WTB MK1 996 GT3 CS

micknine01

I find the  history of the pricing on these cars and what they’ve done over the years very interesting. I learnt yesterday that the guy who bought mine new in  ‘05 really wanted a MK1 at the time but couldn’t stomach paying 165 for what was then a 6 year old car. So, it depreciated only 25% in six years.  Compare that to a 991.2 some of which have already traded at 25% less than new pricing within 3 years of their release. Yet, out of all the GT3s, none have had the arse end fall out of them like 996s did in the mid 2010s, where it wasn’t unusual for them to change hands at merely 30-40% of their new prices. Even the bastard child 991.1 which is approaching 10 years of age hasn’t come close to those depths of depreciation and probably never will. And now, it appears fried eggs are selling before they even get to market, yet the seemingly ever more popular 997.1s aren’t selling at all. Go figure. The 996 GT3 has certainly had a very interesting roller coaster ride over the years as far as values go. 

Not knowing anything about GT's or driven one, why is the 996 GT3 all of a sudden so 'popular', that it seems owners could almost ask whatever they want for them (within reason), and have people lining up wanting to buy? 

Are they that good as a drivers car, pricing, or just buyers jumping on the popularity bandwagon? 

10 hours ago, hugh said:

On it. See point below. 

You have to be kidding me, that’s COVID 2020 pricing. 2021 has seen at least a 100-200k jump above that range. Maybe more. Vaccine. Jobs. Growth. It all plays a part. Don’t settle for less Kurt! 

At least. 

6 hours ago, LeeM said:

Not knowing anything about GT's or driven one, why is the 996 GT3 all of a sudden so 'popular', that it seems owners could almost ask whatever they want for them (within reason), and have people lining up wanting to buy? 

Are they that good as a drivers car, pricing, or just buyers jumping on the popularity bandwagon? 

All of the above Lee.

They are a brilliant car.  So why did I sell mine?  Because I had something else I wanted to focus on. The RSR ... 

I always considered them underpriced in the context of what other GT’s were doing.

I also think January 9 2021 and the period leading up woke the market from its reverie ...😇

My 2 cents worth- they are very similar in feel to the air cooled cars to drive at pace. You get the full analog experience with no nanny computers to protect you.

i have been surprised they they have been so cheap for so long. I still don’t think they’re expensive even now as a value proposition. I used to say that about the air cooled cars. It made no sense to me that you could sell your 964 and hop into a 996 GT3 for the same $

i didn’t buy mine to flip, I have no plane to sell until I can’t get in or out of it.

They are a brilliant and rewarding drivers car in my opinion 

6 hours ago, LeeM said:

Think of a 996 as the 901 of the modern era. A lot of people visualise a long hood as the “classic 911”, to me, the 996GT3 is the modern day equivalent. The naughties are not quite yet “retro” but it won’t be long as we have already seen significant growth in 80’s & 90’s cars. The 996 GT3 was the start of something very special and if you are a bit nerdy there is a lot to like and geek out on - they are a great drive and also pretty rare when compared to later model cars so no doubt people are also hedging their bets. 

I agree with all of the above. I personally love the 996 for all of those reasons and another big one for me is that the 996 GT3 is more closely related to the cup car than any other generation. That probably says more about the 996 cup than anything else (later cup cars are perhaps  more bonafide race cars), but I’m a boy racer at heart and to me it’s cool that you can drive what is in essence very similar to a factory built race car on the road.

@Skidmarks @Jason A @hugh

Thanks gents,  that all makes perfect sense to me, as that's how I feel about the non GT 996's to drive. They still have that air cooled 'feel' to them.

Theres nothing better than seeing these cars driven hard with 'patina' instead of being garage queen investments 👍

I'll add you here @spiller as I've seen you drive your old GT3 and cup car 😁

8 hours ago, LeeM said:

Yes, they are THAT GOOD! As a drivers car... I think there is the latter coming into effect too, people priced out of the AC market and lets face it, as it was mentioned... it made zero sense that for a period of time you could get out of a SC through to 964 and into a 996 GT3 for the same or similar money... 

The 997 is the next one to watch... I've said it before and I will say it again for the punters, if you have thought about it and can buy one now, do it! 

2 hours ago, edgy said:

Yes, they are THAT GOOD! As a drivers car... I think there is the latter coming into effect too, people priced out of the AC market and lets face it, as it was mentioned... it made zero sense that for a period of time you could get out of a SC through to 964 and into a 996 GT3 for the same or similar money... 

The 997 is the next one to watch... I've said it before and I will say it again for the punters, if you have thought about it and can buy one now, do it! 

What's a 997 

Not quite in the same league, but before I bought my 996 C4S, I test drove a 997 C4S. It didn’t stir the emotions nearly as much as the 996. It was obviously a very capable car, but the heart wasn’t in it.

Ended up with the 996 version ... no regrets here! 

14 hours ago, Jason A said:

My 2 cents worth- they are very similar in feel to the air cooled cars to drive at pace. You get the full analog experience with no nanny computers to protect you.

i have been surprised they they have been so cheap for so long. I still don’t think they’re expensive even now as a value proposition. I used to say that about the air cooled cars. It made no sense to me that you could sell your 964 and hop into a 996 GT3 for the same $

i didn’t buy mine to flip, I have no plane to sell until I can’t get in or out of it.

They are a brilliant and rewarding drivers car in my opinion 

Was only lamenting over that silver car today, one that got away from me that I wasn’t ready for, and now that I am, well just glad it went to a good home....

On 08/03/2021 at 08:34, LeeM said:

@Skidmarks @Jason A @hugh

Thanks gents,  that all makes perfect sense to me, as that's how I feel about the non GT 996's to drive. They still have that air cooled 'feel' to them.

Theres nothing better than seeing these cars driven hard with 'patina' instead of being garage queen investments 👍

I'll add you here @spiller as I've seen you drive your old GT3 and cup car 😁

Just about to turn over 126,000 kms on the way back to Tassie after Luftwasser, so my car is no garage queen.  Had a ball with this car, Barnawatha TAFE track is fantastic, loved the way the car just kept on holding on around the 270o corner, great track / road hybrid rubber helps 🙂  Had a ride in the passenger seat of a 991GT3RS on the way back from one of our runs, while the girls took our GT3.  Made me realise the 996 GT3 is really all I actually aspire to, not sure if I could safely handle anything more powerful:-)

Good tourer, but will be happy when I replace the clutch as it is sooo heavy at the moment.......  Perhaps that exhaust will have to wait until next year......

• 3 weeks later...

Finally arrived and I am super happy. KW suspension, short ratio gears, solid engine mounts and Caragraphic exhaust make it the perfect GT3 for me, plus it’s the best colour. I’m glad I had the opportunity to own a MK2 before this one, it makes the quirky ness of the MK1 really stand out. 
This one won’t be no garage queen! 

E7048491-DE5B-4D8B-BB95-19C910097D8D.jpeg

1685434E-4BD7-4364-8CBF-A7A0C33E958E.jpeg

F7B0537E-2C5F-4CDC-8509-0B70ED4AC71F.jpeg

3F7F6FC1-9E1F-4743-9FEE-19F770723536.jpeg

DF92A1D2-43C2-4E1C-8149-502B0570CCE5.jpeg