The Stereo thread - 987.1 Amp repair, Headunit swap etc

Bibbs

The cheapest way into audio if you don't have an external input is an FM modulator.  Note I said cheapest not best.  Range from cigarette lighter plugins to specific boxes you insert between the antenna and head unit - the more expensive ones have bluetooth etc.  But I would have thought a 987 has bluetooth?

If I can figure out, which wire going into the back of the headunit, is from the CD changer, then I should be able to 'splice' in a 3.5mm audio lead.. so when CD is selected, it will play my plugged in phone. That will be the next project (among many others).

I doubt that will work- communication between CD changer and head unit is likely to be canbus.

Best way forward is to see if there is a unit which will plug into the harness and replace the changer with Bluetooth input.  I had one in my Bmw which allowed use of steering wheel Audio controls to use iPhone.  Rendered the CD changer in op but never used it anyway.

Here I think this is the one for your car https://www.dension.com/automotive/compatible-products/GW51MO2,GWL1MO1?startlng=&make=Porsche&type=Boxster%2FCayman&year=2003-2010&hu=CDR-24&img=porsche_cdr-24.png

• 3 months later...
On 23/04/2019 at 13:22, Coastr said:

The cheapest way into audio if you don't have an external input is an FM modulator.  Note I said cheapest not best.  Range from cigarette lighter plugins to specific boxes you insert between the antenna and head unit - the more expensive ones have bluetooth etc.  But I would have thought a 987 has bluetooth?

As an experiment I bought an el cheapo one of these on eBay last week to see exactly how bad they are before taking more drastic action such as replacing the head unit. 

I’m actually stunned that the FM transmitter/Bluetooth device I bought for $20 including postage doesn’t sound horrible. In fact it actually sounds good! The audio quality from my iPhone through this into the stock radio sounds much better than actual radio stations and I’m thinking that I’m not going to touch a thing. Very pleased. 

The device I bought is a tiny little thing that fits inside the centre console cubby where the 12v socket is. A lot of them are too big to fit in there so I picked one that is just a small cylindrical design. 

• 1 year later...

42 South did the Audison AP8's fit straight into the existing housing or did you need adapters. If so where did you get the from please?

Did you need to modify the wiring or buy an adapter lead and, if you did, where di you find that? 

I'm in UK and having trouble finding a replacement for my blown 8" woofers in my Cayman S Sport that doesn't involve major upgrade.

5 hours ago, Paulw said:

42 South did the Audison AP8's fit straight into the existing housing or did you need adapters. If so where did you get the from please?

Did you need to modify the wiring or buy an adapter lead and, if you did, where di you find that? 

I'm in UK and having trouble finding a replacement for my blown 8" woofers in my Cayman S Sport that doesn't involve major upgrade.

The AP8's fit in the cutout without the plastic mount of the existing speakers. I used the existing mounting holes which neatly fitted the outside dimension of the AP8's so no holes were required. I used some large plastic washers/spacers to then hold the speakers in place. The AP8's are very flat so they don't impact the internal workings of the door.

IMG_1266.JPG.d9ccca164185a7b36791c7728c650f5e.JPG

5 hours ago, Paulw said:

For the mid's I used Rockford Fosgate which fitted perfectly - they have four mounting tabs but I removed two of them on each side.

IMG_1262.JPG.a852aec6cee60afd4ca90c18f41ec67b.JPG

• 7 months later...