17 minutes ago, Stephen Tinker said:

And lets face it, a 20 year old 996 GT3 is also too fast on our roads !! 

Anything faster than a Fiat Multipla is too fast for Australian roads 😉

Valid points above re cars that attract too much attention. I find driving “flashy” cars in Aus to be “negative”. Once broke down in the middle of Bondi in a Red Ferrari and the abuse I got was terrible. Wouldn’t have minded the odd dig here and here (coz let’s face it a guy in a broken down Ferrari can’t expect anything less) but Jesus some of the comments I got (especially from This old grumpy angry bloke who came right up to my window) were leaning on hostile. And all I was doing was quietly minding my own business waiting for “help” to arrive. 

Back on topic, I’m one of those people who likes and appreciates the GT3. (To me at least) It’s like a nod to fellow enthusiasts, and to everyone else, I’m just written off as another guy facing a mid life crisis in his 911 

2 hours ago, theplanner said:

I think the point that is missed here is not that it is NA, better experience or not.  The marketing on these cars are so good, that the ppl who buy these cars have been sold the idea of a track car for the rd that is low key and they generally have deep pockets and/or are speculators.  The people I know who have a touring or want a touring already have multiple cars in their garage/ collection.  Some already have a track car etc, so they like the idea of a car that is capable for the track but has the subtlety of an everyday 911 that they can drive around and stay "low key" ... LOL. 

The GTS motor is still no GT3 though as good as the GTS is in isolation.  

I do agree these cars are just too damn quick for the road but people do like bragging rights even if they hardly ever get anywhere close to the capability of the car. 

Yes totally agree , I have dedicated track cars open wheeled cars and to me tin tops are heavy and cost a fortune to track with less performance , I intend to purchase a GT3 in early next year and will not be buying a touring as I like GT3 in its track form but do appreciate why people like the Touring version . I am purchasing the GT3 purely as a weekend road car and will not be tracking it , some have said why not buy a turbo or a GTS if it is a road car use only ,,,simple the GT3 is more raw and to me a better driving experience, the car is alive and angry  , I find the Turbo and GTS to refined , yes they are the smart choice for a fast road car but neither of them are as enjoyable as a GT3..Yes the performance on all 3 is more than anyone would need , but in my view we are all different and like different things , if you have the coin and it makes you happy , enjoy life and enjoy the car .

The reason I think this way is a friend of mine was diagnosed with brain aneurysm a few years back and nearly died from it , doctors told him he could have more of these in the future and no guarantees that the will not take his life , He currently drive a 720 Mclaren and his motto is live life to the fullest you never know what hand life will deal you , so why not  experience these things if it brings you joy , the vast majority of us on this site are not young men anymore , if you are over 50 this is the time in your life to enjoy the fruits of your labour ...you can,nt take the money with you when you pass and the Government and every other dead shit in this country is trying to finger you for your hard earned dollar, spend it on something nice and enjoy it . regardless of what it is ... 

3 hours ago, Raven said:

Main point to remember with any car purchase and obviously this applies to all GT3,s........ if the price is to good to be true and way under market value ,there is something wrong and trouble in the wind , "stay away"  

Having confirmed who the owner is / was, might I suggest that any repairs would have been done to the highest level on that car, I expect he would have done whatever was needed to make it right.  Might be a great opportunity for the right person to acquire the car at an appropriate price, recognising it's history.

3 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Might be a great opportunity for the right person to acquire the car at an appropriate price, recognising it's history.

So it is10k off the next  listed priced one.

That would be a real hard decision to make, buy one that has been flogged, crashed and abused all its life or spend an extra 10k for a garage queen.

5 hours ago, Raven said:

Yes totally agree , I have dedicated track cars open wheeled cars and to me tin tops are heavy and cost a fortune to track with less performance , I intend to purchase a GT3 in early next year and will not be buying a touring as I like GT3 in its track form but do appreciate why people like the Touring version . I am purchasing the GT3 purely as a weekend road car and will not be tracking it , some have said why not buy a turbo or a GTS if it is a road car use only ,,,simple the GT3 is more raw and to me a better driving experience, the car is alive and angry  , I find the Turbo and GTS to refined , yes they are the smart choice for a fast road car but neither of them are as enjoyable as a GT3..Yes the performance on all 3 is more than anyone would need , but in my view we are all different and like different things , if you have the coin and it makes you happy , enjoy life and enjoy the car .

The reason I think this way is a friend of mine was diagnosed with brain aneurysm a few years back and nearly died from it , doctors told him he could have more of these in the future and no guarantees that the will not take his life , He currently drive a 720 Mclaren and his motto is live life to the fullest you never know what hand life will deal you , so why not  experience these things if it brings you joy , the vast majority of us on this site are not young men anymore , if you are over 50 this is the time in your life to enjoy the fruits of your labour ...you can,nt take the money with you when you pass and the Government and every other dead shit in this country is trying to finger you for your hard earned dollar, spend it on something nice and enjoy it . regardless of what it is ... 

Well said I agree with all of that!!

Having had 3 x GT3's all manual ClubSports over the last 15 years I'm hoping to get a Touring allocation for the 992 which I will spec in a manual. I have a few reasons for wanting a Touring this time around 

- I love the purity of the 911 design with out the wing and I always have.

- Any serious track days are of no interest to me anymore...... even if I do a track day a Touring will have all the grip I need. (we all know these are not race cars )

- My interest around automotive engineering is at an all time high so the mechanicals of a GT3 is still the only way forward for me.

- I have always been a fairly conservative person and when the "R"was released I was sold at that moment; that was what validated this style of car for me. An understated stylish yet still performance looking 911 that was the sheep in wolves clothing.  

- Oh and, I may thats only a may be able to entice my wife out for some country drives in a car that  doesn't have a cage and wing.

- Finally I too am in my 50's and realise that the years tick away very fast so I'm enjoying every moment i can.

Interested to see how many Touring versions are allocated to Australia, and in turn, what this will do to the value of the 991 Touring. 992T looks the business. I much prefer the watered down aggression compared to the GT3 as it seems to be less of a departure in the styling department from the previous gen. That painted front fascia makes a huge difference.

27 minutes ago, spiller said:

Interested to see how many Touring versions are allocated to Australia, and in turn, what this will do to the value of the 991 Touring

They are playing their cards very close to their chest on this at a guess based on snippets I'm estimating there will be around 50 + the 25 70th anniversery additions so say 75,  992 Tourings for Aus.

With the GT3 likely to be double or triple that.

17 minutes ago, Scott SS964 said:

They are playing their cards very close to their chest on this at a guess based on snippets I'm estimating there will be around 50 + the 25 70th anniversery additions so say 75,  992 Tourings for Aus.

I don’t get why Porsche drip feed the touring. I understand we are a small market but it appears many want them and can’t get them, globally. I also understand Porsche likes to just under supply with their GT cars, but it’s obvious they have ramped up their production capacity significantly since the 991 came into the fold. Why they don’t simply build more of what people want is beyond me.

Porsche just seem a little too desperate to make a model for everyone and with them mostly having no real difference other than cosmetics (and significantly higher price tags). 

55 minutes ago, Scott SS964 said:

PCA will bring in precisely one less car than they have on order , Just like GT2RS.....

The non numbered cars can be purchased (the N-1 is not entirely true) as long as the purchaser is patient and builds a relationship with the dealership.  Quite often a lot of ppl pull out despite being allocated a car so the patience game will pay off. 

It is those lacking patience who believe N-1 applies, nonetheless, there is a limit on the number of cars that ultimately get sold in Australia. 

But you definitely cannot walk into a dealership and expect to spec one and be allocated one right away like you can with say a lambo...

Also, each dealerships is allocated a certain number of cars based on their sales performance of certain cars.  So pick your dealership wisely ;)

I think this is a rather good strategy, which is paying off in resale value, alternatively take at a look at Mclaren / Lambos with their atrocious resale value it is because anyone with the $$$ can simply walk into a dealership and order almost any car they want with exception of the limited run cars. 

4 minutes ago, theplanner said:

The non numbered cars can be purchased (the N-1 is not entirely true) as long as the purchaser is patient and builds a relationship with the dealership.  Quite often a lot of ppl pull out despite being allocated a car so the patience game will pay off. 

It is those lacking patience who believe N-1 applies, nonetheless, there is a limit on the number of cars that ultimately get sold in Australia. 

But you definitely cannot walk into a dealership and expect to spec one and be allocated one right away like you can with say a lambo...

Also, each dealerships is allocated a certain number of cars based on their sales performance of certain cars.  So pick your dealership wisely ;)

I think this is a rather good strategy, which is paying off in resale value, alternatively take at a look at Mclaren / Lambos with their atrocious resale value it is because anyone with the $$$ can simply walk into a dealership and order almost any car they want with exception of the limited run cars. 

Do you recommend dinner or just compliments . How do you build a good relationship ? 

@theplanner,

Whilst i agree regarding allocations with regard to each dealer - and the TOTAL # of cars located to PCA - What i was quoting was exactly the words spoken to me (and another member here) by a SNR (and someone that would know) PCA person.

They are in the business of selling cars. They want to sell more.

1 hour ago, wilson59 said:

Do you recommend dinner or just compliments . How do you build a good relationship ? 

Pick a dealership and sales rep you are willing to deal with, tell them in person you are interested in a GT3. They will sell you the story of " all sold out etc etc" but just tell them you are keen should opportunity present.  Keep in touch with them, pop into dealership every now and then. If they invite you place an EOI / deposit (typically 5-10k), do it right away then it becomes a waiting game.  Since you are not already on the list, it simply means you need to be patient and have your cash ready when opportunity presents.  Don't even haggle if you dont have relationship, just accept the driveway price, and make it clear to them you are happy to do so.  If they invite you to event, you should try to attend if available etc.  As a rule of thumb, given you are not on list and should you end up on the list it may be 1.5-2 years before you get your car.  It could also be someone's order and they cant take delivery (for whatever reasons) then they will work through their list of ppl in which case you may get a car earlier. Hope this helps!   

FYI, there are many regulars who place deposits on these cars like years ahead of official unveil.  I had my deposit on the 991.2 GT3 like 2 yrs before it was announced.  Also on the list for the 4RS since 2019 etc....

So to sum it up: Must have $$ ready anytime, be extremely patient, maintain good relationship so you are always at the back of their minds should the opportunity presents they come to you first. 

I am very interested in a 992 GT3 purchase but am not able to do anything until my real estate exchanges in mid October with the developers who I have the deal with , and I am not prepared to put any money down on a purchase until I have the money in my account ,I am very hopeful I will be able to put and order in once that happens , just have to wait and see , fingers crossed all the moons line up ...

iris (5).jpg

EOI is usually 5 or 10k, and fully refundable. I was 7th on the list for my GT3, and got bumped to 2nd because a bunch of people either wanted to wait, or dropped off the list for the RS.

Being on the list costs you nothing.

Far as a relationship goes, means nothing once your SA moves on unless you're in their face buying a car every year.

Went for a spin in the GT3 today, first drive for probably 6 weeks and, well, decided it's not for me.  Too fast for the road, too good for the track. 

Meanwhile, I dropped my RX7 rims off to have new A050s fitted and found myself looking forward to bashing that around PI next weekend much more than driving the GT3.  I know i know......prices have gone up so....what the hell.   Open to offers given i bought it for less.  Not out to make a fortune.......cracker car.

Spare the commentary, i can do what i want......😃

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2017-porsche-911-gt3-991-auto-my18/SSE-AD-7285661/?Cr=0

GT35.jpg

@Lucky Phil Beemer came and went.  Owned during the long lockdown and some young kid offered me a price I couldn’t refuse.  Cool car if I was 25....😂  what’s next?  No idea. I had a bit of a poke around tying to find my old Westfield with Honda F20C, that was the most fun I’ve had at legal speeds.......🤔

Carmine red trim looks really good in the flesh so I didn’t change it

@spiller yeah maybe a manual would be more engaging on road but probably a 10% improvement and still way too fast.  Most of the drive I’m under 4000rpm, so no exhaust sound even with the exhaust “turned on”.

I have no need for a cup car, I passed a 996 Cup at Winton in the Mazda 😂  he did pip me in lap times though - 0.4 seconds faster but slicks vs A050

On 17/06/2021 at 22:44, theplanner said:

Pick a dealership and sales rep you are willing to deal with, tell them in person you are interested in a GT3. They will sell you the story of " all sold out etc etc" but just tell them you are keen should opportunity present.  Keep in touch with them, pop into dealership every now and then. If they invite you place an EOI / deposit (typically 5-10k), do it right away then it becomes a waiting game.  Since you are not already on the list, it simply means you need to be patient and have your cash ready when opportunity presents.  Don't even haggle if you dont have relationship, just accept the driveway price, and make it clear to them you are happy to do so.  If they invite you to event, you should try to attend if available etc.  As a rule of thumb, given you are not on list and should you end up on the list it may be 1.5-2 years before you get your car.  It could also be someone's order and they cant take delivery (for whatever reasons) then they will work through their list of ppl in which case you may get a car earlier. Hope this helps!   

FYI, there are many regulars who place deposits on these cars like years ahead of official unveil.  I had my deposit on the 991.2 GT3 like 2 yrs before it was announced.  Also on the list for the 4RS since 2019 etc....

So to sum it up: Must have $$ ready anytime, be extremely patient, maintain good relationship so you are always at the back of their minds should the opportunity presents they come to you first. 

This....