Cayenne "series"

TwoHeadsTas

OK guys, just having a rethink about my vehicles, and there may be room in my garage for a Cayenne to replace my Territory as a caravan tow vehicle + daily drive.  I'd be looking for a diesel, wanting to spend up to, say, $65k. For this it looks like I can get a 2010-11 or thereabouts, sub 80kms, or pay a lot, lot less for a 150km mileage car.  What are the things to watch out for, and I understand there were some changes with a general update - effectively Series 1 and 2????  However, noticed there aren't many non-black cars around, my preference is white.

cheers

Peter

Hi Peter,

Were you recently on the PCT economy run?

No experience with the diesels sorry, I did strongly look at the V8 version but settled on my ML instead. Would a V8 petrol suit? I do know that Cayennes (and Touregs) have cardan shaft bearing issues, but there is a easy fix for them, suspension can also wear (as can any car), overall i think they are a very robust vehicle.

cheers

If you are towing, you'd want a diesel. The early ones even had low range for real 4WD work. 

I'd also look at it's sister cars like the Audi Q7 and VW Toureg. The Q7 even came with a V12 Diesel engine that was supposed to be for the R8 - and these are rare (cost new was $256K).

You can get a more recent V8 Diesel Q7 for around your budget.

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Audi-Q7-2013/OAG-AD-14813006/?Cr=0

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Audi-Q7-2012/SSE-AD-3406769/?Cr=3

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Audi-Q7-2014/SSE-AD-4719079/?Cr=4

Hi Peter,

Were you recently on the PCT economy run?

No experience with the diesels sorry, I did strongly look at the V8 version but settled on my ML instead. Would a V8 petrol suit? I do know that Cayennes (and Touregs) have cardan shaft bearing issues, but there is a easy fix for them, suspension can also wear (as can any car), overall i think they are a very robust vehicle.

cheers

Hi Adam, yes, that was me :rolleyes:  I worked out who ANF was too ;)  Noticed you were looking for a Cayenne in an earlier thread, but presumably settled with another Benz.

I think a petrol would keep me very poor as an everyday drive, as I drive 120kms to and from work 3 days / week.  My boss has an early V8 petrol and he keeps moaning about the economy (or lack thereof....).  I've had diesels for the last 15 years and really do prefer them for the additional torque for everyday driving.

Anyway, I'll look into things a bit further when I get back from O/S in a month.  Also, prices may have a bit of a drop when the new one is available early next year...

cheers

Peter

Hi Peter, yes it was "another" Merc for me :) overall not much between the (for me the Merc has a nicer interior and was also a lot cheaper when I was looking). I am sure you will be happy with what ever you choose, for me though I don't mind paying a bit extra for a petrol engine car :)

No doubt see you at a PCT event soon...

cheers

Archived