955 Cayenne Engine Vibration

Russ

I've had an engine vibration at 50km/h since I bought the car. When I first got it I got a wheel balance and allignment, Checked out the engine mounts and they all seemed fine, had a flexible joint added into the exhaust and the vibration was still there. The driveshaft 'upgrade' had been done with the bigger rubber mount (which I was told never fails) but last visit to the mechanic they suspected it was at fault :/ I had a pretty quiet Friday evening planned so what better time to get into the garage

After a bit of internet browsing, I decided to spend a little money and replace the top engine torque mount. You'll need 2x 16mm sockets, and a 12mm hex or square drive (Trade Tools had them on the shelf, and even ask "Did the Porsche centre send you here" before I even mentioned what it was for - they mustn't sell many):

1. Attach Cayenne to battery charger - within about 40 minutes they can flatten the battery with the interior lights etc - it's even written in the first few pages of the manual. Seems annoying with the battery under the passenger seat - fortunately there is a charging point under the bonnet. The negative terminal is closest to the front of the car.

1a. Remove the plastic trim (and manage to lose one of the plastic trim screws I replaced when I got the car - fortunately they're only $3 or so at Porsche and i've still got a stash of the male and female ones) and don't forget the T20 torx screw that holds the washer bottle to the surround trimIMG_20170616_192230_800x600.jpg

2. With the trim off it looks like this, Still can't tell there is a problem but I went through and replaced it anyway
IMG_20170616_192532_450x600.jpg\

3. This can't be good - I think I've found the reason for the vibration (that separated bit is meant to be mounted with rubber in the middle) it also managed to fall down beside the exhaust and make it difficult to get out - didn't find the plastic screw while i was down there though :()
IMG_20170616_193149_800x600.jpg                         

4. Assembly is the reverse of disassembly, I made sure to lightly tighten the bolts until the mount was roughly level then tightened to 40nm.
IMG_20170616_194230_450x600.jpg

All back together and ready for the drive tomorrow I changed the Washer bottle lid while i was there too, something like $8 from FCP Euro (the torque mount was $50 or so at the same time) 

Time for the all important test drive and it's finally fixed! So if you have a vibration in your 955 Cayenne before you resort to driveshaft, try the above (good troubleshooting is to kick the car into neutral while coasting, and see if the vibration is still there - if it's not there whilst in neutral it might be bad news, if it is still there give the top engine torque mount a try)

Archived