GT3....or ???? instead? GT4 it is.

I did get up it along the freeway but granted only a short squirt 2nd, 3rd gear.  I'm sure they are great, I'd be foolish to suggest otherwise given rave reviews but just didn't have the poke I expected.  Maybe rob had the handbrake half on ?

I was more focussed on the agony of sitting on a angle with my arse half wedged into the seat.  Felt like my pelvis was 50mm wider than the carbon shell of the seat.  

I put Boxster seats in mine, as the carbon buckets are for skinny arsed midgets

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bravo sir! Wish more people would think like that

Re: " I want $50k hard and fast and if it gets thrashed and trashed and is worth $20k when I'm done so whatnd your comment "Bravo sir! Wish more people would think like that"

Two days ago, I posted in a 996 thread my complete alignment with respect to DJM's thinking "Its OK, it's a Porsche forum, I fully expect to be howled down for suggesting such blasphemy.?  But I've owned a few contrarian cars over the years - I'm about the seat of the pants enjoyment, not appearances or status.  

So I write I am not aligned with a post intimating that the 996 c2 is the be all and end all with 50k in your pocket.  Better value elsewhere particularly if your into hard and fast as I saw it.  Not seeing a lot of P cars at $50k that I would put in the fast category, ( lets take DJM's referencing of gt3 and 415hp terrority as fitting the bill as fast).  So as you know, I was indeed in that situation very recently of having 50k in the pocked after offloading a car with more than 415hp ( was faster than a stock 996 turbo which I also was a bit disillusioned with in the fast department as well.  Brought a stock m3 sedan  (ok, its not fast (414hp from factory brochure), but got some bits to make it a bit  faster to my liking (tune, dct tune, half exhaust replacement with the key being pissing off factory cats)  should get me to 416hp (me thinks more like 25hp extra with the mods so probably in the fast category) and can show you full audit trail of purchase price plus go faster bits is less than 50k.

The e90  m3 apparently (looking forward to driving it more than P car but that may change after my first drive ) doesn't give you much in the fast department unless your at over 6000 rpm's (reckon that constitutes driving hard).  Not planning on selling it for a very time, but reckon if I did, 20k (I have cuurent form) would be about right then if I changed my mind

Me thinks, fits the brief very nicely of  " I want $50k hard and fast and if it gets thrashed and trashed and is worth $20k when I'm done so what. 

As I recall, you were hot the keys to type in response to my post

1) "I'm sure they're great cars. They ain't a Porsche though "

2) "It's like going on a Holden forum, then buying a Ford coz it's cheaper ???

Shit, I could sell my SC import and buy a 2 or 3 cars that would run rings around an old 911, and still have enough to buy a 944 "

So having a hard time reconciling your posts in the last two days to this one today.  Please enlighten me on what road registered  Porsche you can buy  for 50k that is fast (415hp is just a nominal  number that I think irrespective of weight in a non boosted car as having the potential to be considered fast for a road car) and can be driven hard that has the chassis, suspension and brakes that match the hp output that makes it an overall good seat of your pant driving package and hasn't been too messed with.  

Did you bump you head in the last two days and fall out of love with P cars?  Reckon there is massive gap between your thinking and what you put into print and / or what you consider is fast.  LOL

^^ nah it's like the European supermodel farted in my bed - reality didn't live up to the hype and I'm moving on to a Japanese girl next door type that caught my eye, is just as "fast" but not as glamorous

i am actually struggling to see $190k of value in GT3s to be honest.  Perhaps has more to do with the way I own and drive cars, $200k cars are just not a sensible investment for me.  

I want $50k hard and fast and if it gets thrashed and trashed and is worth $20k when I'm done so what.  

I've mentioned it previously and will mention it again, based on your comments above,  don't dismiss the European girl with a unique rear end thats not as glamourous but does go faster than both girls mentioned and reckon would get the pulse racing more on any short squirt.  Yes a bit front heavy, but you after a second track car or something that always surprises in any environment and won't disappoint.  Reckon you need to organize a Sunday tyre kicking session in Sydney based on the following agenda.

1) See if  1q2w3e4r can give you a lift from the airport  who diagnosed your boot addict addition to the where the car below is being garaged

2) Take the car for a spin, I reckon you wont be disappointed and could offer 50k on the spot, but do ask for a drive of the owners GTR which may be parked close by if you do (worst thing is says no)

3) See if 1q2w3e4r can drop you off at the airport, after going the long way (eg via one of his track sessions in his 996 turbo - ideally do back to back - daily street and track comparison and he  can do a actual diagnosis on your boost addition rather than a virtual one and report back to us )

Would of potentially experienced behind the wheel circa1900 hp in those three cars and be interested to your comments on the poke of all three cars  driving them back to back and whether you are still NA focused.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=SSE-AD-4266397&Cr=15

So having a hard time reconciling your posts in the last two days to this one today.  Please enlighten me on what road registered  Porsche you can buy  for 50k that is fast (415hp is just a nominal  number that I think irrespective of weight in a non boosted car as having the potential to be considered fast for a road car) and can be driven hard that has the chassis, suspension and brakes that match the hp output that makes it an overall good seat of your pant driving package and hasn't been too messed with.  

I don't see it as being a case of anyone disagreeing with you. It's more a case of you stating the obvious in that there are cheaper cars out there that have more HP etc. as if its a best kept secret. We all know there are plenty of cheaper "bank for buck" cars out there, most of us however still choose to own a Porsche. My daily is an Abarth 500, my wife has a MG, my brother is a Jap car enthusiast.............all alternatives depending on what your after. 

You want a cheap fast car go and buy  WRX, EVO whatever - its a cheap fast car. Porsche's (on the whole) aren't cheap fast cars - no disagreement there, just the reality that most of us on here are already well aware of.

In Doug's case a Porsche might not be the best option given his specific requirements. Some people on the other hand have owning a Porsche as a priority despite their HP being trumped by a Skyline. Why do you have a Porsche? Each to their own but don't mistake people making a point as necessarily disagreeing with you - some of us just like Porsche despite their respective costs and that's ok too. :)

Did you bump you head in the last two days and fall out of love with P cars?  Reckon there is massive gap between your thinking and what you put into print and / or what you consider is fast.  LOL

'Bravo sir'  was in reference to anyone thinking of the value of their car before actually driving it. I'm pretty sure there are a helluva lot of people on here who only drive their cars on sunny days. I'm not one of them

To keep the peace, I normally prefer to just say nice things to members who want to buy a car other than a Porsche, yet  in all honesty, I really don't care for ANY other car than a Porsche. I don't give a toss whether you 'brought' a car for $20k or $200k, if it isn't a Porsche, I'm not interested in the slightest. This is a PORSCHE FORUM, and in my self confessed arrogant opinion, I hate reading about any other brand of car on here, especially Jap cars, Mercedes and BMW's, yet if a member, including you, wants to buy some other brand for much less money for the same thrill of driving, go for your life and enjoy it, yet don't expect me to sit here and say 'Oh cool, you bought a BMW', as I think less than good things about them, same as any other marque that doesn't start with P and end with ORSCHE. If people want to rave about another brand of car, and not own a Porsche, go join a forum where you will be deemed a god for adding a titanium blow off valve and some over the top cheap Jap knock off rims with stretched tyres. Sure, you CAN buy a Jap car that will flog my SC in a straight line, and probably through the corners, and is much cheaper to fix/modify, yet it's still just a Jap car that any idiot can drive fast, but it's not a 911......in my opinion

As you posted here my reply to your thread 'I'm sure they're great cars, but they're not a Porsche' is what I say to anyone about any car other than a Porsche. I also stand by what I replied in that if I had to sell my 911, I WOULD buy some sort of cheap heap of shit that probably has more power and handle better to get my speed fix, yet I'd still own a Porsche of some sort (924 or 944). I have friends with Ferrari's that would kick my cars arse, and they're better drivers than I am, yet their cars mean nothing to me and they know it. Same as people I've spoken to with Lambo's and Mclarens. Sure, they're nice cars I s'pose, but they're boring......in my opinion. I'll even say here that I think the latest Porsche's are a bit boring, yet I'd still buy one over any other car if I won lotto

@DJM  What about the Fitzgerald 944 Turbo?

It's a Porsche.  It's got to be pretty fast yeah?

They're asking $60K, you might get it for $50K...

Get some club plates on it.  SMT & Track day weapon.

Hot  looking car and if you could get club plates on it, it would be awesome.  But nowadays you need RWC to get club plates.  I reckon that would be a struggle, it'd be like RWC on a cup carhttp://www.my105.com/mobi/ListingDetails/p/1/k/944/id/18833

spoke to RX7 guy today:

- personally imported by a well heeled China based Aussie Google exec

- sent to Promaz $90k conversion! no expense spared ?

- makes 660 rwhp on 16 psi......gulp, my GT2 had 480 ?.  

50% more power! slightly lighter than GT2 = death machine on the road.  And while I'd love a 20B, isn't it just way too clean and original to turn into a track pig?

A smarter option might a clean Spirit R for $40k. Keep my track car which has a new engine currently being built and is already fast enough, often faster car of club days.  Think of the bucket of P shit you get for $40k - it's about the cost of a Mezger rebuild vs this:

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Mazda-RX-7-2002/SSE-AD-4883614

cp4974532421435054229.jpg?aspect=FitWith

anyway, I've stirred up some opinions and I'll probably change mine tomorrow.  Watch this space.

I should add that the above isn't having a crack at you personally (though I understand it might be taken that way), yet I'm  just a passionate Porsche bloke that just got very lucky with being in the position to be able to buy a 911 that I have dreamt of owning for 40 years. In all honesty, I really shouldn't own my SC,, sell it and buy some other cars, as I can't afford to fix it if I have a major problem, yet for the experience of owning a Porsche 911, it's worth the risk I reckon

This is a PORSCHE FORUM, and in my self confessed arrogant opinion, I hate reading about any other brand of car on here, especially Jap cars, Mercedes and BMW's, 

You do realise this thread is in "Not Porsche, Everything else" don't you.  You might get less annoyed if you ignore posts in that section of the forum. ......just sayin 

Also, people might have my drivers a bit wrong.  I sold the gt2 because it was too much car for the road and it was too valuable to track.  So it got little use.  My brief encounter with a GT3 this week probably got me thinking I'd landed back in the same pocket - rev the tits off it to enjoy it = travelling very quickly.  Is again too much car for the road.  And it's still $200k so I wouldn't want to track it and it would be considerably slower than my $20k Mazda on track.  So what's the point.  When would I really exercise the thing.

I do like fast cars but I'm not keen to be an idiot on road.  I bought a track car to get very fast thrills safely.  For the weekender, I want nimble, RWD, accessible performance, looks good.  And to be able to ENJOY a car and not stress about its resale value, sub $100k helps, sub $50k even better.  So while that 20B monster is tempting, it would only work as a track car and I already have one of those.  A standard car is better to fulfil my brief.

I'd had a few reds when I typed that out. No offence intended to anyone

There seems to be threads that have no Porsche content which are more popular than those that do, so without taking this off topic any further, I'll agree, and just ignore the ones that don't interest me. Enjoy whatever you buy, and drivev the wheels off it ?

'Bravo sir'  was in reference to anyone thinking of the value of their car before actually driving it. I'm pretty sure there are a helluva lot of people on here who only drive their cars on sunny days. I'm not one of them

To keep the peace, I normally prefer to just say nice things to members who want to buy a car other than a Porsche, yet  in all honesty, I really don't care for ANY other car than a Porsche. I don't give a toss whether you 'brought' a car for $20k or $200k, if it isn't a Porsche, I'm not interested in the slightest. This is a PORSCHE FORUM, and in my self confessed arrogant opinion, I hate reading about any other brand of car on here, especially Jap cars, Mercedes and BMW's, yet if a member, including you, wants to buy some other brand for much less money for the same thrill of driving, go for your life and enjoy it, yet don't expect me to sit here and say 'Oh cool, you bought a BMW', as I think less than good things about them, same as any other marque that doesn't start with P and end with ORSCHE. If people want to rave about another brand of car, and not own a Porsche, go join a forum where you will be deemed a god for adding a titanium blow off valve and some over the top cheap Jap knock off rims with stretched tyres. Sure, you CAN buy a Jap car that will flog my SC in a straight line, and probably through the corners, and is much cheaper to fix/modify, yet it's still just a Jap car that any idiot can drive fast, but it's not a 911......in my opinion

As you posted here my reply to your thread 'I'm sure they're great cars, but they're not a Porsche' is what I say to anyone about any car other than a Porsche. I also stand by what I replied in that if I had to sell my 911, I WOULD buy some sort of cheap heap of shit that probably has more power and handle better to get my speed fix, yet I'd still own a Porsche of some sort (924 or 944). I have friends with Ferrari's that would kick my cars arse, and they're better drivers than I am, yet their cars mean nothing to me and they know it. Same as people I've spoken to with Lambo's and Mclarens. Sure, they're nice cars I s'pose, but they're boring......in my opinion. I'll even say here that I think the latest Porsche's are a bit boring, yet I'd still buy one over any other car if I won lotto

lol if i wanted to watch people auto-fellate a single make into oblivion i would go join the FT86 forums again

a porsche is a porsche but still just a car with flaws, same as any other. they are my favourite, but i'll always be looking into alternatives, as many others do, and comparing the alternatives to the porsche option. And it's far easier to ask that comparison on a porsche forum.

Crap I really want that black RX7 - must eliminate thoughts from head..must eliminate thoughts from head...

Back in the days of film prints there was a photo of myself and some others bowing down and worshipping a brand new RX7 on the stand at a motor show.  Done for laughs at the time - but to us then it was the ultimate car you could buy for performance & appeal.

You do realise this thread is in "Not Porsche, Everything else" don't you.  You might get less annoyed if you ignore posts in that section of the forum. ......just sayin 

Also, people might have my drivers a bit wrong.  I sold the gt2 because it was too much car for the road and it was too valuable to track.  So it got little use.  My brief encounter with a GT3 this week probably got me thinking I'd landed back in the same pocket - rev the tits off it to enjoy it = travelling very quickly.  Is again too much car for the road.  And it's still $200k so I wouldn't want to track it and it would be considerably slower than my $20k Mazda on track.  So what's the point.  When would I really exercise the thing.

I do like fast cars but I'm not keen to be an idiot on road.  I bought a track car to get very fast thrills safely.  For the weekender, I want nimble, RWD, accessible performance, looks good.  And to be able to ENJOY a car and not stress about its resale value, sub $100k helps, sub $50k even better.  So while that 20B monster is tempting, it would only work as a track car and I already have one of those.  A standard car is better to fulfil my brief.

E30 M3.  Maybe go the import route and you'd be into one for ~60-65k as the local prices are ridiculously high (90k for a good one).  Or an E30 with an S54B32 and 6 speed out of the e46 M3 in it, 350hp, 1200 kg.  Good times :)   I'm seriously considering doing this in future, probably with an E30 M as it'll still be worth something converted back to stock at the end of the day. 

E30 M3.  Maybe go the import route and you'd be into one for ~60-65k as the local prices are ridiculously high (90k for a good one).  Or an E30 with an S54B32 and 6 speed out of the e46 M3 in it, 350hp, 1200 kg.  Good times :)   I'm seriously considering doing this in future, probably with an E30 M as it'll still be worth something converted back to stock at the end of the day. 

saw this recently on Bring a trailer.  Very cool, older generation version of what you are suggesting.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-bmw-m2-1600-2-with-s14-m3-engine/

saw this recently on Bring a trailer.  Very cool, older generation version of what you are suggesting.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-bmw-m2-1600-2-with-s14-m3-engine/

Well now... a beams 3sgte fits very well in a 2002, 220 horsepower with throttle bodies, and way cheaper than sourcing an s14. And it comes with a slick six speed, not a five speed ;)

Well now... a beams 3sgte fits very well in a 2002, 220 horsepower with throttle bodies, and way cheaper than sourcing an s14. And it comes with a slick six speed, not a five speed ;)

...but it is not as cool :cool07:

Ariel with 600 rwhp for $170k, now I've seen it all!

And that Exige doesn't have enough black stickers and glued on carbon bits for my liking....?

Ford Focus RS Mk1  Future classic  - blows Exige but they are nice ..

Atom .. mind bending .. my bro in law had a little bingle in his .. from behind on the road .. open wheeler reality.. for him , he said wish I had just a little metal around me me as I was shoved up the bank and off the road.  I think its like why we drive cars instead of a motorbike at the track 

Having owned 2 FD RX7's now (one in Japan and one here in Aus) and always regretting the sale... I'd happily buy another (I'm actually looking).

That said, the difference between a Spirit R and the "normal" FD is so small that the price difference just isn't justified. Just buy a normal one and add the bits you want.

The way they drive is intoxicating, I can only really compare them with full blown track cars that I have driven and most recently a 650S which reminded me a little of the way they handle.

Awesome cars.

Archived