Steering pump noise

Rob H

My 2004 Cayenne S has started making noises like a goat bleating when I turn the steering wheel, even just a millimetre.

I have checked under the hood and no animals in sight.

It sounds funny now, but I am worried it may start sounding like a cash register.

Anybody have any ideas before I start emptying my wallet?

Not a Cayenne here but I just had noisy power steering on my sons car. Googled and recommendations were change the fluid. It quieted the noise a bit so I did it again as you can't remove it all. Better again. The belt looked fine but I put dry soap on the running surface and noise gone. Obviously it will come back so a new belt was the ticket for us.

Just saying it may not be the pump.

Low oil can cause a real racket when turning probably due to aeration of the oil. Had it happen once and sounded like the pump was imploding. Level is easy to check but if low the question is why? Belt is another option but noise is often in proportion to how loaded up the PS is and easy to check as firestone did. 

Thanks guys.

After posting, the next morning I had a brainwave and did something I dont do very often with the Cayenne and lifted the bonnet.

Poured some fluid into the reservoir and closed bonnet.

Presto, the pleasant sound of a Porsche V8 and no goats. F...ing genius!!

Next I might have to crawl under the car, remove the tray and identify the leak.

I rarely drive our Territory, yet heard some noises coming from under the hood. I ask the missus 'Whats that, and how long has that noise been there?' 

'Errr, coupla weeks maybe?' 

'You do realise that's a lack of oil in the engine and power steering don't you?' 

'I dunno, maybe?' 

'You weren't a very good 3rd year apprentice mechanic were you?' 

'Shut ya gob and put some oil in it then!' 

'Got any oil darling?' 

'Jeeez, do I have to do everything? 

'It's your car ya clown!' 

:) 

( I then checked the fluids in my van. Errr, better go and get some engine oil and power steering fluid I s'pose!)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad I'm not the only slacker, when it comes to maintaining our utilty vehicles.

I think the older cars encouarage you to check things more frequently, as when you open the lid there is lots of "stuff" to tinker with and check.

The Cayenne like so many new cars is not so inviting, lots of plastic covers blocking out the view to important things.

Anyway, one S/H steering pump and $$$ later, all is fine with the tall fat car again.

All the workshop said was that it was leaking and difficult to fix, easier, quicker to swap it out.

Maatsuyker Island, bloody hell, we broke our forestay near there in a Melbourne Hobart 30 years ago.

Lucky, we were just about to turn the corner, so we could slide into Hobart under spinnaker and didnt need a forestay.

What do you do there?

• 2 weeks later...

Tazzieman, what a spectacular seascape. Rugged beauty!

Having done quite a bit of sailing pre GPS, there is nothing more reassuring on a stormy night, when approaching and roanding dangers like yours, than the flashing charactaristic of a lighthouse.

Thank you sir!

Archived