All those engines have a factory 10 year or 120,000 mile engine warranty on them Porsche did this around 12 months ago its world wide on all 3.8 991.1 GT3 engines ....The 4.0 in the RS had the valve train upgrade and is less prone to the issue ...The current 991.2 power plant had a complete revise of the valve train is for the moment not having any issues ...

link ...........The action group that made this happen ..

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-and-911r/1005204-991-1-gt3-cog-our-meeting-with-pcna-pag-plus-porsche-s-official-announcement.html

- Engine warranty extended to 10 years/120,000 miles with respect to failures related to this specific issue (from in-service date)
- Warranty extension is fully transferrable – Covers all current and future 991.1 GT3 owners with no action required by the owner
- If an engine fails as a result of this issue the defective engine will be replaced with a new engine that has the revised parts (no more top end rebuilds)
- Includes all markets (this is global, not just for US owners)

Update (12/06/2017): Porsche has decided to cover the entire 991.1 GT3 engine, even if the cause is not attributed to finger follower wear. From Porsche:

Effective at once, the limited warranty on all your vehicle's internal engine components continues for ten years from your vehicle's original in-service date, up to 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first. 

3 hours ago, Raven said:

All those engines have a factory 10 year or 120,000 mile engine warranty on them Porsche did this around 12 months ago its world wide on all 3.8 991.1 GT3 engines ....The 4.0 in the RS had the valve train upgrade and is less prone to the issue ...The current 991.2 power plant had a complete revise of the valve train is for the moment not having any issues ...

link ...........The action group that made this happen ..

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-and-911r/1005204-991-1-gt3-cog-our-meeting-with-pcna-pag-plus-porsche-s-official-announcement.html

- Engine warranty extended to 10 years/120,000 miles with respect to failures related to this specific issue (from in-service date)
- Warranty extension is fully transferrable – Covers all current and future 991.1 GT3 owners with no action required by the owner
- If an engine fails as a result of this issue the defective engine will be replaced with a new engine that has the revised parts (no more top end rebuilds)
- Includes all markets (this is global, not just for US owners)

Update (12/06/2017): Porsche has decided to cover the entire 991.1 GT3 engine, even if the cause is not attributed to finger follower wear. From Porsche:

Effective at once, the limited warranty on all your vehicle's internal engine components continues for ten years from your vehicle's original in-service date, up to 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first. 

Sweet, I thought I'd seen it on RL... good resource for GT cars it is! 

4 minutes ago, spiller said:

^^^ that is great. So, buy now and thrash away. Hopefully you'll have a failure in the warranty period and porsche comes to the party. Wouldn't want to be owning a low km babied 991.1 in 2024...

Makes perfect sense, to do this! 

Get shopping for that 991.1 Clubsport Doug!! ? 

6 hours ago, Raven said:

If you are buying to drive for a couple of years makes perfect sense ..

That would be good going with my recent car history ?

I do like the concept flogging one on track for a few years knowing the engine remains under warranty........but it would be prudent to read the fine print first.

7 hours ago, edgy said:

Get shopping for that 991.1 Clubsport Doug!! ? 

As per my post in intro thread, GT4s have dropped 10-12% in the last 12 months so you'd imagine 991.1 have got further to fall, dodgy engine and all.  I reckon I'll watch and wait a bit longer.  I'll get some high temp fluid and pads and punt the M3 around in the meantime.

i had my eye on an exige V6 track/Tarmac car until I drove it last week and realised a) I don't fit wth a helmet on (you need to be Denyer-esque) and b) i don't like lotus build quality and driving position.  

I would say you can contact your local dealer and get a copy of the full details relating to any conditions ,,,from my understanding owners received a letter relating to this and I have seen copies posted on Rennlist..

Car is covered for all track use and many in North America are taking full advantage of the Warranty ...

In the event of an engine failure you receive a new engine with the revised cam follows these engines are marked as G series on engine numbers ...

14 hours ago, DJM said:

That would be good going with my recent car history ?

I do like the concept flogging one on track for a few years knowing the engine remains under warranty........but it would be prudent to read the fine print first.

As per my post in intro thread, GT4s have dropped 10-12% in the last 12 months so you'd imagine 991.1 have got further to fall, dodgy engine and all.  I reckon I'll watch and wait a bit longer.  I'll get some high temp fluid and pads and punt the M3 around in the meantime.

i had my eye on an exige V6 track/Tarmac car until I drove it last week and realised a) I don't fit wth a helmet on (you need to be Denyer-esque) and b) i don't like lotus build quality and driving position.  

Oh so you drove the Exige! Yeah the build quality is lacking, stuff like the sound the door makes when it closes, feel of the plastics etc etc. What M3 have you got? F80 or E92? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2018 at 12:45 PM, spiller said:

Oh so you drove the Exige! Yeah the build quality is lacking, stuff like the sound the door makes when it closes, feel of the plastics etc etc. What M3 have you got? F80 or E92? 

With helmet on my head was wedged up between cage diagonals in the Exige. Very uncomfortable for me.   Seat was tight, steering wheel in my lap.  And it was pretty squeaky & creaky, 45,000 mostly Motorsport kms had taken their toll.  Loose glue and rivets? ?

i have an F80 M3 Comp - it’s going in tomorrow for extinguisher, pads, fluid, stage 1 ECU tune and air filter = +50hp, +100Nm.  I like it more than I expected, it’s already as fast as the GT4 on road but it’s pretty heavy so I don’t expect it will be great on track.  But I’ll have some fun anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, edgy said:

Dutton have listed this MY15 991, looks nice and price seems reasonable for them, suggests maybe you can do business quite a bit lower on other examples

https://duttongarage.com/car/2015-porsche-911-991-gt3/ 

What ??? AU$ 249,990.00 that has to be a typo !!!

Edit; I haven't been following the the market, seems at the low end of normal pricing I guess. Yes seems like a very good option

6 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

What ??? AU$ 249,990.00 that has to be a typo !!!

Edit; I haven't been following the the mark, seems at the low end of normal pricing I guess. Yes seems like a very good option.

I am resisting the urge to get a trade in offer.... 

The market really is sliding on these which is good for me.  I am right in the hunt now actively looking. 

I would have contacted the owner of the Sapphire blue car in Queensland as it is probably the best spec, but I just can't bring myself to the colour, especially with red stitching inside.

The black Doncaster car has some interest for me, but it is way too dear given the low rent spec and kms.

So I am just sitting waiting for a good spec car to come up or for a cracking deal on something else which will let me overlook the things I don't like.

1 minute ago, Jimmy said:

Dont you have a 997.2 GT3 ? I think I'd much rather have your car than this.

Even better, a 7.1 ? 

I think I'd regret it, but I like the practicality of the 991, I think my mrs would want to drive it and its faster out of the box... I've driven the 991 on a track, they are incredible when the engine isn't on fire. 

2 minutes ago, NBTBRV8 said:

The market really is sliding on these which is good for me.  I am right in the hunt now actively looking. 

I would have contacted the owner of the Sapphire blue car in Queensland as it is probably the best spec, but I just can't bring myself to the colour, especially with reference stitching inside.

The black Doncaster car has some interest for me, but it is way too dear given the low rent spec and kms.

So I am just sitting waiting for a good spec car to come up or for a cracking deal on something else which will let me overlook the things I don't like.

I hear you, seems to only be going south, I think they will hit high 100's pretty darn soon! 

That black one looks great, but its too bloody expensive in the current climate! I do like the spec of it though, the sapphire one is good spec, maybe its those cheesy RS4.0 decals that put people off? 

Just now, edgy said:

Even better, a 7.1 ? 

I think I'd regret it, but I like the practicality of the 991, I think my mrs would want to drive it and its faster out of the box... I've driven the 991 on a track, they are incredible when the engine isn't on fire. 

Oh yes, no wheel center locks !!!

1 minute ago, Jimmy said:

Oh yes, no wheel center locks !!!

Yup!

The last of the DIY track side support model... says the guy who took up track support this year. :lol: 

1 minute ago, NBTBRV8 said:

Just more understeer and less aero.  Mk11 is a better car.

Hey thems is fightin words they is! 

There is a solution to the understeer= enter the corner faster. 

On 9/7/2018 at 2:44 PM, edgy said:

Dutton have listed this MY15 991, looks nice and price seems reasonable for them, suggests maybe you can do business quite a bit lower on other examples

NTH9252-1320x880.jpg

https://duttongarage.com/car/2015-porsche-911-991-gt3/ 

When I purchased my 996 GT3 in Jan 2015 at 85K, there was an approx 350K delta between 996 and 991. Amazing to think 42 months later that has come down to 100K. Who said Porsches hold their value. Sheesh!

3 hours ago, spiller said:

When I purchased my 996 GT3 in Jan 2015 at 85K, there was an approx 350K delta between 996 and 991. Amazing to think 42 months later that has come down to 100K. Who said Porches hold their value. Sheesh!

I shoulda given you a proper lowball when I had the chance! I feel my GT3 opportunity has passed :(

Question for everyone, given there is strong speculation that the 992 GT3 maybe going turbo how does that make you as GT3 enthusiasts feel

does it bother you?

does it make you want an N/A car if so which one?

or are you into the full on fastest latest greatest - as no doubt it will be awesome

or does it then move the 911 GT3 into another class of car that may see traditional 911 GT3 buyers look at other offerings in the market place —- if so what would you consider?

28 minutes ago, Scott SS964 said:

Question for everyone, given there is strong speculation that the 992 GT3 maybe going turbo next year how does that make you as GT3 enthusiasts feel

does it bother you?

does it make you want an N/A car if so which one?

or are you into the full on fastest latest greatest - as no doubt it will be awesome

or does it then move the 911 GT3 into another class of car that may see traditional 911 GT3 buyers look at other offerings in the market place —- if so what would you consider?

Apparently that’s not going to happen for a long time still? But let’s say it does? 

It doesn’t bother me if that’s how it goes! 

Perhaps not from the outset, but certainly now we can look back and say a large part of the 911s ethos is evolution, it adapts to the environment/climate it’s currently in, I mean look back at the impact bumper era or the introduction of water cooling for example. 

I think it’s always just going to be another chapter in the history books for Porsche, you can look back and cherry pick the time capsule that suits you the most, because that is essentially what we end up with 911 time capsules of their era. 

I do like the NA mills, it’s what makes the GT3 so unique, so it’ll definitely lose its glow somewhat should it go turbo, and I’m sure they’ll make it faster, but the captive audience will shift in that time too, maybe a hybrid GT3 is on the cards (like GT3 r hybrid/918) you know the millennial thinks a lot differently about this stuff...