Newcastle-Mudgee-Katoomba-Wisemans Ferry

TINGY

My wife had a couple of days off work so we decided we would have a couple of days away.

One condition was i would pick the roads. Day 1. Home, Sandy Hollow, Bylong, Mudgee

The first road i wanted to do again was Bylong Valley Way, anyone who hasn't needs to. Overall the road is in very good condition and mostly 100km apart from the couple of range passes with some nice twisties to keep it interesting. First stop Bylong, it's a blink and you will be through it sort of place, we were ready for a coffee by now and there is about 18 bikes parked up when we arrive at 10.20am with 220km done. This has one general store that sells fuel as well.

From Bylong we head towards Rylstone but turn off before this at Lue Rd and head towards Mudgee, this is a great road as well and lots of work has been done to improve it.

This way to Mudgee from Newcastle is at least 40kms shorter than any other way.

Lunch at the Mudgee Brewery is a great feed with one of their beers to wash it all down.

Day 2. Mudgee, Hill End, Sofala, Kelso, Tarana, South Bowenfels, Katoomba

I am pleasantly surprised when i hit Hill End road a couple of kms out of town, it's foggy and with that i thought there may have been a few furry critters still about so it's steady as she goes. I come across some roadworks but thankfully it's the verge getting some work. The fog has now cleared and it's full speed ahead, what a great road, some blind corners and crests and the vegetation and rocks form the verge, it's fast and flowing and i found it perfect and the turbo loved the cool crisp morning air, i could hear the waste gate opening echoing of the rocks. 

A pass over the hills keeps it more interesting and as i am explaining to the handbrake in the passenger seat how the turbo works and, "makes the car speed up so much", two grey Kangaroos casually cross the road in front of me and it's a good reminder that i keep on my toes.  

The road unfortunately turns to shit for a good kilometer and i don't know where to point the car, the only bad spot in the road, just out of Hargraves i think it was.

From here into Hill End it's the same up and down and fast flowing roads, this was probably the highlight for me driving this road. 

Hill End is an interesting place and would have been a sprawling town back in the gold rush, well worth the drive.

The view coming into Hill End.

20170501_091336.jpg

20170501_084454.jpg

From here it's on to Sofala and the road is still very good and doesn't disappoint with more of the same on what looks to be a recently re-surfaced road, once again 100kmh and this time more open roads seeing further ahead. Great road, Hill End to Sofala.

Sofala looks to be full of history as well but we don't stop and drive on the Sofala Rd and head to Kelso just out of Bathurst. I look across and in the distance there is the familiar letters of Mount Panorama plastered on the side of the mountain, sadly not this trip. I turn left and head along the highway and onto O'Connell Rd then left onto Tarana Rd, this was my first mistake.

If you come out this way DO NOT take Tarana Rd to Tarana, take Mutton Falls Rd like i should have. The road narrows severely and there is no shoulder to let the people past that are laughing at me in their 4WD's, very picturesque though.

I'm just glad the school bus wasn't on the way home, i could not wait to get off this road and glad i made it unscathed.

From here it's Sodwalls Rd, and this is familiar to me, past the dam and on to the Hwy then Katoomba where we spend the arvo walking some tracks around the 3 sisters.

The road works out of Lithgow are horrendous with 40 and 60 km zones.

Day 3. Katoomba, Penrith, Windsor, Wisemans Ferry, home

Breakfast in Leura just down the road from Katoomba then down the Great Western Hwy because we needed to be home by mid afternoon. When we got to Windsor via the Northern Rd the Putty was calling but i decided to head to Wisemans Ferry instead as i will be doing the Putty in a couple of weeks. (don't want to over do it)

I found the road to Wisemans Ferry from the Somersby end is getting really rough.

A stop off at the Stone House Cafe for some pale ale on the way into the Ferry, an uneventful trip back into Somersby then onto the freeway and home.

A bit of a boring day in the car really, I think i got spoiled by the lack of traffic on the back roads.

A fantastic couple of days driving with 955kms racked up on the car and loved every minute, averaged 10ltrs per 100 for the trip as well.

As someone else said, get out and drive.

That sounds like a great trip away, and the perfect use of your car!

You would have driven within 200m of my house when you drove along WF rd towards the Stone House cafe.  They do a great pizza at the place, and it's our 'local' pizza joint.

The WF rd from WF to Somersby is slowly degrading due to the relatively low use by the public.  And it gets worse this time of year as the shadows are just about all day with the low sitting sun...and it'll eventually get mossy during winter as the edges don't dry out.

That sounds like a great trip away, and the perfect use of your car!

You would have driven within 200m of my house when you drove along WF rd towards the Stone House cafe.  They do a great pizza at the place, and it's our 'local' pizza joint.

The WF rd from WF to Somersby is slowly degrading due to the relatively low use by the public.  And it gets worse this time of year as the shadows are just about all day with the low sitting sun...and it'll eventually get mossy during winter as the edges don't dry out.

Awe cool, I'll remember that next time I'm in your neighborhood, I've been to the Stonehouse a few times now.

Yep you're right, parts of the road were damp today.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived