1 minute ago, Kiwiland7r said:

Hi,

First time poster to these forums! Been following it for a couple of months and I was wondering if anyone would be and to help me out with a couple of simple questions.

Context: Am looking to be a GT3 owner in the near future, preferably 992, but if I can't get my hands on one, a 991.2 second hand. Am definitely looking to daily it.

1. What were the pre COVID prices for the 991.2 GT3 (Well spec'd, PCCB, carbon interiors etc)?

2. Although keen to own a GT3 (as my forever car) not keen to own one that's a ticking time bomb. My understanding is, even with a replaced engine, a 911.1 could still pose potential problems in the future?

3. If I don't have an established Porsche ownership record, is there any hope of being allocated a 992? So far, having dealt with Porsche Parramatta, they have have very lazy/non responsive to my enthusiastic emails/phone calls. I appreciate there must be a huge about interest in the carh. They havekept telling me to fill out an EOI, only to not actually forward any EOI paperwork. Hence it just ends up being a goose-chase of me calling up repeatedly. I can try alternative dealerships, but if the reality of being allocated a 992 is that it'll never happen, I rather nip the dream in the bud now and focus on the 991.2 (whenever that becomes more affordable).

1) Around $290-330k

2) Yes it is a risk.

3) Try another dealer but walk in rather than email.  There will be allocations dripped to them over 2 years.  You may also get a cancelled order.

18 minutes ago, NBTBRV8 said:

1) Around $290-330k

2) Yes it is a risk.

3) Try another dealer but walk in rather than email.  There will be allocations dripped to them over 2 years.  You may also get a cancelled order.

Agreed with all of the above . 
I think there is quite a line up for the 992 but will thin rapidly once orders are being taken which is still an unknown as buyers will drop out .

You can’t go wrong with the 991.2 great car but paying 10 to 15 % below 992 would be hard to take 

51 minutes ago, Kiwiland7r said:

Hi,

First time poster to these forums! Been following it for a couple of months and I was wondering if anyone would be and to help me out with a couple of simple questions.

Context: Am looking to be a GT3 owner in the near future, preferably 992, but if I can't get my hands on one, a 991.2 second hand. Am definitely looking to daily it.

1. What were the pre COVID prices for the 991.2 GT3 (Well spec'd, PCCB, carbon interiors etc)?

2. Although keen to own a GT3 (as my forever car) not keen to own one that's a ticking time bomb. My understanding is, even with a replaced engine, a 911.1 could still pose potential problems in the future?

3. If I don't have an established Porsche ownership record, is there any hope of being allocated a 992? So far, having dealt with Porsche Parramatta, they have have very lazy/non responsive to my enthusiastic emails/phone calls. I appreciate there must be a huge about interest in the carh. They havekept telling me to fill out an EOI, only to not actually forward any EOI paperwork. Hence it just ends up being a goose-chase of me calling up repeatedly. I can try alternative dealerships, but if the reality of being allocated a 992 is that it'll never happen, I rather nip the dream in the bud now and focus on the 991.2 (whenever that becomes more affordable).

I'm in more or less the same position in terms of wanting to get into a GT3, and I had more or less this identical conversation with Porsche South Sydney a couple of weeks ago.

For what it is worth, the sales guy at PCSS said that they were very concerned about the actual supply of 992 GT3s as the production and supply chain had been, and were still, impacted by COVID.  They didn't know how many they were being allotted, if and when they were likely to start arriving this year, and HQ was not telling them at this point.

He also said that at the moment they were only spec'ing and ordering cars for people they had sold cars to previously.  

There apparently wasn't room to move on the price of the silver 991.2 they've got, either.  Pretty sure I am not going to spend 380k on a 3- or 4- year old car with a 1 year warranty when the new model's going to be something like 415k to 440k depending on spec...

I don't have any way to validate what he said and YMMV.

Does make the GT4's look like a deal, though.  

2 hours ago, Kiwiland7r said:

Hi,

I have purchased a couple of GT cars from new over the pass 4 yrs.  So generally the Porsche centres will already have a list of interested buyers even before the car is announced and this list can be like double digits. Therefore if u r not already on this list your options are as follows:

1) be very patient

2) build relationship with a reputable sales guy and put ur deposit and wait

3) there will always be ppl pulling out in which case they will work down the list of those who have placed a deposit/ eoi 

4) buy a lightly used one once they start landing in country but u lightly to pay a small premium

for context my first GT car, I had one of the last ones that came into aust, about 10mths from order to taking delivery however it was my 1st Porsche. My 2nd GT car, I been on the list for 1.5 yrs before official launch but was one of the earlier cars.

if I were u, I try to get a 991.2 GT3 first.  Then u learn more about the car and know if u really want to pay the extra for a 992.  

19 minutes ago, theplanner said:

I have purchased a couple of GT cars from new over the pass 4 yrs.  So generally the Porsche centres will already have a list of interested buyers even before the car is announced and this list can be like double digits. Therefore if u r not already on this list your options are as follows:

1) be very patient

2) build relationship with a reputable sales guy and put ur deposit and wait

3) there will always be ppl pulling out in which case they will work down the list of those who have placed a deposit/ eoi 

4) buy a lightly used one once they start landing in country but u lightly to pay a small premium

for context my first GT car, I had one of the last ones that came into aust, about 10mths from order to taking delivery however it was my 1st Porsche. My 2nd GT car, I been on the list for 1.5 yrs before official launch but was one of the earlier cars.

if I were u, I try to get a 991.2 GT3 first.  Then u learn more about the car and know if u really want to pay the extra for a 992.  

The stamp duty to be paid and current premium on a 991.2 there really might not be much extra to just try one out over a new car . 

I think the 992 will be worth the wait .

23 minutes ago, wilson59 said:

The stamp duty to be paid and current premium on a 991.2 there really might not be much extra to just try one out over a new car . 

I think the 992 will be worth the wait .

All comes down to how much u can pick up a 991.2. If the driveway cost for a 991.2 is say 350k it is still some 80-100k less than an equivalent specced 992 plus a 1 to 2 yrs wait. 

2 hours ago, theplanner said:

All comes down to how much u can pick up a 991.2. If the driveway cost for a 991.2 is say 350k it is still some 80-100k less than an equivalent specced 992 plus a 1 to 2 yrs wait. 

408K for a basic 992 Clubsport in manual with light weight bucket seats. No way anyone is getting an equivalent spec 991.2 for 350K drive away in the current market. More likely to be 380-390 by the time you add stamp duty. At those $$ it just doesn’t make sense as you’ll be taking a rather large haircut to inevitably step up to a 992 once they hit the used market. There’s just no way 991.2s can sustain their current values for too long.

1 hour ago, spiller said:

408K for a basic 992 Clubsport in manual with light weight bucket seats. No way anyone is getting an equivalent spec 991.2 for 350K drive away in the current market. More likely to be 380-390 by the time you add stamp duty. At those $$ it just doesn’t make sense as you’ll be taking a rather large haircut to inevitably step up to a 992 once they hit the used market. There’s just no way 991.2s can sustain their current values for too long.

I highly doubt there be any 991.2 selling (actually changing hands) for 380-390 in the current market.  I know of a few ppl who have picked them up in the past few months for 310-350 mark...

Even the ones currently advertised are like driveway 380, thats before one starts negotiating.  Given the number of GT3's for sale, I'm sure they be negotiable if one is a genuine buyer...  

Talking drive away pricing makes it tricky to compare given Vic stamp duty is much higher than other states .  

I would think $310-330k is about the market now for a good spec 991.2 plus stamp duty in your state.  Somewhere between lowest they’ve been (~300) and the crazy jumps seen recently in asking prices on Carsales.

3 hours ago, NBTBRV8 said:

Who would have thought the .1 was an appreciating asset.  A touring too.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2013-porsche-911-gt3-991-auto-my14/OAG-AD-19835600

Red dials add $90k I’ve heard.  If so it makes sense 🤔

2 years remaining engine warranty, what could,possibly go wrong 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, DJM said:

Red dials add $90k I’ve heard.  If so it makes sense 🤔

2 years remaining engine warranty, what could,possibly go wrong 🤷‍♂️

Being a very early car it would have had the motor changed by the dealer to a F series you'd think.  I wonder if it still has that or it has had another motor in the G series.  The F series is a ticking time bomb, you'd want to keep up the extended warranty and hope it needs changing before 2028.

7 hours ago, spiller said:

Service manager showed me some phone pics of a couple of  time bombs that had gone off at The Bend in some 991.1s today. One GT3 and one GT3RS. It wasn’t pretty.

Ouch! That's gunna hurt the bank account

New sensibly priced car with good spec.  Shame about the H&O colour.  Kms wouldn’t bother me but might some.

asz75b4x3l495nes2y4iyhkpq.jpg?pxc_method=fitfill&pxc_width=480

2018 Porsche 911 GT3 991 Auto MY18

• Coupe
  • 6cyl 4.0 L Petrol
  • Automatic
  • 24,030 km

Dealer Used

For more information on this item please visit:
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2018-porsche-911-gt3-991-auto-my18/OAG-AD-19861199

3 minutes ago, spiller said:

Still under warranty but how long when will the new bombs that were installed in their place by Porsche go off?

I pity the owners who basically have a lemon. Not a very good look for Porsche when these things are well known to be a ticking time bomb. S'pose The Bend being an engine killer with its long straight and constant radius turns would contribute to the detonations 

Looking at todays pricing and for the exercise they hold on the 991.1 at what price point would some of you be prepared to take the risk and jump into one? Would some be tempted at 150k to 200k ?

1 hour ago, Rod C said:

Looking at todays pricing and for the exercise they hold on the 991.1 at what price point would some of you be prepared to take the risk and jump into one? Would some be tempted at 150k to 200k ?

My thoughts, 170k atm but realistically the 991.1 wont ever be a car to have to a GT3  enthusiast which is a shame because they’re are still a GT product. My prediction is they will therefore fall in the hands of people that don't have the means to fund a 997 or 991.2 or a 992. From there all bets will be off as to how well its maintained. 

If i did buy one i would have Porsche re map it to give me a hard cut at 8600RPM. As per the RS and R. Note RS cut starts at 8800RPM then rolls back to 8600RPM as you take gears.  

3 hours ago, spiller said:

Someone in the aftermarket will sort it out once the warranties expire, I’m sure. Won’t be cheap though! The cars will need to be bought at a reasonably good discount to justify.

Neil at Performance Developments in the US has a fix, but it requires you to send him your engine and costs US$30k. It replaces all of the hydraulic finger followers to new, custom fixed ones, and also includes completely changing the oiling system. Definitely not as simple to fix as the 996 IMS issue.

4 hours ago, Rod C said:

I would be tempted if a well specced car CS which was maintained at 150k. One can only dream though. Would be a good daily for the wife. I don't think i would have to worry about the cut off and I do not track cars.