Cayenne Roadtrip

oldracer

Bit of background, new Cayenne Diesel with turbo wheels and a few other add ons, we bought our My16 just on 12 months ago and we have only done 9000km in that time so not anything of any distance or time to get to know the vehicle properly other than we have a Porsche and feel good driving it....isn't that the feeling we should have, works for me. Anyway time came to do a quick Sydney and return back to Nagambie...1600km or so in a bit over 24 hours one up, mmmm. First impressions of the standard seats were that they weren't that comfortable doing 1-2 hour drives, far better than the sports seats but not that, you know, comfy. Anyway after getting my bum in the seat for a bit over 3 hours it became bearable and after 5 hours it was...comfy, just had to settle into the contour and far different from our 300C.

Leaving at 5am and going cross country initially I had the opportunity to let it off the leash with high beam on, wow, the lights are absolutely frikkin awesome...plenty of roos up our way but the lights allowed me to look far right and left of centre, great when you're doing  buck 30/40 into the dark. This thing handles really really well, I know it's not a traditional Porsche but whatever the factory has done to these jiggas, it works and well. No hesitation in throwing it into country road corners, hangs on, very direct and promotes great confidence. As stated above, we optioned the turbo 21" wheels which came with Yoki Advan rubber which so far has been superb. Bit noisy but that's to be expected with the low profile it runs.

The aircon I find to be very good, instant warm, great with fogged windscreen and the aircon controls are very easy to use. Speaking of the controls, I found my way around the cluster eventually but it's not the easiest to get use to, guess that comes down to the miriad of functionality.

I find the perfomance of the diesel engine exceptional, I have had many high powered cars and the Cayenne is up there with the majority with the bonus of 7.6l/100km economy. One area that needs addressing is the occasional turbo lag....takes a bit to get on the herbs every now and again, can be disconcerting when traffic is coming your way.

Not sure why these Sydneyites rag Melbourneites about their weather, as usual pissing down in Sydney, the wipers are fabulous, the intermittent timing is spot on, no matter downpour or drizzle.

Sat Nav is very good, helps if I listen!!!!!!!!! but love the graduated line to point of turn and is very accurate.

We have towed a 25' jayco van with ours and it does it standing on it's ear, plenty plenty of power and the suspension, non PASM, is really good.

The last 400 odd km of the trip was in tandem with a Macan GTS, very very nice toy. One thing that I noticed is the lights on low beam...I assume, from the Macan behind are very very bright as the car rides the bumps in the road.

In summary, I love my Cayenne more today than I did 3 days ago, it is the consumate tourer, makes me feel good when I drive it, I get asked or complimented on my car frequently which again is why we bought a Porsche and not any other SUV that could tow 3500kg.

Our sale experience ended up exceptional, ended up!!! as our first Porsche dealer experience left a huge amount to be desired but we then went to Porsche Brighton and they were and have been fabulous.

Our Cayenne is now the tow vehicle to our motorsport toy, a VY Clubby which we hope to meet other PFA members at a drive/track day in the future.

So glad we bought our Cayenne, cheers Racer

Archived