Adelaide - 986 Boxster Exhaust

Mttel

Hi,

looking for some help from Adelaide members (@LeeM, @StewF come to mind).  

I have a 2004 2.7 manual Boxster. I was after getting a bit more burble/nice note at higher RPM's and after couple phone calls ended up at Exhuast Plus (they indicated that they has worked on Porsches and Ferraris previously). Long story short, after 3 days and 3 different muffler boxes (initially straight throughs that made your teeth rattle and ears bleed between 2000 and 3000 RPM, sounded fantastic above 3000) have ended up with something that is a mild improvement. I think that there is something a bit better but not confident to take it back to the same shop.

Is there any businesses that members would recommend that know what they are doing with Porsche flat 6's, in particular not getting resonance/drone around the 2500 RPM mark. 

I asked at Buik when I got the car services but they haven't come back with a recommendation.

Thanks in advance

Michael

I'd get back onto Craig or Mark at Buiks mate. Failing that, maybe Mark at Exhaust Technology on Goodwood road, Goodwood might be worth a shot, as they're well known for custom exhausts. Be prepared though, as I'm told he can charge the dreaded P Tax (Porsche added tax)

Just get this from Carnewal.

http://www.carnewal.com/products/P86/p86037/P86-Carnewal-GT-Exhaust

You can request to purchase one from them instead of sending them yours to modify. Cost will be higher as they will have to source a stock 986 exhaust to modify for you.

I have one of their modified stock exhausts on my 987 Boxster Spyder and it doesn't drone. It also doesn't rob the engine of low end torque either as aftermarket exhausts that have larger diameter tubing will do. 

Just get this from Carnewal.

http://www.carnewal.com/products/P86/p86037/P86-Carnewal-GT-Exhaust

You can request to purchase one from them instead of sending them yours to modify. Cost will be higher as they will have to source a stock 986 exhaust to modify for you.

I have one of their modified stock exhausts on my 987 Boxster Spyder and it doesn't drone. It also doesn't rob the engine of low end torque either as aftermarket exhausts that have larger diameter tubing will do. 

I second this.

I had one on my old 986 Boxster S and it was sensational...I think it was the first Boxster one that Darin had made.

Price for the modified muffler, plus the deposit on the old core (which is to expensive to return) and freight if you choose the the slow boat from China, was only about $1100.00 from memory.

Doesn't make much if any difference to performance, but the sound is great.   Gives the Box a Bite.

FD MOTORSPORTS

Darin Fister

fdmotorsports@comcast.net.

Darin is a gentleman to deal with and his products are exceptional.

@Mttel , @AndrewW might be able to provide details about his Cayman muffler.  It sounds bloody awesome. He's also had some work done on the outlets by Redline Exhausts.  

And if you're not doing anything on sunday morning, come along to Cars & Coffee at Unley shopping centre.  8 AM.

Be prepared though, as I'm told he can charge the dreaded P Tax (Porsche added tax)

He also charges HAT - Holden Added Tax, but you get a top quality job. Back on the 00's, I had a system done there on my 5.7L Adventra.  Along with an induction kit & a remap, it added a little something to the car's performance, and it sounded the shiz...

Hi Michael,

FYI Ihave a Borla on my 986S, sounds great, crackles & pops etc on down changes. Does drone a little @ 100/110 in 6th. Bearable and fine around town etc I either turn up the Bose or change down to 5th if gets too tiresome on long runs. Given is not a daily driver and has its share of track work Im looking at cat bypass, in too minds as it will scream but scream well!!!

Cheers

Anthony

Anthony I had the borla on my 986s along with cat bypass pipes with 100 cell cats cut into them. It made a sickening drone no one could live with. I imagine cat less would be worse.

Thanks Firestone, I'll leave the 100 cells or cat less alone. 

Is anyone aware of a Boxster in Aus with a low pressure turbo? TPC racing kit looks nice with ~90 rwhp should be fun?

Just get the Carnewal and don't mess around with the rest. I got mine a couple of months ago, he will do one without a replacement return, heres an email from Gert to me with the pricing

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the interest in the Carnewal GT exhaust.

The GT exhaust is normally sold as exchange system where you have to return the original exhaust but given the high shipping costs to return your exhaust to Belgium, I can also sell you an exhaust without exchange.

The GT exhaust for your Cayman sold without exchange is 895 euro shipping to Australia included.  In this case, the GT exhaust is made from a set with less than 50k km .

Delivery was about 4 days

When choosing for the exchange system, it is the intention that you will return your original exhaust.

In exchange , the price for the GT exhaust is 540 euro shipping to Australia included.

The core charge is 500 Euro. 

Total : 1040 Euro 

If you send back your original exhaust, the 500 Euro core charge is refunded and 540 euro becomes the end total.

This is the procedure for the exchange : 

We first send you a GT exhaust and you have up to 3 weeks to install the GT exhaust and return your original exhaust. 

If you like to order , then I need to know the mileage of the car. That way we can send a matching exhaust with similar km/miles is that we know beforehand what we will get back. That way we avoid that we send a nearly new one and get one back with 200K mls or vice versa .

Since your original muffler is needed to make the GT exhaust for other customers, we can only accept a mufflers that are not dented, cracked, re-welded or modified and matches the mileage.

In case the original exhaust can’t be used then we don’t, or partially refund the core charge.  

To calculate the return shipping cost, the box is 85x65x28 cm and weighs 22 KG

Note that you need to choose beforehand between a straight purchase or the exchange system.

Shipping is with Fedex and usually takes 3-4 days.

We have these in stock.

If you like to order, please use our secure site.

https://secure.carnewal.com/cpx_secorder.aspx

You can copy/paste my quote in the order field.

Once I see your order , I will send you an email back with the confirmation.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
               Gert.

Delivery did take 3 days, i picked it up from Fedex as I never know when ill be home.

I did the exchange system which including the return delivery charge saved about $250.00 (what are you going to do with a s/h stock exhaust ?) You can re-use the packaging which is purpose built for the system. I used Pack'n'send online booking then delivered it to the local store (note, do not seal the carton as they have to check whats inside "checking for nasties")

If you need more convincing I could possible drop by or screeeeaaaam by which ever is more suitable or come to Coffee n cars at unley on Sunday and you can check it out there.

No system comes close for sound/value/nil drone.

As StewF about the sound, remind him of 'The Great Ocean Road' when i went passed him.

Thanks to everyone for the comments and feedback.

@AndrewW and others, I'm planning to come to Unley on Sunday so will seek you out to talk some more.

Michael

• 4 months later...

Ok bit of an update.

Had a custom muffler fabricated. Started of with some straight through (no baffles) which were heaven above 3000 but your teeth fell out between 2000 and 3000, couple of iterations later ended up with something similar in look to the Fabspeed - maxspeed. Have been using this successfully as a daily driver for about 6 months. Interestly the sound changes noticeably from cold start to when warned up, sings a bit more once warm.

Any browsing ebay couple of nights ago and have picked up new, been in storage for years, Gemballa headers and muffler box for less that a grand. From research online appears they may have been manufactured by M&M in Germany 

So looking for recommendations for a suitable replacement catalytic converter for the stock units. Thinking 200 cell. Easiest would be to buy complete units and just swap but pricing from name brands seems $1500+. Any recommendation of more affordable options? Alternatively has any one taken the stock units and just had the stock cats cut out and replaced with new units?

I bought 100 cell cats from a local exhaust shop for 100 bucks each. Cannot recall the brand. Australian made I think.

I used fabspeed cat delete pipes and had them cut to fit the cats. Local guys didn't want to try making them from scratch. 

The headers and mufflers have arrived over the last couple of days, all lovely and shiny new stainless. Small challenge, stock pipes are I think 42 mm dis, headers and C pipes to the muffler on the new kit is 55mm.

So looks like I'll be contacting M&M after all see if they still make a 55mm cat or careless pipe.

• 3 months later...
On 29/09/2017 at 11:47 PM, Mttel said:

The headers and mufflers have arrived over the last couple of days, all lovely and shiny new stainless. Small challenge, stock pipes are I think 42 mm dis, headers and C pipes to the muffler on the new kit is 55mm.

So looks like I'll be contacting M&M after all see if they still make a 55mm cat or careless pipe.

All complete, combination of Gembella and M&M Power. Nice and shiny. Pity it sits where you can’t see it. Now just have to organise Buik to install.

48DE4724-1837-49A8-8B27-35032272BFFA.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Mttel

i have been following ur thread. I have the FVD muffler, 100 cell cats and stock headers on 01 986S. It sounds great at high revs and idle. There is some resonance in the 2000-3000 range mainly when engine is cold. Otherwise pretty good. I’m not sure that u can have performance and a tolerable sports exhaust under all conditions but always interested in knowing what people try. I did find this on the web though http://rtr-pca.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=3513

Archived