20 hours ago, DJM said:

expecting 991.2s to be changing hands at 270-275 as supply increases

My guess is they will potentially be trading them around there if not slightly less and reselling them just on the 300 mark. No chance the 991.2 GT3 will be changing hands via trade in at 270. Thank means they have traded these cars in around the 240 mark. Happy to be proven wrong otherwise thats one mean depreciation schedule on the GT3.

23 minutes ago, cafe_racer said:

How about a 991.1 trade in, they seems to be edging close to low 200,000's

I can see the informed .1 owner wanting to sell/trade within the next few years on the basis the engine warranty still has a few years to run at that point 

1 hour ago, ArthurK said:

My guess is they will potentially be trading them around there if not slightly less and reselling them just on the 300 mark. No chance the 991.2 GT3 will be changing hands via trade in at 270. Thank means they have traded these cars in around the 240 mark. Happy to be proven wrong otherwise thats one mean depreciation schedule on the GT3.

They weren’t talking trade in, they were saying I could pick one up from an owner directly at that price - PCB would facilitate a direct sale between a current PCB customer looking to upgrade and a future PCB customer.  Time will tell if that becomes a reality.

anyway, as we know opinions are like arseholes, we all have one.  Over and out for now.

22 minutes ago, DJM said:

They weren’t talking trade in, they were saying I could pick one up from an owner directly at that price - PCB would facilitate a direct sale between a current PCB customer looking to upgrade and a future PCB customer.  Time will tell if that becomes a reality.

anyway, as we know opinions are like arseholes, we all have one.  Over and out for now.

if that's the case then I agree

2 hours ago, Scott SS964 said:

I can see the informed .1 owner wanting to sell/trade within the next few years on the basis the engine warranty still has a few years to run at that point 

And what is the consensus on the longevity of those motors when the warranty expires? Surely they’re not going to grenade. The 991.1 is the bastard child of the GT3 family but at low 200 in the right spec I see them as good value for the performance on offer. They don’t make sense at 250-260 like many are still asking obviously.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2015-porsche-911-gt3-991-auto-my15/OAG-AD-19225033 PO

I saw this in the flesh last week and it’s a beautiful car. Overpriced IMO but something like this in the low 2s would be tempting. Just difficult to know what the long term reliability prospects are.

Speak to @WGA  - he PM’d me recently, he’s owned both and had an engine failure in .1.  

While he said he’d go for .2 for peace of mind, he also said his old car is still going strong after Porsche rebuilt to G series spec and the.1 had a sweeter more sonorous, less gruff engine note.

I do like that sapphire blue car 😍. At 200k...

23 minutes ago, DJM said:

Speak to @WGA  - he PM’d me recently, he’s owned both and had an engine failure in .1.  

While he said he’d go for .2 for peace of mind, he also said his old car is still going strong after Porsche rebuilt to G series spec and the.1 had a sweeter more sonorous, less gruff engine note.

I do like that sapphire blue car 😍. At 200k...

Paging @WGA :D

1 hour ago, DJM said:

the.1 had a sweeter more sonorous, less gruff engine note.

I have heard that from a couple of people but race engines with solid lifters have always been more “heavy metal” sounding than the placid road oriented hydraulic lifter engines. After all one of the features of hydraulic lifters is their relative quietness. If you want a race car for the road then best to have a race engine and not an over stressed road engine being operated beyond is limits acting like a ticking time bom. 

There is no doubt in my mind that the 991.1 GT3 is a sweeter sounding engine compared to the 991.2. However, as an overall package, the 991.2 is a better car. It rides better, steers a lot better and the increase in the bottom-end, and mid-range, torque is very noticeable. If I had to choose one, it would be the 991.2 for sure but a 991.2 with a new engine, at a good price, is a great ownership proposition.

Interestingly,  my 991.2 was PDK and my GT3 Touring was manual of course. In terms of mid-range stonk and throttle response, the Touring was noticeably stronger than the PDK, indeed I reckon it was as strong as my RS. I put that down to the drive train loss you get in the PDK which is greater than a manual. But, I would still choose a PDK GT3 over a manual because, at least for me anyway, I could get more out of the car with the PDK than the manual.

Also, when I sold the GT3 Touring only a few weeks ago, the buyer got an over revs report and it showed an over rev way over 9,000 rpm due to a mis-shift on my behalf on track one day. I had to get a compression test, etc done by Porsche to try and convince him that it was no problem and even though Porsche gave the car a clean bill of health, he wasn’t convinced and wanted a 30K discount on the price which I wasn’t prepared to give. The next half dozen prospects all reacted the same to the over revs report and wanted discounts. Ended up I had to discount the car to meet the market in order to move the car along. So the moral of the story here is don’t mis-shift your manual GT3, or if you a buying one, get an over revs report and bargain hard. I bet there are very few manual GT3s out there that have not mis-shifted.

IMG_2911.JPG

991.1 GT3 3.8L -- INDEPENDANT ENGINE FIX

I made reference to this awhile back however given the current subject matter I thought I'd post it here for those that may not fully understand the background to Porsche applying a 10 year engine warranty to the 991.1 3.8L GT3 engines (Worldwide)

As you will see from this thread there is still a little confusion as too wether or not Porsche has fixed the problem with the G series engines.

This fix i refer to has not been fully tested or costed as yet due to Porsche AG issuing the 10 year warranty prior to them finalising. As you can read in the thread being small independants they have benched finalising the fix at least until 2023/24 when these engines start coming out of warranty.

The Fix is a collaboration between Performance Developments and Dundon Motorsports out of the US

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1069698-991-1-finger-follower-progress.html

Has anyone viewed this car?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2015-porsche-911-gt3-991-auto-my15/SSE-AD-6356800/?Cr=1

Also what are views on where 991.1's are transacting?  Am I being a scumbag lowballer thinking $210k?

Or do I wait for the 992 GT3 to appear and keep my powder dry?

2 minutes ago, cafe_racer said:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2015-porsche-911-gt3-991-auto-my15/SSE-AD-6356800/?Cr=1

Also what are views on where 991.1's are transacting?  Am I being a scumbag lowballer thinking $210k?

I would find it rude offering $35k less thanks the asking price, especially from the safety on your armchair.

It's good that I asked then! Also i'd defs fly up and scope anything out before I put an offer it.  I remember flying to Sydney to check a 997.2 and walking away without offering as the car wasn't right.  Long way to go for a tyre kick, but internet photos never do justice.

20 minutes ago, cafe_racer said:

Why o why would you order the version with scaffolding if you never intended to use it on the track (even at least a couple of times)??????

26 minutes ago, edgy said:

people will be fighting to buy your coffee @ your local cars & coffee... 

Wonder if that happens when your car appears in a national magazine?  My car appears in last months Motor magazine where there do their back story on GT3 models as part of the story on the 992 GT3.....

4 hours ago, cafe_racer said:

What i know - This car has still got the original F series engine the current owner has done 3000 of the 27000kms it has got current factory extended warranty  .  
Also remember there is a lot of 991 GT cars in general both . 1, .2 & RS’s - I think this is a factor yet to play out when considering the size of the buyer pool as 992 GT cars come to market. 

4 hours ago, Scott SS964 said:

What i know - This car has still got the original F series engine the current owner has done 3000 of the 27000kms it has got current factory extended warranty  .  
Also remember there is a lot of 991 GT cars in general both . 1, .2 & RS’s - I think this is a factor yet to play out when considering the size of the buyer pool as 992 GT cars come to market. 

Thanks for the intel. I gave him a call today and am waiting on some more pics. Shame I missed out on the 991.1 in Melbourne which had the replaced warranty engine in there already. Didn’t have my ducks in a row in time.