Next generation Porsche Macan will be full EV only.

edgy

This is a worry too... https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/emissions-surcharge
10 GBP a day if your car is older than 2006 if driven in London on top of the Congestion charge - hope it does not catch on elsewhere....

Those poor rich/retired buggers trying to escape from their mews to the B roads in their classics between Mondays & Fridays.
Yes , it could happen in the bigger Australian cities. Australia is just 5- 10 years behind the ROW in most new trends.

I was reading this article about Porsche Mission E ...........as we know one of the major issues with going EV is the slow charge time well Porsche claim they can charge a car to 80 percent capacity in 15 minutes and they have a faster charge currently in development ,,,,,,,,interesting stuff ,,even if you don,t like the idea of electric cars ...

https://rennlist.com/articles/porsche-prepares-future-installs-electric-car-chargers/?utm_source=jan16&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=content

No ICE cars in Britain by 2040. That's our lifetimes dudes. So I'd expect a gradual move towards EVs, with an acceleration of adoption towards the later end of the adoption period. The current issues which are well documented and no doubt correct (ish) will get resolved when ICE vehicles are banned or there is more money to be made in selling EVs. Humans are highly adaptable and self serving. We've just got to hope the legislators are truely working to a common good. Which over a long period of time and with real and dire (ish) consequences you'd realistically hope for.

Hear Ye Hear Ye.

My understanding is that ICE only vehicles will be banned from sale in the UK by 2040. ICE in conjuction with electric (Hybrid) will still be acceptable and not banned from sale. 

But of course this has been spun by the totalitarians.

Edited by Redracn

• 1 year later...
14 minutes ago, Simonk said:

Journalists are using the words "exclusively and pure electric" to imply there won't be a petrol/diesel version released alongside? Surely Porsche aren't that stupid to ditch the combustion engine on their most popular model?

Yeah too much hyperbole by the journos, but in a couple of official Porsche Media posts on social, they have confirmed 100% electric for the next generation (see screenshot above) 

I call BS! I bet they're really saying "The next Macan generation will offer 100% electric" but they're spinning it for shock value.  There's no infrastructure for these cars in place in most countries, the Macan isn't an experiment like the Taycan and sells in large numbers. They're not going to ditch the massive customer base they currently have just to advance technology. 

I think there is validity in what you're saying... this kinda of reminds me of Alan Peace' "talk Language" book, and the "emphasis on words" :lol:

I agree that we don't see the charging infrastructure, and whether or not the new PPE platform packages into the next gen Macan monocoque, AS WELL as the current MLB platform... remains to be seen. 

Me, I do a ton of long haul in our Mac TT... whilst the economy/range sucks when you tow, I stop for 5 mins halfway to Melbourne fill it up, splash the boots, grab a San Pellegrino :LOL: and off you go again.. if that had to be a circa 30 minute stop to charge a battery, that is a big deal breaker, but I really think I am in a small % of Macan owners who use it as a work truck... for most owners, they probably have their demographic & formula right for an all electric variant. 

4 minutes ago, edgy said:

I think there is validity in what you're saying... this kinda of reminds me of Alan Peace' "talk Language" book, and the "emphasis on words" :lol:

I agree that we don't see the charging infrastructure, and whether or not the new PPE platform packages into the next gen Macan monocoque, AS WELL as the current MLB platform... remains to be seen. 

Me, I do a ton of long haul in our Mac TT... whilst the economy/range sucks when you tow, I stop for 5 mins halfway to Melbourne fill it up, splash the boots, grab a San Pellegrino :LOL: and off you go again.. if that had to be a circa 30 minute stop to charge a battery, that is a big deal breaker, but I really think I am in a small % of Macan owners who use it as a work truck... for most owners, they probably have their demographic & formula right for an all electric variant. 

What about those that live in apartments, single fronted houses, or many town houses that don't have off street parking? Even those that have a driveway but not a garage probably aren't running extension cords out their front doors. That's a pretty big chunk of potential buyers gone. Until the technology is good enough to recharge quickly and not at your home, it's not practical for a lot of people. Even a 10 minute charge is too long. Imagine the queues at petrol stations if it took everyone 10 minutes to fill the car up with petrol.

7 minutes ago, Simonk said:

What about those that live in apartments, single fronted houses, or many town houses that don't have off street parking? Even those that have a driveway but not a garage probably aren't running extension cords out their front doors. That's a pretty big chunk of potential buyers gone. Until the technology is good enough to recharge quickly and not at your home, it's not practical for a lot of people. Even a 10 minute charge is too long. Imagine the queues at petrol stations if it took everyone 10 minutes to fill the car up with petrol.

Ah, screw them... the first photo I look at on Realestate.com is the garage, not my fault they have their priorities wrong! ;) 

Right on, @Simonk... this is a big Achilles heel of electric cars. They will never work long term I feel, unless they can zap a battery in 60secs from flat to full - there’s a few top gear shows highlighting this very point. 

Not to mention weight, replacement costs and the rare minerals  & manuf cost issues (where’s the greenies on this front?)

Not sure why they all keep developing this stupid technology. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/life/weekend-australian-magazine/porsche-macan-s/news-story/8762a34f36c3a0738729915a4638d1e7

Yet the Macan is, by far, Porsche’s best-selling vehicle and offering it solely with batteries would rule it out for swathes of buyers, including many – if not most – in Australia. So within hours of the announcement there was another one about internal combustion: the current Macan will continue to be built alongside the new battery version. “We will remain flexible for a transitional period because the world’s regions will develop very differently with respect to electromobility,” says Porsche.

I'll bet it can't catch Mr Bond in the next film. Car chases are going to become silent affairs dominated by loud music and special effects. yay.
https://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/motoring-news/james-bonds-next-ride-will-be-all-electric/news-story/f7ddd317e90340d6bff32bffc4938d45