5 minutes ago, DJM said:

Please explain?

Other states have a cheaper transfer rate than Victoria.

Other states haven't gone in to stage 4 lock down so whilst the economy is a concern it isn't all immediate doom and gloom like Victoria. When I was selling mine I had quite a few enquiries from outside of Victoria.

Dealers claim the GST back and pass it on the the buyer.

The Duttons car can only be used as a light reference point.   You've picked the cheapest car on the market,  it has done about three times as many kms and the colour makes it much harder to sell.  Guards red is a more appealing colour to a wider audience and it has only done 3500kms, so it will be as new.  When you have a look at what this car would be advertised for on the open market it would be in the $340k region.  So that brings its current price about right.

3 minutes ago, NBTBRV8 said:

Other states have a cheaper transfer rate than Victoria.

Other states haven't gone in to stage 4 lock down so whilst the economy is a concern it isn't all immediate doom and gloom like Victoria. When I was selling mine I had quite a few enquiries from outside of Victoria.

Dealers claim the GST back and pass it on the the buyer.

The Duttons car can only be used as a light reference point.   You've picked the cheapest car on the market,  it has done about three times as many kms and the colour makes it much harder to sell.  Guards red is a more appealing colour to a wider audience and it has only done 3500kms, so it will be as new.  When you have a look at what this car would be advertised for on the open market it would be in the $340k region.  So that brings its current price about right.

Yes but even if the dealer claims GST back, the end price to the buyer they sell to must include GST.  At $360k drive away in Vic there is no margin for the dealer.....,?

I get that transfer fees are less interstate but not by enough to make this all of a sudden a good deal.

for me 3,000km vs 9,000km and colour preference is splitting hairs, I don’t see a significant difference in value associated with that.

and regarding the virus, it might be Vic copping it now but it’s not isolated to Vic.  All states can and will suffer from bad government management (eg. quarantine) together with dickheads breaking the rules.  so I’d caution against assuming other states have this beaten.  What’s happened in Vic mimics return to lockdown In many places around the world.

1 minute ago, DJM said:

Yes but even if the dealer claims GST back, the end price to the buyer they sell to must include GST.  Plus a dealer needs to add a margin.  At $360k drive away in Vic there is no margin for the dealer. 

I get that transfer fees are less interstate but not by enough to make this anything like a good deal.

and for me 3,000km vs 9,000km is splitting hairs, I don’t see a significant difference in value associated with that.

Well I am no more of an expert that anyone else on here but do watch the market closely and recently sold a car, but have a look at the market all the cars in the $340k price range have super low kms.  All the cars with 10,000kms and over are in the $290-310k range.  The price of these cars are very sensitive to kms, because so many are low kms.  They are more sensitive than other makes given they are also third and fourth cars.

Also bear in mind there has been an uplift or at the very least a slowing in depreciation since Covid.  Porsche dealers from outside of Victoria are buying cars from Vic because they can't get stock.  PCSS was trying to buy car from Tasmania and they told me that directly.

2 minutes ago, NBTBRV8 said:

Well I am no more of an expert that anyone else on here but do watch the market closely and recently sold a car, but have a look at the market all the cars in the $340k price range have super low kms.  All the cars with 10,000kms and over are in the $290-310k range.  The price of these cars are very sensitive to kms, because so many are low kms.  They are more sensitive than other makes given they are also third and fourth cars.

Also bear in mind there has been an uplift or at the very least a slowing in depreciation since Covid.  Porsche dealers from outside of Victoria are buying cars from Vic because they can't get stock.  PCSS was trying to buy car from Tasmania and they told me that directly.

Did you get a premium for guards red........🤔

if I was a buyer I would not be fussed by kms +/- 5k or more because I’d intend to use it not baby it.  So over a few years of ownership whether it started at 3k or 9k it’ll become immaterial on resale.  I’ll happily take the discount for “high” (sub 10,000km) if that’s what the market dictates.

9 minutes ago, DJM said:

Did you get a premium for guards red........🤔

if I was a buyer I would not be fussed by kms +/- 5k or more because I’d intend to use it not baby it.  So over a few years of ownership whether it started at 3k or 9k it’ll become immaterial on resale.  I’ll happily take the discount for “high” (sub 10,000km) if that’s what the market dictates.

I don't disagree with you on the kms, I am just saying what I am seeing and experienced.

Also everyone that enquired about my car like the red :)

2 minutes ago, NBTBRV8 said:

I don't disagree with you on the kms, I am just saying what I am seeing and experienced.

Also everyone that enquired about my car like the red :)

If you make an inquiry of a car that is red of course you like the colour  . 😉

4 minutes ago, wilson59 said:

If you make an inquiry of a car that is red of course you like the colour  . 😉

Exactly what I thought......and he didn’t answer the question.  IIRC it was the lowest priced 991.1 on market before it finally sold?

1 minute ago, edgy said:

Even on 997 GT3, people are sensitive to km’s... but I think this more or less comes from the bargain hunters that are not necessarily knowledgeable about the platform... I’ve had some good drama lessons via correspondence in the last few weeks. 🙃 

Oh no not the SMS “buyers” trying to educate you on what your car is worth.....?

With a car I sold recently I had a bloke offer 20% off by text with his “justification”.  So I CALLED him to ask WTF and he back pedalled and said that’s all the money he could afford.  Hmm, Ok, so why don’t you buy something you CAN afford.  It sold soon after at the asking price.

Just now, DJM said:

Exactly what I thought......and he didn’t answer the question.  IIRC it was the lowest priced 991.1 on market before it finally sold?

It was the lowest priced yes because the borders were shut and I was trying to sell it to the largest audience which is the mainland and it is tough selling cars when people can't come and look at them.

Did I get a premium for a Guards red car, no but it certainly had a broader audience than Miami Blue does.  I had a lot of interest in the car, the below screen shot was taken a few days after it sold, so a few watchers had dropped off.  I have no doubt it would have sold quicker and for a higher price in a larger market.

And the irony of my post was lost, of course people only enquire on cars that peak their interest.   If you have the Miami car saved in your Carsales watch list, how often have you received notifications that other people are enquiring on it?  That part of Carsales works spot on.

Screenshot_20200708-115149.png

5 minutes ago, DJM said:

Oh no not the SMS “buyers” trying to educate you on what your car is worth.....?

With a car I sold recently I had a bloke offer 20% off by text with his “justification”.  So I CALLED him to ask WTF and he back pedalled and said that’s all the money he could afford.  Hmm, Ok, so why don’t you buy something you CAN afford.  It sold soon after at the asking price.

Mate I’ve had a lot of that... basically people shopping outside their means, which you seem to invite trouble when you price the car sharply... I’m sure @NBTBRV8 could relate! 

Just now, edgy said:

Mate I’ve had a lot of that... basically people shopping outside their means, which you seem to invite trouble when you price the car sharply... I’m sure @NBTBRV8 could relate! 

Spot on.  Edgy is going through what I did, and Edgy how hard is it to sell a car when people can't come and look at it?

Many also throw out a price with bravo as if they have some inside knowledge,  yet when you press them over it it soon comes out that is all they can afford and normally they are aspirational buyers, rather than people with means to do a deal at the market rate.

33 minutes ago, NBTBRV8 said:

Spot on.  Edgy is going through what I did, and Edgy how hard is it to sell a car when people can't come and look at it?

Many also throw out a price with bravo as if they have some inside knowledge,  yet when you press them over it it soon comes out that is all they can afford and normally they are aspirational buyers, rather than people with means to do a deal at the market rate.

This is 100% truth. 

I pulled my listing so I can better represent the car given the current climate, so new photography, then back to the workshop to go over it with a fine tooth comb, then a PPI that I can hand to prospective buyers, of course done purely with objective eyes ... The only discussion the buyers should be having with me is $$$ then... and they are still welcome to get their own PPI, lets see if it works?

9 hours ago, smit2100 said:

As I did nearly all my primary and secondary schooling in maths at public schools in  Seaford where the car is on show, whats wrong with my math?  Is cash price not based on winning bid x1.05 ( bad assumption for buyers premium of 5%?) x 1.1 ( bad assumption that  gst is 10%).    If your winning bid is $220,000 and you turn up with $243,100,  good luck with that buying strategy if you want the keys me thinks.  Unless of coarse you turn up with some muscle from a club house close by to where the car could be viewed and re negotiate the buying premium down to $1000 ex gst.

913850B2-55AA-4313-BD84-C56436CE2469.jpegIt is impossible to miss the GST component as you Click on the tab above if you want to bid. It adds up the totals for you so you know. This company normally does industrial auctions. I don’t know how they are going to stop people from bidding and then not paying for the car. 

9 minutes ago, edgy said:

This is 100% truth. 

I pulled my listing so I can better represent the car given the current climate, so new photography, then back to the workshop to go over it with a fine tooth comb, then a PPI that I can hand to prospective buyers, of course done purely with objective eyes ... The only discussion the buyers should be having with me is $$$ then... and they are still welcome to get their own PPI, lets see if it works?

@edgy

Crikey, this is like looking in a mirror, it was my situation to a tee.  I did absolutely everything to my car to make it as attractive as possible to someone who couldn't look at it and priced it sharply to find someone to have the courage to do so.  I made it so condition wasn't part of the equation to talk the price down.

Good luck with it.

The red car has now dropped back to $211k, or is my phone looking at old cache?

1 hour ago, Car tart said:

913850B2-55AA-4313-BD84-C56436CE2469.jpegIt is impossible to miss the GST component as you Click on the tab above if you want to bid. It adds up the totals for you so you know. This company normally does industrial auctions. I don’t know how they are going to stop people from bidding and then not paying for the car. 

Interesting.  So current bid is $211,000 so does that mean if successful the buyer has to lob up with $245,000?  I forgot about GST in my original calculations.  Wow it's not so cheap anymore when you have to add on the $20K to register it plus GST.  As such the current bid of $211K equals $265K drive away.  I will be watching with keen interest tonight at 7:55 pm.  I think $240K will be the top bid otherwise may as well buy elsewhere.

29 minutes ago, NBTBRV8 said:

I see this just got relisted for what, $20k than before?

Check out this 2015 Porsche 911 GT3 RS 991 Auto MY16. https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2015-Porsche-911-GT3-RS-991-Auto-MY16/OAG-AD-18770325

Ahh, there it is 🙄

Yes, I recall it being priced at $329,000 previously. (Now $349,990)

5 hours ago, Car tart said:

And here i was making excuses for ignorant people.  Now they’d re downright crazy if they are knowingly bidding 331k plus on roads.  No thanks (red or not!)

5 hours ago, NBTBRV8 said:

It was the lowest priced yes because the borders were shut and I was trying to sell it to the largest audience which is the mainland and it is tough selling cars when people can't come and look at them.

Did I get a premium for a Guards red car, no but it certainly had a broader audience than Miami Blue does.  I had a lot of interest in the car, the below screen shot was taken a few days after it sold, so a few watchers had dropped off.  I have no doubt it would have sold quicker and for a higher price in a larger market.

And the irony of my post was lost, of course people only enquire on cars that peak their interest.   If you have the Miami car saved in your Carsales watch list, how often have you received notifications that other people are enquiring on it?  That part of Carsales works spot on.

Screenshot_20200708-115149.png

Strong views means bugger all, it’s how many actually want to buy.  There are always plenty of lookers in no position to buy.  I’m on Carsales most days 😂. Iso thrills.  

I was astounded by how many looked at my old Beemer something like 1500 a day for a couple of weeks.  It was red though....😂

as for the “hurry people are enquiring” I’ve always assumed that was a bullshit Carsales algorithm with no link to actual enquiry to invite a bit of FOMO

I sold the car sight unseen.  No surprise for me as I have bought 6 cars sight unseen from interstate over the years including a 964 and a GT2, my current X5, 2 Mazda race cars and a clubman.  Maybe I’m just a risk taker 😎. And that’s without even a FaceTime walk around.