1968 912-6 resto-mod (brisbane)

Hi, here's the story of a 1968 SWB 912 project that's slowly starting.

Car bought off gumtree just before Xmas 2016, not pretty but not hiding anything.

It was missing;

• motor,
  • gearbox,
  • axles,
  • seats,
  • front and rear bumpers,
  • front and rear lights, and
  • front guards.

needs rust repairs to front slam panel, sills and parcel shelf.

also has later engine cover, and has had carerra flares fitted at some time.

20161128_191525.jpg

after getting it home, acquired and fitted steel 1969-73 front guards (larger flare than pre-69), fiberglass S front bumper. All hold on with zip ties for dummy fit up.

fit up2.jpg

now just have to decide to build as hot rod retaining rear flares, or stock looking (requiring new front and rear guards) 

body flares 2.jpg

body narrow.jpg

Have you got a motor for it?

yes, I picked up a 2.0 flat six out & 901 5 speed with axles out of Sydney, also purchased a weber style efi set up.

3003_series_complete_tn.jpg

have most of interior now

• replacing sports steering wheel with standard steering wheel
  • replacing 912 gauges with period correct 911 gauges (thanks for the speedo Russ).
  • bought some autotechnica low back sports seats

also purchased 15x4.5 fuchs for front

now just chasing an oil tank, and then rust repair panels

working out what bits I need to get,

a crank trigger (like the clewett engineering kit for 2.0 & 2.2) and a ecu (probably haltech) to go with the TWM injection system

http://www.clewett.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_23&products_id=22

exhaust system, has anybody tried the OBX stainless headers from ebay usa?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OBX-Exhaust-Header-Fits-65-66-67-68-69-70-71-72-73-74-Porsche-911-RSR-Flat-6-/122272027811?epid=1247237362&hash=item1c77fb14a3:g:zOsAAOSwEetV~JVM

For the money it's not all that much more to get custom stuff made, and it's a heap better.

Check the exhaust thread in the aircooled section, I recently had some made. If they are of interest I can send you the fab guys details.

Looks like so many people are going for EFI conversions now. I'm yet to see one run. 

Do the porsche purists frown on it, or is it an acceptable mod? 

I saw Uncle's run (the two different cars) It has so many benefits

I'm not sure it'd sit well with the purists but that wouldn't matter to me

yes, I picked up a 2.0 flat six out & 901 5 speed with axles out of Sydney, also purchased a weber style efi set up.

3003_series_complete_tn.jpg

have most of interior now

• replacing sports steering wheel with standard steering wheel
  • replacing 912 gauges with period correct 911 gauges (thanks for the speedo Russ).
  • bought some autotechnica low back sports seats

also purchased 15x4.5 fuchs for front

now just chasing an oil tank, and then rust repair panels

Just out of curiosity, why 4.5 in Fuchs on the front?

Just out of curiosity, why 4.5 in Fuchs on the front?

I keep flip flopping between narrow body or hotrod, lately I'm leaning towards getting the correct front and back narrow guards, then having it sitting low over 15x4.5 fronts and 15x6 deep 6's fuchs on the back.

Bit of a bugger because I've also bought four new Porsche pattern fat minilites for the hotrod build, and narrow body means more bodywork.

have picked up a set of dansk replacement sills off gumtree this week, still lots of parts to source.

I keep flip flopping between narrow body or hotrod, lately I'm leaning towards getting the correct front and back narrow guards, then having it sitting low over 15x4.5 fronts and 15x6 deep 6's fuchs on the back.

Bit of a bugger because I've also bought four new Porsche pattern fat minilites for the hotrod build, and narrow body means more bodywork.

have picked up a set of dansk replacement sills off gumtree this week, still lots of parts to source.

You interested in selling the minilites then?

pics of the minilites? could find them a new home.. ;)

edit: beaten by hugh haha

• 2 weeks later...

Was this in campbelltoen by chance 

got it off Geoff in Camden :-)

You interested in selling the minilites then?

yep, I will be having a garage sale once the car is running, selling off whichever wheels I don't use, panels (fiberglass long hood, 73 rs front and rear bumpers), sports steering wheel, 912 gauges, etc

Second light blue car you posted is stunning. 

agree, at the moment that's the plan

Archived