Are Wide Body Weekend Blasters/Hotrod 911s worth anything when being sold?

I'm with Monkey Boy, Jeff and Neill. Modify or die!

Also if your car is about the money then you're doing your day job wrong. Or get a cheaper car. Nissans are awesome to modify and drive and a lot less $$$. Or get a beater 911 a invest sweat equity.

Unless you've got no brain, a heap of money, are a psychopath (Monkeyboy), or bought your car pre boom, or all of the above then you're not going to chop up a valuable car. You'll set it aside or sell it and then find the right car to hot up. Then there is no problem other than the cost of hotting up which is in its self mildly eye watering.

Or do mods that are undo-able, have what you want then go back to stock of required.

If you know shit from clay it's not that hard.

I hope you don't stuff up the colour choice!

I can't. It's a 911 so they all look good with a few exceptions. It's a matter of what's most right. I'm sure I'll be judged come the day so let's hope the world approves B).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't. It's a 911 so they all look good with a few exceptions. It's a matter of what's most right. I'm sure I'll be judged come the day so let's hope the world approves B).

There will always be someone who doesn't like your choice. I know I have fantastic taste, but some crazy people disagree with me :P 

There will always be someone who doesn't like your choice. I know I have fantastic taste, but some crazy people disagree with me :P 

Yes if your car came on the market I would pay a bucket load for it, except for that purple check interior.......:D

If you intend to drive the car and know what your looking at in terms of modifications (more so in terms of performance mods, suspension exhaust, type, quality etc.) they can add value to a purchase. It's just the $$$ "value" can differ between buyers/sellers. 

Cosmetic mods are harder to "value" as it really comes down to more personal tastes, its a more subjective exercise. 

Adding a turbo is a pretty extensive mod though, especially if you are looking to do it properly. Plenty of other mods I'd consider first if you are not fully committed to the idea. 

Having built a few hotrods over the years (not Porsche's), I always approached it with the attitude that it's my hobby and I am paying to have fun.  Same with having a ski boat, a chopper, hovercraft (sans eels), or whatever.  If I wanted a return on my investment I would have put the money in a term deposit and taken up chess.

Having built a few hotrods over the years (not Porsche's), I always approached it with the attitude that it's my hobby and I am paying to have fun.  Same with having a ski boat, a chopper, hovercraft (sans eels), or whatever.  If I wanted a return on my investment I would have put the money in a term deposit and taken up chess.

My father in-law always puts it as "tuition fee".

I'd be asking the same about orig cars.. are they worth what they cost to resto.. and was is it fun once completed.

had about  120 all up in a 71 oz (matching blah blah..) coupe and counting  . Total rotisserie down to its undies.. new  metal , new paint, factory anal-ity. With just that oh so right amount  of Schutz , factory perfect new interior .. there's still a lot of work to go ... will it break even on cost if sold ... f&k nose. 

hotties, modded, tribute are all cool whether ex race  or macchiato loons beater , or dear klassy .. they are  a snapshot in time  and display writ large in equal measure our desires aspirations and foibles .. 

it seemed last year hotties were verboten though I did note this year a rush of blood for a number of cars that hit the market - they all sold pretty promptly. An exception been a weapons grade , beautiful  IROC type build done for targa tassie that has a stupid number on it.

One of the cars sold though has come  into Canberra, sold for arguably big money .. 140 plus, is a converted car, is having a truck load of detail work done for rego compliance and cosmetics cause new owner an anal pedant.

Its a cracker and as bought  was well under build and running costs,  but orig builder amortised this over some years of motorsport and the PO took a bit of a hit as hadn't owned it that long and tipped money into it.. but enjoyed doing so 

I'm not certain at this juncture  how to end what I'm writing ( let alone intent of what I wrote) as I'm thinking what a riot it'll be to hammer my mates RSR tribute in a few weeks time and musing over some needed details for TANGent.

I am with the hot rodders and clearly have a bias. :) But for me the car was to be driven, tracked, rallied without any care of mileage, depreciating a possibly valuable collectable or the wear and tear (stonechips etc) of being used. And I like modifying cars. Also while the performance of the standard car is good, the performance of a well modded one is bonkers! So the idea of having an original car wasn't for me. In my case I bought a hod rodded car to start with as the price was right as they were unloved, it had good bones, and just needed some refinement. (Someone else bastardised the Aus deliverd RHD shell)  

If you had a really nice original car but want more, probably best to sell it and either buy a hot rod or a basket case as other above have done and make it you own thing.

At the same time I don't think the singer, magnus etc effect is hurting the market for a well modded hot rod. And I think the generally buoyant Porsche market gives you a bit of a hedge on spending money on mods if done well. Although I am always reminded....want to make a small fortune in motorsport....start with a big one :) 

A cause I'm a rude prick

B cause you broke my heart 

C I didn't pay my bill 

D my partner says I spend too much time using my phone 

I get pinged for D all the time.  It's a good lesson on what happens when you criminalise something.  My phone habits have had to go underground :ph34r:

If I started with a shell and had a choice - hot rod or standard restoration - hot rod would win hands down with the exception being the base car is something truly special.

Hot rods are just so much more appealing. But don't be that guy who does it sh!t. And it's very easy to see what is sh!t. Case in point, the examples already linked above.

Don't do a sh!t hot rod.

You get bored with standard cars.

You will pay through the nose to build either stock or modded.

At the end of that pain, you may as well love what you get. If you're doing it for profit (good luck!), build standard. If you're building what you want, I reckon in 90% of cases, that's a hot rod.

So whatever you do, do it well. Someone will appreciate it.But that doesn't mean you'll make money. If you want to make money, look elsewhere.

Yeah i was in a similar predicament last year but seeing as mines a mid year import and i had a big scratch on one side of the car, it was a no brainer for me. To be honest with regards to the value proposition, as other guys say, it all depends on the current fashion. You see forward dated cars which was all the rage back then go cheap and backdated cars currently seem to hold of increase in value (if done well). Who is to say that still remains the case in 5 to 10 years.

I ended up selling a lot of my stock parts to fund the new parts (which hopefully i wont regret down the track) just coz i couldn't afford not to and it would be too pricey to revert back to stock after cutting up the guards etc. but again i didnt start with a RHD original delivered AUS car so my situation is different.

I have no doubt that i could at least recoup my costs and potentially make a bit of profit if i was to sell it after i finish but again i bought my car as a non runner before everything went nuts. 

Yeah i was in a similar predicament last year but seeing as mines a mid year import and i had a big scratch on one side of the car, it was a no brainer for me. To be honest with regards to the value proposition, as other guys say, it all depends on the current fashion. You see forward dated cars which was all the rage back then go cheap and backdated cars currently seem to hold of increase in value (if done well). Who is to say that still remains the case in 5 to 10 years.

I ended up selling a lot of my stock parts to fund the new parts (which hopefully i wont regret down the track) just coz i couldn't afford not to and it would be too pricey to revert back to stock after cutting up the guards etc. but again i didnt start with a RHD original delivered AUS car so my situation is different.

I have no doubt that i could at least recoup my costs and potentially make a bit of profit if i was to sell it after i finish but again i bought my car as a non runner before everything went nuts. 

i think backdates will remain popular but less common as people start to appreciate impact bumper cars in their own right, rather than the unloved generation used only to make backdates or forward dates.. so will see more impact bumper hot rods these days rather than people jumping straight to back dating.

I priced up most of the bits to backdate an SC last night with rennspd.com. Even I could afford it. Hmmm!! ?

It probably wouldn't be this Zag built quality car (I vaguely recall around 200k asking price) but I'd love to do it to my SC

20160411_124211.jpg

Mine may be a good measure.

She's not a wide body, not technically a hot rod but she's got a 3.6 and upgraded bits and pieces. So somewhere near the mark.

I may be putting her up for sale in a couple months once I get rid of the storage cobwebs and tweak a couple of minor things.

She's basically all the things the anoraks hate, US converted, heart transplant, other bits and pieces from the Porsche spare parts bin, but it makes such a great sound and I really enjoy driving her when I get the chance, which unfortunately, is not very often.

I'll decide once she's in fine fettle.

steve

Mine may be a good measure.

She's not a wide body, not technically a hot rod but she's got a 3.6 and upgraded bits and pieces. So somewhere near the mark.

I may be putting her up for sale in a couple months once I get rid of the storage cobwebs and tweak a couple of minor things.

She's basically all the things the anoraks hate, US converted, heart transplant, other bits and pieces from the Porsche spare parts bin, but it makes such a great sound and I really enjoy driving her when I get the chance, which unfortunately, is not very often.

I'll decide once she's in fine fettle.

steve

Sounds like a great candidate, with half of the job done from the start.

You get bored with standard cars.

You still aint driven a GT3 dude!

Its the only Vanilla ice cream that dont need sprinkles

I still want another car with sprinkles though not cos that cars boring , just cos im bored…. Rogues satisfy that itch

How is that dirty bloody Red import of yours …..? ;) Damn I shoulda bought that 

You still aint driven a GT3 dude!

Its the only Vanilla ice cream that dont need sprinkles

I still want another car with sprinkles though not cos that cars boring , just cos im bored…. Rogues satisfy that itch

How is that dirty bloody Red import of yours …..? ;) Damn I shoulda bought that 

Swap you for the GT3!

New clutch, 930 brakes, throttle that now opens fully. But unfortunately it's a lefty and far from standard. I might have to pay you to take it away.

Archived