The Impostor - 3.0L Rebuild

NaFe

25 minutes ago, Mike D'Silva said:

What is that hub extension you are referring to.. do you mean the air deflector moulded out of plastic with the 2 metal blades?

Yes that's it. It's called a hub extension on the parts drawing.

Is this where you say you have one.....please please please

1 hour ago, NaFe said:

Yes that's it. It's called a hub extension on the parts drawing.

Is this where you say you have one.....please please please

ah sorry, no.. but how bad is yours? I had to re-rivet mine. You could always strengthen with some fibreglass patches?

Once it's done, no one will see it.. 

I've managed to source a replacement a 2nd hand one after being told by Autohaus Hamilton they are a NLA new.

It's off a 3.2L but I've been told that it should fit.  Even if it needs a little modifying, it'll be better than what I have.  Hopefully should arrive around Wednesday next week.

In the meantime, I'll dust off the injection system and I have to fit a pop-off valve to the airbox and replace the airbox to manifold connectors

1 hour ago, Mike D'Silva said:

If you need things like injector seals, intake boots etc, let me know. Pretty sure I bought a whole stash and didn't use due to going efi.

Thanks Mike, I'll let you know.  Maybe the injector inserts and out insert seals for the 3.0SC manifold if you have them, but think I've got new CIS injector seals

28 minutes ago, Zelrik911 said:

Looks like Pelican Parts has one new OEM left in stock for $USD145

Cooling Fan Housing Extension
Part #: 911-106-055-01-OEM

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/91110605501.htm?pn=911-106-055-01-OEM

Thanks Zelrik, Looks like this is for the 3.2L engine.  I believe there is a slight difference, but it should fit - at lease with a little mod...  I was searching with my 81SC model in pelican parts search function so showed no result

2 hours ago, NaFe said:

Thanks Mike, I'll let you know.  Maybe the injector inserts and out insert seals for the 3.0SC manifold if you have them, but think I've got new CIS injector seals

Thanks Zelrik, Looks like this is for the 3.2L engine.  I believe there is a slight difference, but it should fit - at lease with a little mod...  I was searching with my 81SC model in pelican parts search function so showed no result

Ha Ha - it looks like this part is commonly known in the spare-parts cognoscenti as the "Viking Helmet"  - so no wonder you were coming up blank on a search using boring old English. There's a few of them on eBay.

My viking hat/syndey opera house/alternator hub extension arrived and promptly fitted. I also fitted a pop-off valve, new manifold injector inserts and before I knew it, the injeection system was back on the engine

20190409_195019_zpstg2az6mp.jpg

20190410_195151_zpst2en1eqk.jpg

20190410_215009_zpspmxf8kan.jpg

Feeling positive i know where the electrickery wires go too.

20190411_193525_zpsq3uhsjkv.jpg

its funny, with the injection system back on, it really looks like it will never fit back in kombi haha

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/04/2019 at 15:40, Coastr said:

What gearbox is the kombi running?  Forgive me if you already said earlier in the thread.

I rebuilt my original kombi box with a taller 3rd and 4th gear to try and span out the RPM, but havent done the best job.  Especially now I its come over from the UK where the general spped limit has gone from 70mph (110kph)  to 100kph.

In reality its the other end that needs attention - i.e. 1st and 2nd gear.

If I go hard off the line, there isnt much to the first gear haha.

• 3 weeks later...

And that's the "4 bolts" people talk about
20190428_174559_zpsiwiozdly.jpg

I'd almost forgot how much of a pig this was to get all lined up, with very little space lol.

Major update yesterday...I finished connecting all cables and hoses Saturday and bled the fuel system before my mate came over to hold the fire extinguisher:

I cranked it over a few times to ensure I had oil pressure.  Then after a few cranks, the engine fired up! I was so relieved - I was very nervous that I may have done something wrong along the way.

I did have an air leak coming from the intake plenum boot between the metering unit and the throttle body which is partially down to one of my take offs being so close to the firewall. So I will need to relocate that takeoff for a better fit and to ensure I get rid of that un-metered air before I start tuning:

14 minutes ago, Mike D'Silva said:

Sounds fantastic :)

what muffler is that?

I have a bit of a muffler fetish at the moment.

Thanks Mike. I have seen you are collecting mufflers :)

The exhaust system is a full custom job from a joint in the UK. Place called JanSpeed if I remember correctly