On 7/25/2018 at 8:03 PM, edgy said:

Nice spec! Good looking example

No sport chrono?? Would be the first box I’d tick , love the car but don’t think you get launch control without s/c

8 minutes ago, Mick said:

No sport chrono?? Would be the first box I’d tick , love the car but don’t think you get launch control without s/c

Not sure about that.  By and large it is redundant, and even if you didn't get launch how often would you use it:

Sport Chrono Package.
A precision instrument at the limit: the optional Sport Chrono Package, comprising an analogue and digital stopwatch on the dashboard. It is operated by the
control stalk for the on-board computer and presents timed hours, minutes and seconds in analogue format. Seconds, tenths and hundredths of a second
appear on the stopwatch display screen and are also duplicated on a digital display in the instrument cluster.

In conjunction with Porsche Communication Management (PCM), Sport Chrono Package functionality is enhanced with a performance display and the ability to
display, store and evaluate recorded lap times. In this way, the driver can view the current lap time and distance, number of laps completed and other times achieved
so far. It is also possible to view the current fastest lap and range until empty. Any travelled distances can be recorded and benchmark times defined. After all,
you can’t push the limit in just one day

Yeah can probably live without it I suppose that’s what timers are for , you’d probably be to busy to worry about flicking the lever on the spot each lap anyway. Would love to get a lap around lakeside in one. I’ve been watching these for a while now and they are really good value atm I think but I still have that eng issue in the back of my mind. Not sure if I’d be better waiting for the .2’s now ??

I have the dash wart on my 997 C2 s take it from me its crap ,,,much better timing units and aps available for iphone that are far superior and easier to use ..

Like you said you are to busy to be operating the lever ,,,not needed on a GT3 you want hands free GPS lap timer not a old school stop watch ..

I have my SC disabled, not intentionally it seemily got switched off with the TPMS function...but I don’t miss it, no need for it, launch control is useful for the 1/4 mile, which a GT3 is not exactly a drag car... 

for the circuit, I just rely on natsoft, or you can get any one of the timing apps and devices on non timed sessions 

I was just speaking to Brighton and they are about to list this car:

MY15 911 GT3

15,000km on clock

JET BLACK METALLIC

SPORTS BUCKET SEATS

AUTO DIMMING MIRRORS

INSTRUMENT DIALS IN WHITE

CLUB SPORTS PACKAGE

6 POINT HARNESS FOR PASSENGER SIDE

MOBILE PHONE PREPERATION

SPORTS CHRONO PACKAGE

This vehicle will be listed up at $299k on road

1 hour ago, GRK930 said:

Sounds a bit high compared to what’s being offered on the market. 

My general thoughts too without seeing the car.

They sold an Agate Grey car last week so quickly that it didn't even get advertised.   Clubsport,  PCCB,  12,000km $293k on road.

2 hours ago, NBTBRV8 said:

I was just speaking to Brighton and they are about to list this car:

MY15 911 GT3

15,000km on clock

JET BLACK METALLIC

SPORTS BUCKET SEATS

AUTO DIMMING MIRRORS

INSTRUMENT DIALS IN WHITE

CLUB SPORTS PACKAGE

6 POINT HARNESS FOR PASSENGER SIDE

MOBILE PHONE PREPERATION

SPORTS CHRONO PACKAGE

This vehicle will be listed up at $299k on road

On road has to help that argument... sure there is a now seemingly plethora of 991.1 mid 200's but the ORC costs add a good chunk of church change, plus a Porsche centre selling it... it'll usually have some $$ dumped on it to put it right for the sale. A Black CS is going to be easier to sell than an agate grey any day of the week I'd imagine. 

Ok peoples thoughts 991.1 gt3 

991.2 gt3  991rs   Are the last 2 cars that much better than  a .1 gt3 to justify the extra $$’s and yes it will be tracked 

I have a cautious feeling over the engine issue when it gets closer to the factory bailing on the warranty. I have a feeling the RS could fall into the mid high 3’s and could become quite a car for the money but I still come back to how good a value the .1’s are and may even get cheaper. The new gt3 is probably my pick but I still think they are to close price wise to the RS. I’d like some opinions to try and in scramble my decision. 

With all the doom and gloom around 991.1 engines, I'm curious to know, what happens if the engine goes pop?  Are we are talking  $30-40k rebuild?  Or is it a call to PCM for another engine which is probably $70-80k+?

any accountants among us, fire up your spreadsheets please.

That white 991 GT3 CS at $250k has sat on market for 6+ weeks.  So let's assume the buyer would take wholesale of say $220k to offload it instead of trading via Porsche. I assume Porsche warranty on the engine until 2024, 6 years away.  Off I go to punt the thing around every track in the country.  alternatively I could stump up $380k entry for a 991.2 CS or 991.1 RS instead to avoid engine issues.  

So the question is, at what buy price for a 991.1 will I have "insured against" any eventuality with the engine.  How cheap does it need to be before it's compelling value knowing the engine issue.  I'm no gambler but it seems to me saving $160k is great buying if you had say 10-20% risk (?) that you might cop $40-$80k repair.

Resale?  Hmm, gut feel says $380k becoming $250k is likely in say 5 years.  For the .1 to cost as much to own, it would have to fall to $90k in 5 years. I suspect that is unlikely?  

.2 is a better car?  Yeah no question but it's all incremental improvement and having driven one on track, the 991.1 is astonishing.  Oh but is guess 4.0 is stamped on the wing on a 991.2 so maybe $160k extra is worth it for bragging rights at cars and coffee.....

I'm looking at this through the prism of track cars which cost $$$ to maintain and tend to be worth far less than they owe over time.  And before you say it, yes  there are other track car options (including 996/997) but I'm really trying to "value" the 991.1 engine issue.  Give me a graph that I can use to lowball the $250k guy.....?

On 8 August 2018 at 6:59 PM, NBTBRV8 said:

New blood on the market.  Good price and spec if you like white.

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-2014/OAG-AD-16284663/?Cr=3

Always bloody White.  Where's the red and blue ones.....?

I can’t help with numbers on motors... maybe Rennlist would net you an answer, alas in US market terms... where to us aussies it seems like they actually get paid to drive these cars relatively speaking... ? 

i know a guy who had his motor go boom, 991.1, repaired by dealer no cost... and it happened on the track

17 hours ago, DJM said:

With all the doom and gloom around 991.1 engines, I'm curious to know, what happens if the engine goes pop?  Are we are talking  $30-40k rebuild?  Or is it a call to PCM for another engine which is probably $70-80k+?

any accountants among us, fire up your spreadsheets please.

That white 991 GT3 CS at $250k has sat on market for 6+ weeks.  So let's assume the buyer would take wholesale of say $220k to offload it instead of trading via Porsche. I assume Porsche warranty on the engine until 2024, 6 years away.  Off I go to punt the thing around every track in the country.  alternatively I could stump up $380k entry for a 991.2 CS or 991.1 RS instead to avoid engine issues.  

So the question is, at what buy price for a 991.1 will I have "insured against" any eventuality with the engine.  How cheap does it need to be before it's compelling value knowing the engine issue.  I'm no gambler but it seems to me saving $160k is great buying if you had say 10-20% risk (?) that you might cop $40-$80k repair.

Resale?  Hmm, gut feel says $380k becoming $250k is likely in say 5 years.  For the .1 to cost as much to own, it would have to fall to $90k in 5 years. I suspect that is unlikely?  

.2 is a better car?  Yeah no question but it's all incremental improvement and having driven one on track, the 991.1 is astonishing.  Oh but is guess 4.0 is stamped on the wing on a 991.2 so maybe $160k extra is worth it for bragging rights at cars and coffee.....

I'm looking at this through the prism of track cars which cost $$$ to maintain and tend to be worth far less than they owe over time.  And before you say it, yes  there are other track car options (including 996/997) but I'm really trying to "value" the 991.1 engine issue.  Give me a graph that I can use to lowball the $250k guy.....?

I'd Call PCA to clarify before purchase

Will always be harder to sell a .1 regardless due to the known engine issues, I would say most GT3 buyers like the capabilities on track however value the heritage and reputation of a particular model strongly as well. Value modelling is just a guess at best your figures seem to be based on a standard depreciation type schedule which is a one model.

Hahahah - Porsche MotorSport base colour.

Overall the 991.1 could be seen as a great buy as a track car when compared to others; if your viewing through the prism of a using it as a track car id just be getting things in writing from PCA so you know your base line in the case of a popped engine. This could be the defining fact in the equation keep us informed!!!

Disclaimer - I'm no track rat these days, I personally look at my GT cars through the prism of race heritage and/or reputation combined with what feels right to me.

Good luck Doug I look forward to catching up for a drive soon.