Correct stereo for 1986 944 Turbo

vinnytang

I want to begin looking for the correct stereo for my locally delivered '86 952. Can anyone tell me what it could have been delivered with originally?

I hardly use the stereo anyway and the modern Kenwood unit is seriously killing my 80s vibes. 

Follow up question, does anyone have one stored away somewhere?

My research tells me is that it would have come with a Eurovox joystick model radio cassette .... MCC-2358P etc ... there were a number of different model numbers but essentially the same unit. They also came in the 3.2 Carrera .....

They were also used in HSV's of the same era as well as BMW's ..... the flaps were different and had the "Porsche" or 'HSV" or "BROCK" etc .....

They are highly sought after and command big money if working and in good condition.

....They are highly sought after and command big money if working and in good condition.

Seriously? I'd better keep mine even more safely tucked away , I thought it might be worth 100 bucks or so.

My research tells me is that it would have come with a Eurovox joystick model radio cassette .... MCC-2358P etc ... there were a number of different model numbers but essentially the same unit. They also came in the 3.2 Carrera .....

Question re joystick model. Was it a head unit alone or did it also run an amp?  If so, where was the amp located?

Someone advised me that the head unit alone will not make a sound without the required amp....

Question re joystick model. Was it a head unit alone or did it also run an amp?  If so, where was the amp located?

Someone advised me that the head unit alone will not make a sound without the required amp....

My matching amp was just hanging down behind the dash somewhere as I recall.

They didn't all use the amp .... I believe only the later model ones did .... the earlier models were the head unit only .... 

I've heard that if the car had air conditioning (which most of the Aussie ones did) the amp was mounted behind the false kick panel in the passenger side footwell ....

That's a bit ambitious on price .... they aren't worth that amount ....

The last one he sold was a lot cheaper than what he is asking for that one ...

Correct radio though for an '86 944.

Was fully reconditioned  (he's an ex eurovox technician and still repairs them) and if memory serves me correctly, it was about $1,050.

Still probably a bit rich ..... but .... where are you going to find another one.

I think the going rate is in the $600 - $900 range if they work and are in decent condition, but as time goes on and everyone keeps them in the cupboard, they will get more expensive .. ..

You've got to remember that there weren't that many Porsche's sold with them in and as soon as the technology changed, most of them would have been tossed and replaced with a CD player .....

It would have had a Blaupunkt or equivalent in Europe. Still original equipment and a much better unit. I would rather the Blaupunkt and will put one in my car one day.

Something like this

753861d1376865511-1987-porsche-944-turbo

I would rather the Blaupunkt and will put one in my car one day.

Don't leave it too long as these original units seem to be disappearing off the face as our cars become collector's concours items.

Don't leave it too long as these original units seem to be disappearing off the face as our cars become collector's concours items.

That's exactly what's happening with the Eurovox units  that were put in the Aussie cars .....

I have already looked and a CD unit one can look quite period for the day, and so far not too expensive..... added to my list.... :wacko:

That's exactly what's happening with the Eurovox units  that were put in the Aussie cars .....

The crappy Eurovox unit died in my last Benz (97) I replaced it with a NOS Blaupunkt, the difference in sound quality was amazing.... if you want it for sound, avoid the Eurovox.....

The crappy Eurovox unit died in my last Benz (97) I replaced it with a NOS Blaupunkt, the difference in sound quality was amazing.... if you want it for sound, avoid the Eurovox.....

I'm more for originality so the crappy old unit that would have come with it from new is for me ..... 

My '80 and '81 both had something different again so the hunt continues .... :)

Yes, rare but that is way overpriced....

he probably also believes that as you can't get them over the counter, why not charge copious amounts of money for them ... 

Yes, rare but that is way overpriced....

he probably also believes that as you can't get them over the counter, why not charge copious amounts of money for them ... 

This sort of thing becomes more common though as originality is prized and factored into the car's marketable value.

Original 356 and early 911 stuff (even busted stuff) is stupidly expensive, but when you lavish love on your pride and joy the non-original bits start to glare at you , if not the next owner.

Vinny - You're welcome to purchase my VDO headunit which is the same brand as the dash cluster. Granted it's a 90s CD player capable unit but it's black with a black and white display and looks reasonably period correct. It will help fund my upgrade to an Apple CarPlay unit (blasphemy I know). :P 

• 1 month later...

Found one of these (not my photo though), not joystick but with the balance knob. With the PORSCHE cassette flap, this would be correct right?

DSC_63441439191858.jpg

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but no dice .... that unit was in Holdens  .... the "joystick" model was a higher end unit than that one which is why the pictured one was in a Holden and the higher end ones were in Porsche's...

It is easy to claim it's from a Porsche because of the cassette flap, but it's also easy to change the flap from "Eurovox" to " Porsche" to "HSV" etc .....

• 6 months later...

Archived