Stripped sump plug hole

AC78

Team

So this problem isn't with my Porsche, it's with my daily shopping trolley, but it's a common car problem so is relevant to this group.
Anyhoo, at some point in its servicing history a lazy 'mechanic' has done up the sump plug with a rattle gun rounding off the plug and stripping the sump hole threads in the process.
I managed to install a new plug but I can't do it up very tight and it leaks as a result.  

Question - can I simply tap the existing hole and use a larger, cut down bolt as a plug?  
Or is anybody aware of a self-tapping sump plug? (you can buy these in USA but I can't find them locally).
The internet is telling me to use a time cert, but the kits are approx $250!!

Any suggestions for a cheap DIY fix would be appreciated, cheers

Alex

Safest bet is to remove the sump and take to your local machine shop, get them to tap out to next size and manufacture (or buy) oversize plug. If you try and tap it on the car, you have a good chance of not getting the thread square to the face where it seals. Plus you won't be able to clean all the swarf out. 

Yes, the perfect solution only if you can get the sump off without lifting or removing the engine.  It's pretty rare that there isn't a chassis cross member involved and the oil pump pick up stops you just sliding it length ways out after the bolts are removed. But you never know, I hear Alex is a lucky fella!

Suspect Alex has to drive it to work on Tuesday morning and is after a quick workable solution.

Helicoil kit for about 50 bucks on eBay, grease the tap to trap the swarf.piece of piss.

Thanks Steve, but why bother with a helicoil?  If I have to tap the sump anyway, why not just plug it with a slightly larger bolt, of which I have many?  

Cheers

Thanks Steve, but why bother with a helicoil?  If I have to tap the sump anyway, why not just plug it with a slightly larger bolt, of which I have many?  

Cheers

just to retain the original size plug and washer mating surface,and you get a nice new stainless, last a lifetime thread to screw into.

Archived