Autonomous EVs

DJM

13 minutes ago, Raven said:

This is the problem with all this high tech electronics that is supposed to make life easy :Chuckle2:

How hard is it to put a key in an ignition and turn it ...

The more high tech things get the easier it seems for the crimes to take advantage off ..

My friend on Rennlist dosnt expect the car to be recovered sadly 

Yes that is pretty much what happened only the Fob was on his bed side table ,they got into the garage ,,,started the car and gone ...

The owner of car said it was like military precision ,the car was gone before he even got out of bed ,,they were well organized and had planned the theft well ....

Yep anybody with keyless entry and start is a sitting duck. The electronics required is so simple it could be done by a hobbyist.

Best to stick to the old fashion remote door opening “transponder key” that has to be put into the key holder/ignition. 

The “man” Faraday pouch could be a new fad and a Faraday safe in the house with a time lock plus dye bomb the latest functional decoration. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The trouble with Faraday pouch is you can not keep it in that 24 / 7 ,,would be a good idea in the house for security if you remember to use it every day,,,but like you said before if you stop for say fuel and they are following you ...your car is gone ...

This keyfob security issue is another slant to "range anxiety".
Everyone's so bloody anxious these days. I blame tech (with good reason)

Meanwhile I just racked a couple of dozen wine bottles. On their side , even though they have quick release screw caps.
Old habits don't have to die.

The new i-phone , news which has me as excited as anything I've read or heard about in decades.

"“We even tested it in beer,” Mr Schiller said."

Great news! You buy me a pint , I'll drop your new phone in and I'll buy everyone another round whilst waiting for the artisanal fluids to seep into the ... Faraday pouch.

How on earth did we entertain ourselves back in the live band days?

38 minutes ago, ANF said:

This whole thread has lost me :lol:

It's about the seemingly inevitable advance of tech, that seems to create more problems than it promises to fix.
Like bitcoin mining using more energy than the whole of Ireland does.
We do not have enough planet for all this "stuff".

They took 9 months... in a lab, with a team, with the specific intention. Im sorry but thats not impressive. 

That technology is 9 months old at that stage and Tesla has already continued to improve its communication protocol. 

Anything that is deemed "secure", falls short, the moment it is no longer maintained to current processor performance and complexity. 

What I find most interesting, is that so many people are just allowing systems to be taken out of their hands, automated and blindly follow someones good will, that they have your best intentions at heart.
When these cars get hacked, or our personal information is extracted from an old server, we really have no one else to blame but ourselves, we gave up the free will at that point... 

*Cough* Yeah... I wont let a machine change a gear for me...

• 1 month later...

A few sane voices still exist amongst the dope smoking "visionaries"

Load the page and right click save as html to read
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/27/technology/driverless-cars-congestion.html?action=click&module=Discovery&pgtype=Homepage

Basically:
"Peter Calthorpe thinks Silicon Valley has it all wrong. He rejects the ideas of tech industry visionaries who say personal autonomous vehicles will soon be the solution to urban problems like traffic congestion.Mr. Calthorpe is a Berkeley-based urban planner who is one of the creators of New Urbanism, which promotes mixed-use, walkable neighborhoods.

His designs emphasize the proximity of housing, shopping and public space.He is not opposed to autonomous vehicles. Mr. Calthorpe’s quarrel is with the idea that the widespread adoption of personally owned self-driving cars will solve transportation problems. In fact, he worries it will lead to more urban congestion and suburban sprawl.“One thing is certain: Zero- or single-occupant vehicles,” even ones that can drive themselves, “are a bad thing,” he and the transportation planner Jerry Walters wrote in an article last year in Urban Land, an urban planning journal. “They cause congestion, eat up energy, exacerbate sprawl and emit more carbon per passenger-mile.”

Mr. Calthorpe believes that in trying to solve a very hard technical problem, Silicon Valley is ignoring an easier application for autonomous technology that has the potential to quickly change mass transit and help solve the Valley’s housing crisis. It starts with backing away from solo car trips.A popular claim by the advocates of self-driving cars is that not only will they be safer than human-driven cars, but they will lead to fewer cars, faster commutes and a radical rethinking of cities where finding a place to park is no longer a priority.

But Mr. Calthorpe, citing a range of transportation studies, has simulated through computer models the impact of self-driving vehicles in urban settings. He argues that if they are used the way today’s vehicles are — carrying a single individual in most cases — they will lead to more congestion."

I can see thousands upon thousands of AV with no passengers trolling for a parking spot or perhaps they will just give up when the battery goes flat and turn all the roads into a super traffic jam that will require every car to be towed or a lot of very long extension cords. 

They had an autonomous bus thing on trial here recently that will be full time soon. Funny, as the news footage had it holding up traffic at a whopping 15km/h. That'll go down well with commuters ?

Archived