curse of the 15" wheel

brian in buddina

Don't forget Steve , the 1986 944 was the last 944 in the series to have the more dished wheels ( ET 23.5mm ) where as the standard wheels on a 944 from 1987 was( ET 55mm) , so wheels that are ET55 will not fit on a 944 1982-1986 inclusive ( because you can not run wheel spacers on the front axle ) 

If you want to go 16" dia and keep the original "Look" , then the reasonably rare 1986( only ) 951 16"  telephone style wheels are a direct fit 

Regards
Bruce B

• 2 weeks later...

I have found a set of the 1986 944 turbo telephone dial wheels that Bruce mentioned above which will open up more tyre options. Just waiting on pictures to see if they need a refurbishment or can just go on the car straight away with some new tyres.

I have 2 questions:

1) I have found that a 944 turbo has recommended tyre sizes for the front (205 / 55 / 16) and rear (225 / 50 / 16). This may be a stupid question but if I am putting the turbo wheels on my non-turbo should I do the same or just put the same size 205 / 55 / 16 tyres all around like it is now? Is this just a personal preference?

2) If they do need refurbishing does anyone have recommendations for wheel refurbishments in Sydney? I thought I heard someone at the German Day last weekend mention Precision Wheels on the Central Coast for this type of thing. The wheels are on the Central Coast so this would work but are open to recommendations.

Thanks in advance for your feedback and suggestions.

Steve

Steve,

Didn't intend to sound like a smartarse, just didn't want you trying to buy a tyre size that pretty much doesn't exist!

By changing to these '86 Turbo wheels you will have 7 inch wide fronts and 8 inch rears.  You could conceivably run either 215's or 225's all round but I would just use what Porsche recommend with 205's and 225's front and rear respectively.

205/55 x 16 and 225/50 x 16 are both readily available sizes and I would recommend RE003 Potenzas.  I note there is a 4 for the price of 3 sale on at the moment but are keenly priced normally.

You can purchase Bridgestone Potenza 225/50R15 and 205/50R15 though they are hard to find- I know someone who has a set that has only travelled 250kms who is selling them due to a change- happy to our you in touch if interested.

I bought Falken 914s for my 7 & 8" Fuchs-  haven't driven on them yet though.

Cheers

Craig

I ran 215's on my 86 944 and they were Falken's which were horrible in the wet and squealed like a banshee in the dry, never again, knowing what i lnow now i would pay the extra for a much sportier tyre.

1 hour ago, Peter M said:

Steve,

Didn't intend to sound like a smartarse, just didn't want you trying to buy a tyre size that pretty much doesn't exist!

By changing to these '86 Turbo wheels you will have 7 inch wide fronts and 8 inch rears.  You could conceivably run either 215's or 225's all round but I would just use what Porsche recommend with 205's and 225's front and rear respectively.

205/55 x 16 and 225/50 x 16 are both readily available sizes and I would recommend RE003 Potenzas.  I note there is a 4 for the price of 3 sale on at the moment but are keenly priced normally.

Hey Peter,

No offence taken at all mate. I appreciate you pointing it out. I shouldn’t post a thread after a busy day at work!,

Thanks for the feedback on sizes. I have been looking at the Potenzas based on this thread and they do seem to be good value.

48 minutes ago, crsedge said:

You can purchase Bridgestone Potenza 225/50R15 and 205/50R15 though they are hard to find- I know someone who has a set that has only travelled 250kms who is selling them due to a change- happy to our you in touch if interested.

I bought Falken 914s for my 7 & 8" Fuchs-  haven't driven on them yet though.

Cheers

Craig

Thanks Craig for the kind offer. Much appreciated. If I can secure the turbo wheels I think I will go the 16”wheels but if they don’t come through I’ll shoot you a message.

Cheers

Steve

Archived