PHOTOBUCKET 3rd Party Meter on my posts

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Imgur 

I've tried registering twice on their stupid website and the thing hangs after I click register and selecting all those robot pics... can't sign up!!

I'm gonna try flickr.

testing flickr....  image below or not

<deleted>

damn it, its just a link!

I've tried registering twice on their stupid website and the thing hangs after I click register and selecting all those robot pics... can't sign up!!

I'm gonna try flickr.

testing flickr....  image below or not

<deleted>

damn it, its just a link!

Make sure in the image settings, you make it viewable to the public...

IMG_2789

aarrrgggh   well that test worked well using FLICKR.    Photo ref number but no photo.

image settings are public.   There must be a trick doing it to get it on forum?

I can download photos to the FLICKR site but have no idea, what is next, to get them onto here

IMG_2789

By god I've got it. :CoolDance:   I have no idea how but I will go and try again to make sure I haven't fluked it....

IMG_2794

Pissa...Got it.......thank you and hello FLCKR.           Thanks for the ambush and Hoo Roo Photobucket       

ok, i'm not too good at explaining this but here goes.

Open an account with FLICKR.

Once you have set that up and sent back your confirmation email to Flickr

open up your home page.   On the top right of that page is a cloud diagram. 

Click on that.   You can then upload from your desk top, just drag and drop photo or video into the nominated area.

The beauty here is you do not have to resize it as you used to have to with photo bucket.

Your photo will then appear and you now have the options to edit and to add a title.

Once you have done that click on the "upload one photo" which is highlighted in blue on the top right.

Your photo should now be saved.

To transfer it to the forum.....

Click on the photo it should enlarge up for you...

Then click the SHARE PHOTO ARROW on the right top of the screen.

the flickr id number will come up in a box and it will be highlighted in pink

Right click on the pink highlight.   And to copy.

Then go back to the PFA forum post and right click on paste and below should be the end result of doing that...

IMG_2740_2

Good luck with it.   You can also make your own albums etc once your in the Flickr site.   I also have mine set to public.

Most other forums have upped their image size for uploads.

The problem with that is, once everyone uploads their images to PFA it makes the size of the database huge - especially with HD and bigger images that phones produce by default these days. Makes it a nightmare to manage the forum hosting, as well as keeping images live (you can't go through and archive the older databases or it'll break links) and it puts the price of the forum hosting up as well.

I personally spend around $9 a month with Dreamhost for my websites, email as well as using them for file/image hosting

Thanks Russ, I hear where your coming from.

I have no problem re sizing the photos before putting on Flickr and then bringing them across.  (as I used to do with photobucket, it's a five second job)   

The other alternative is do as other forums do and charge extra for members who wish to post photos up, to assist in the cost of running the forum.

(Financial Member Plus maybe?)

The forum could have photo sizes restricted in size, thus keeping large files off the forum.

I'd rather pay to our forum, than to an outside forum such as dreamhost or similar,

where the photos we put on there, (Dreamhost/Flickr/Photobucket etc etc)  are still going to end up on PFA....

and the data base for PFA is still going to be larger.

How about.....User pays.   If you want to post photos (keeping in mind it is for the PFA community not just a personal "look at me" posting)

then pay for the privilege and assist in the cost of the forum.

I have no idea if that makes sense or if it can be done..... but might be worth a look or bring up better alternatives...

If posting photos is a nightmare to manage, just say so, make it official, and we can keep them to a bare minimum.

Photos are a very big part of the PFA in my opinion and should be encouraged if possible.

The problem with that is, once everyone uploads their images to PFA it makes the size of the database huge - especially with HD and bigger images that phones produce by default these days. Makes it a nightmare to manage the forum hosting, as well as keeping images live (you can't go through and archive the older databases or it'll break links) and it puts the price of the forum hosting up as well.

I personally spend around $9 a month with Dreamhost for my websites, email as well as using them for file/image hosting

I should say I have nothing to do with the hosting/running of PFA - it's just my input from other forums I've run and my experience with large databases in my day job. 

I think it might be an idea worth considering though Niko.

PFA looks to be running on AWS which by all reports is very cost effective, however there may be a middle man who looks after the site for PFA to put it on AWS.

In the Amazon scheme of things the images that are uploaded to the forum and the viewing of those images would be trivial, however other third party arrangements might come into play.

A review of the hosting agreements might well find that uploading images to PFA directly is worthwhile. Perhaps someone in the admin group could comment?

It's not usually the storage but the bandwidth transfered that incur the costs - if 10 people view a 100Mb image then 1 Gig has been transferred. Sites like this which are mainly text based have low transfer fees, but that can blow out quickly once you start delivering images with the text. Hosts usually charge for X amount of space and XX amount of bandwidth per month, after that the fees skyrocket. I'm pretty sure that's what we're up against here - keeping XX to a minimum.

Most free/cheap forums run like this,  the content delivery and basic services are provided, but if you want to go image/video heavy then it's on the user to cover that cost.

What we're doing here is the best and most cost effective solution, it just requires the user to skill up a little bit if they want to share photos, like Niko did today.

Make sure in the image settings, you make it viewable to the public...

ok thanks, done that but I can't seem to get the Flickr ID that Niko mentions, I just get the url. I copy & paste that & I get the link displaying.... :wacko: I'm on an iPad, so I can't right click. May need to dust off ye olde laptop...

OK, on my laptop now....  trying this:

boot lid

I see car!!!  :Jumping:

• 1 month later...

Just FYI, apparently the future of Flickr is up in the air and could go the same way as photobucket. I've uploaded hundreds of images to various forums using photobucket and be stuffed if I want the same thing to happen again.

I'll be hosting my own images moving forward I think. You can find unlimited bandwidth hosts in the US for under $10 a month. I wish I wasn't so bloody lazy to begin with and did it properly from the start!

• 3 weeks later...

Photobucket fix found for Google Chrome users

Add one of these extensions (works for me):

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/embedded image fix

Good find!!!!

The threads in this forum looks sooooo much better now :) 

Worse case, I have found is a page may need a quick refresh to display the images if they do not appear on the first instance!

Thanks again for sharing ;)

• 1 month later...

Archived