better than Tassie. Just got to get the dates lined up.

When will you get the 944T out for a run?

Cheers.