Porsche Clubs in Melbourne

Hezath

Don't want to start a bitch session, but I'd like to hear a few opinions about the Porsche clubs of Victoria.

I need a club that offers immediate Club Registration - I'm happy to get a RWC if the club doesn't offer a Safety Inspection.

I'm more interested in the cars than the badge and the prestige etc. Would love it if I could go somewhere with no Cayennes or other automatic water-cooled stuff but that might be pushing my luck. I like DIY stuff and want to talk to people who actually get their hands dirty.

I know the Porsche Club of Victoria host good events etc with a lot of motorsport. That's a plus. The membership cost is higher than any other car club that I've heard of before but if the club is great then that's okay.

I know there's the TYP 901 Register, don't know many details (club doesn't have a contact number I've found?), apparently they are a good group, do they welcome Impact Bumper owners in the club? I have no intention of buying a longhood car in the near future.

Are there any others that I should know about?

If you do not mind mixing with a multitude of other marques you could look at the Maserati Club of Australia.

They make a point of not having the club called Maserati "Car" Club.... as it caters for many varied types of vehicles.

They have a focus on track days as well as other social events, and I know from going to an event at Phillip Island they held in Januray 2012 that there were quite a few 911's.

Some truly serious LHD cars that looked very professional.

Vas is right there is certainly nothing wrong with PCV its probably one of the most well organised and successful car clubs around. I was a member for 10 years and while I made some good friends and spent many cold Sundays marshaling on a cold windy corner at PI or Winton. Decided that I just wasn't getting enough out of it to warrant the cost. Gosh it was costing me money to volunteer for others to enjoy their track time.... I actually get far more enjoyment and have made even more very good friends through this forum and enjoy our SMT's immensely. But that's just me.

Certainly for what you are looking for PCV is worth a look and also PIARC too as Vas has suggested.

By the way, nothing wrong with Automatics or Water-cooled. We have some fine people on this forum with both.... :)

Cheers

Chris

• 5 years later...

I'm only 6 years too late, but bitching about a car club simply shows your personal colours.  

Any, and all car clubs, and in fact all clubs - are the sum of there members. All I suggest, is, please don't join my club. Losers are far less welcome then than those who exhibit enthusiasm and generosity

29 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Ahem, their not there. Thought a winner may know how to spell properly.

Though Filthy is correct. I've been in car clubs, cricket clubs, and footy clubs, and that's always been the case. Some people wait to be asked, then help out enthusiastically, others willingly volunteer their time, while others just swan in, take what's on offer, and refuse to get involved. Unfortunately, it's the way of the world.

8 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

Agree Stew, in nearly all clubs always freeloaders, grandstanders, users, generous, tight, enthusiastic, lazy, elitist, quirky and salt of the earth hands on types. Populace in general really. I admire the type that freely give of their time and help for all involved.

My yacht club is doing a major rebuild of our jetty and pontoons.  We have been fortunate to receive government and council grants to cover material and some external contractor costs, but insufficient to cover the arms length costs of having contractors fully do the work.  With the assistance of a number of general working bees attended by 15-20 members (like one held this morning), and 5 retired but very handy members working generally a full day or more each week, members have put in over 400 hours of volunteer work.  This is a fantastic display of what can be accomplished by dedicated club members, however, if i look at the number of members we have all up, the contributing members form less than 20% of the total membership, yet all members will of course benefit in the long run.  Ain't clubs wonderful....

22 hours ago, Filthy said:

I'm only 6 years too late, but bitching about a car club simply shows your personal colours.  

Any, and all car clubs, and in fact all clubs - are the sum of there members. All I suggest, is, please don't join my club. Losers are far less welcome then than those who exhibit enthusiasm and generosity

I don't believe I identify with your description above thankfully. I will say though, I'd be reluctant to join any club you are involved in as you seem to be pretty bitter to say the least. 

Im guessing that's why you decided to remain anonymous under the fitting title of "Filthy" than to actually add anything constructive to the conversation. 

Ironically, you are the exact type of person that perpetuates the negative attitude within most (if not all) clubs. Lead by example, Filthy is not winning you any credibility. 

On 24/02/2018 at 12:29 AM, Filthy said:

Assistant Commissioner Guerin, we have no time for you on this forum, go away please 

On 24/02/2018 at 10:51 PM, hugh said:

I don't believe I identify with your description above thankfully. I will say though, I'd be reluctant to join any club you are involved in as you seem to be pretty bitter to say the least. 

Im guessing that's why you decided to remain anonymous under the fitting title of "Filthy" than to actually add anything constructive to the conversation. 

Ironically, you are the exact type of person that perpetuates the negative attitude within most (if not all) clubs. Lead by example, Filthy is not winning you any credibility. 

Too right Hugh... 

Reminds me it’s car wash Saturday  tomorrow my car is filthy... 

Archived