13 minutes ago, NBTBRV8 said:

He still likes the 991.1 GT3

Great Podcast in depth and lots of info.

The 991.1 is a great car ..........just with a problematic engine.

I found it interesting that the lesson learnt with the 9.1 was when your changing models 997 to 991 ie new chassis, body, suspension, rear steer etc etc..don't do a new engine as well as its too much work.

Hence the 992 taking a tweaked 1.2 engine which he went onto say is a bullet proof engine more so than even the famed Mezger.

There wasn't much to go on with regards to the engines lifecycle however my take was it sounds like the ICE engines won't comply in Europe come 2026. The US market and others like AUS with lower emotion regs may keep the ICE fire burning a little longer.

13 hours ago, SS 3 said:

There wasn't much to go on with regards to the engines lifecycle however my take was it sounds like the ICE engines won't comply in Europe come 2026. The US market and others like AUS with lower emotion regs may keep the ICE fire burning a little longer.

Which means eventually all the cars we love will be in the hands of investors …. blergh.

4 hours ago, sleazius said:

Which means eventually all the cars we love will be in the hands of investors …. blergh.

I find this troubling as eventually I’d like to add a “new” GT car to my garage but not as the cost of my current old ones. The US market is the largest though so I wonder if Porsche will continue to produce for them (and us/others outside of Europe) beyond then. Will be interesting to see. 

I’m not sure that the investment thesis really plays out long term as the younger kids (including most of mine) potentially have very little interest in cars compared to ‘us’ so it’s possible the demand from the generation just won’t be there for them…..and the investment approach then falls over? 

A bit like talking to a high 30 - low 40 year old Porsche driver recently.  They had categorically no interest in a manual car when I asked about them…’why would I want a manual?” Was what came back at me. And they are into cars.  I suspect they won’t be buyers of our precious manual collectables either…..maybe we are all playing swapsees  on pfa! 

It’s like those 40’s - 50’s cars these days. You can buy a cool old Bentley for $30k. Which used to be a heck of a lot more expensive to collectors. Now the old guys that used to buy them and polish them on weekends either have them, or are too old to consider them. And people who have the enthusiasm, dollars and youth aren’t interested in them. Who knows if the same will happen to the old cars we enjoy. 

19 minutes ago, cafe_racer said:

It’s like those 40’s - 50’s cars these days. You can buy a cool old Bentley for $30k. Which used to be a heck of a lot more expensive to collectors. Now the old guys that used to buy them and polish them on weekends either have them, or are too old to consider them. And people who have the enthusiasm, dollars and youth aren’t interested in them. Who knows if the same will happen to the old cars we enjoy. 

Possibly to some extent, but I would think less so with a sports car

7 hours ago, mc968cs said:

A bit like talking to a high 30 - low 40 year old Porsche driver recently.  They had categorically no interest in a manual car when I asked about them…’why would I want a manual?” Was what came back at me. And they are into cars.  I suspect they won’t be buyers of our precious manual collectables either…..maybe we are all playing swapsees  on pfa! 

It would be funny if tips and sportomatics become more valuable than manuals! 🤣

11 hours ago, mc968cs said:

I’m not sure that the investment thesis really plays out long term as the younger kids (including most of mine) potentially have very little interest in cars compared to ‘us’ so it’s possible the demand from the generation just won’t be there for them…..and the investment approach then falls over? 

I’m 43 so just make your age range. Can’t go past a manual for the street IMO.

I think it more depends what happens with electric vehicles. Do they get to a point where they have ‘soul’? Or do they stay a one trick pony where ripping your face off and making you want to vomit is the name of the game? It’s incredibly hard to tell at this point how it will play out.

I think ultimately let’s say the youngest group en masse that is into manual cars are 40 at the low end. Worst case scenario the cars stay desirable for another 30-35 years.

My other hobby has two technology breaks in it, one which happened in 1978, and another more recently in 2013. The newer people to the hobby don’t much care for anything prior to 2013 it’s true. But each era has its own collectors, and the middle period is thriving, even though that goes back to 1978.

I’m 43 so just make your age range. Can’t go past a manual for the street IMO.

I think it more depends what happens with electric vehicles. Do they get to a point where they have ‘soul’? Or do they stay a one trick pony where ripping your face off and making you want to vomit is the name of the game? It’s incredibly hard to tell at this point how it will play out.

I think ultimately let’s say the youngest group en masse that is into manual cars are 40 at the low end. Worst case scenario the cars stay desirable for another 30-35 years.

My other hobby has two technology breaks in it, one which happened in 1978, and another more recently in 2013. The newer people to the hobby don’t much care for anything prior to 2013 it’s true. But each era has its own collectors, and the middle period is thriving, even though that goes back to 1978.

If I still have my dinosaur tech GT3 when I’m 70, I hope (a useless word) I’m in a position where the value of the vehicle has no correlation to my ability to live/retire/help educate my grand kids blah blah blah. To consider something an investment it either needs to produce an income (not possible in this case) or be sold at some stage to realise the capital gain. The thought of selling a car as means to cash out is not one that sits well with me (but maybe you get to a point where you just can’t be stuffed with it? Dunno, ask me in 35-40 years!).  I can’t see any old 911 ever being “worthless” but we may not even be able to fuel them by then. Who knows. Point is, drive them as you could be dead tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, SS 3 said:

Great to see GT3’s out on track yesterday here is Mark out at Sandown raceway in his new 992GT3

IMG_4862.MOV IMG_4878.MOV

I ended up circulating with it on the last session. I managed to keep it behind me but I was checking the mirrors constantly!!!!!

These manual cars may well lose value if the future generations don't care about them, but will be after all of us, the current crop of enthusiasts are dead. While we are still around they will still have value. So it doesn't matter if they are worth scrap after we are gone. That way there is less in your estate that will cause arguments and dramas by the next generation picking at your scraps ;) 

14 hours ago, mc968cs said:

Interesting. Thanks. What’s the other hobby and the tech’ breaks’? 

Pinball.

1978-ish saw the introduction of computer chips (solid-state). Previously games were electro-mechanical.

2013 saw the introduction of LCD screens.

Enthusiasts will often focus on one particular era, either being the one they grew up with as kids, or a period in their life when they played them. In the case of the newer younger people to the hobby, they often won't be interested in anything prior to LCDs becoming a thing, due to a perceived notion that games prior to that are 'old'.

I've seen several bubbles in the hobby over my time in it, the one we're in currently is ridiculous. It is far worse than anything we see with cars.

31 minutes ago, MFX said:

These manual cars may well lose value if the future generations don't care about them, but will be after all of us, the current crop of enthusiasts are dead. While we are still around they will still have value. So it doesn't matter if they are worth scrap after we are gone. That way there is less in your estate that will cause arguments and dramas by the next generation picking at your scraps ;) 

Exactly, who cares.

Side note - I'm selling up before I'm dead. I'd rather see my kids get their inheritance. Here's the cash - no need to pick over my corpse. Who wants a beer?

2 minutes ago, Shedpest said:

The justification sales pitch has started, 

992 Clubsport edition is $460k and there is no stock available. $380k price is firm.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2018-porsche-911-gt3-991-auto-my18/SSE-AD-11994808/?Cr=13

Doesn't that nice level of arrogance just invite you to enquire on the car if in the market.

At least he wrote something and just didn't leave the Carsales spiel up.  That is the worst "enhancement" they ever introduced.

3 minutes ago, NBTBRV8 said:

Doesn't that nice level of arrogance just invite you to enquire on the car if in the market.

At least he wrote something and just didn't leave the Carsales spiel up.  That is the worst "enhancement" they ever introduced.

I actually do like that car has all options I would want and have saved it , but yes the 992 GT3 quote is just not called for ..??

1 hour ago, wilson59 said:

$350 K and I would be all over it . When it's priced at $380 K it's too close to pricing of the equivalent in a  991.2 RS to even consider .

I think at those prices one is better off paying the extra and

1. chase a 992 GT3 or
  2. go for a GT4RS new…..or
  3. the 991.2 RS around $400….

ie…. New cars are now relatively well priced until second hand prices cool.  A 2018 GT3 is near 4 years old shortly…..

2 hours ago, mc968cs said:

I think at those prices one is better off paying the extra and

1. chase a 992 GT3 or
  2. go for a GT4RS new…..or
  3. the 991.2 RS around $400….

ie…. New cars are now relatively well priced until second hand prices cool.  A 2018 GT3 is near 4 years old shortly…..

So far I have found that 992 GT3 unable to get one GT4 RS same , unavailable , the 991.2 GT3 RS that have the spec I am after are in the $470 k upward price range , $380 k for that white 991.2 GT3 is high average price seems to be around the $350K mark , I am not buying till March next year so just keep and eye on market and what every is available in March that is not over $500K I am interested in ,,but I am leaning towards a nice 991.2 GT3 for around $350K mark , car will not be tracked and only a weekend toy , asI have open wheel race cars for track .

RS in either GT3 or GT4 would be nice , but do I need it for weekend drive , I think GT3 is better suited to what I am doing with the car and a $100K saving ..???? 

I know its a first world problem I have :Chuckle2: