Number Plate Stickers

Pork Chops

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS.....WATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THEY COME FOR YOU......BAD BOYS BAD BOYS

Having said that.   I personally think they are a great idea and KGB has a great suggestion.   Vic roads should flog legite ones.

However this is Victoria, the Nanny state and they will book you if you get caught with them.   You may also probably lose points.

As also mentioned.    Anything that stands in the way of revenue raising from cameras etc is going to be jumped on from a great height.

Plus... all the bodgie plates being used in petrol drive offs etc...   I will be surprised if you get any mercy.

But ...good luck with your projects.....

Highway will ream you.  Metro local you stand a chance if it's an older car and sing a nice tune.  But who ever gets pulled over these days anyway...  Old mate of mine was on the job and had an early 911 in the garage at home!   Niko - Prahran.

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS.....WATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THEY COME FOR YOU......BAD BOYS BAD BOYS

Every couple of months at the top of Hoddle St just past Clifton Hill station the boys are on the job with the number plate reader looking for fine dodgers, unrego'd, unlicensed, and bail jumpers.  I wonder if they pick up 'craft work' number plates, or consequent lack of a plate?

Only if you fail the A test when you're pulled over.

Sadly this is getting rarer these days.  Many GD Police will cut you some slack however the Traffic Branch will brick you in a heartbeat.  Further the newer GD Police are less likely to let you go due to the new environment they have to operate in.  Discretion is frowned upon these days.........it's a brave new world.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was only talking about this with a friend on Monday. He had number plates he got made up by some company 11 years ago and has had them on a Lotus Esprit for 11 years, been pulled over many time RBT etc, some times just because to guys just want to have a look at his car, and the plates were never mentioned.

Then out of the blue the other day he got booked, the Officer took the plates and told him to organise transport for his car, because he could not drive it home with no plates.     

On 10/11/2017 at 4:48 PM, dan_189 said:

I'm surprised how many fake/remade heritage plates I see driving around... Wonder if they have cottoned-on to that yet

I was in Wangaratta a couple of weeks ago, and there was a red Holden Commodore, 2000 something model, nothing flash,  with a couple of 40 ish aged people in the from and two teenagers in the back,

driving around with metal red number plates "HOLDEN" no Vic markings whatsoever on the plates just "HOLDEN",  obviously they have been made up.

I was too slow to get a photo..

Gutsy effort driving around with them on your car one would think.

2 hours ago, Port 911 said:

I was only talking about this with a friend on Monday. He had number plates he got made up by some company 11 years ago and has had them on a Lotus Esprit for 11 years, been pulled over many time RBT etc, some times just because to guys just want to have a look at his car, and the plates were never mentioned.

Then out of the blue the other day he got booked, the Officer took the plates and told him to organise transport for his car, because he could not drive it home with no plates.     

I’ve never been a fan of traffic police as long as I could drive,  and stories like this do nothing to change my mind.

IMG_2269-S.jpg

28 minutes ago, Niko said:

I was in Wangaratta a couple of weeks ago, and there was a red Holden Commodore, 2000 something model, nothing flash,  with a couple of 40 ish aged people in the from and two teenagers in the back,

driving around with metal red number plates "HOLDEN" no Vic markings whatsoever on the plates just "HOLDEN",  obviously they have been made up.

I was too slow to get a photo..

Gutsy effort driving around with them on your car one would think.

Bogans and comodores huh!!  OR   Might've been on a 28 day Vicroads permit .... technically not affixing "other number plates" to the car coz they aint

1 minute ago, Troubleshooter said:

Bogans and comodores huh!!  OR   Might've been on a 28 day Vicroads permit .... technically not affixing "other number plates" to the car coz they aint

They looked like locals, but I thought when I seen it, that it would belong in the first category you mentioned.

And if it is the case ...you can sort of understand the coppers coming down on "after market made" plates.

Otherwise these type of spankers would be sticking them on all their cars.

Although, I understand the "after market made" plates we are talking about on this thread are still the same as the RTA issued type (mostly)

Maybe the ones we are talking about become collateral damage, because of Mr. "HOLDEN" and his fellow spankers

Yep I think it all comes own to the policeman who pulls you up and their discretion Niko - good mood/ bad mood ... coz I'm pretty sure on reflection, that you cant legally put something similar to a real number plate on a road  vehicle if it's not meant to be there and it's seriously alluding to be a "number plate" . I can remember cutting a Vicplate in half and then sectioning it to fit on a late 60's corvette rear back when personalised or custom plates where a dream of the future, not a problem at all and just disregarded the front plate completely....back in the good ol' days when a minimum of chips fed the family and a potato cake was 5 cents! .... and a can of MR Sheen was 50 cents hahaha

25 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Yep I think it all comes own to the policeman who pulls you up and their discretion Niko - good mood/ bad mood ... coz I'm pretty sure on reflection, that you cant legally put something similar to a real number plate on a road  vehicle if it's not meant to be there and it's seriously alluding to be a "number plate" . I can remember cutting a Vicplate in half and then sectioning it to fit on a late 60's corvette rear back when personalised or custom plates where a dream of the future, not a problem at all and just disregarded the front plate completely....back in the good ol' days when a minimum of chips fed the family and a potato cake was 5 cents! .... and a can of MR Sheen was 50 cents hahaha

Your right T.S. it comes down to ...if it's not a genuine plate issued by the VICROADS  (NOT SURE ABOUT OTHER STATES) It is illegal .

If it is a well made "REPLICA PLATE" with the same dimensions and colour etc as issued by VICROADS,....

like ones that are vinyl and stuck onto bonnets etc, simply because it is the best place to put it, due to lack of space or airflow to the radiator, and it is still clearly visible...

what is the real harm....???

I'm also thinking it depends on the Policeman's mood at the time, or where the attitude test may play a part in what happens.

The other factor may also be that maybe the SPEED & TOLL CAMERAS don't recognise the replica plates....

That may be another reason for them clamping down.

I've also lately seen some Club Plates painted in other than issued colour.    

I think that would be a great idea (and money maker) for VICROADS to venture into.  What difference should colour make?

21 minutes ago, Pork Chops said:

Where is the Mr Sheen thread? 

Don't go there you will have nightmares...

"Club Plates painted in other than issued colours.     I think that would be a great idea (and money maker) for VICROADS to venture into.  What difference should colour make?"

Give it time NIko, I'm sure they'll be available soon ......along with rainbow plates etc etc

"The other factor may also be that maybe the SPEED & TOLL CAMERAS don't recognise the replica plates"  Bullseye!!!

4 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

"The other factor may also be that maybe the SPEED & TOLL CAMERAS don't recognise the replica plates"  Bullseye!!!

The standard issue plates are highly retro reflective so I am sure that is deliberate to help the cameras as well as the laser gun that relies on the reflectivity of the plates and sometimes the headlights otherwise the range would be very short. 

The ignorant bludgers that like to bully us and tell us what is good for us should get their act together and offer sticker plates as the tech is available that meets all requirements including being retroreflective. 

Archived