Home Built Z

MFX

So I have had to sit the Porsche to the side as I am still waiting on engine parts, but that means it is time for me to start the build on my 1971 Datsun 240Z. 

This week I first needed to replace the front wheel bearings on the 911 so I could put wheels on it and move it out of the way. I then got into doing a stocktake on my Z to see what it needed, and start formulating a plan for the build.

Here is the episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoNU6IjrrEU&feature=youtu.be

Here is some different inspiration - Lseries grunter, Aussie built by Les Collins of Datrally fame:

http://lescollinsracing.com/engine/projects-engine/3435cc-z-racer

I have watched that before. That engine is insane! That time is faster than Randy Pobst in a BMW M4. Probably running better tyres on the Z but still, it is crazy fast.

I used to fiddle with Datsuns years ago and I have very little skill but it was simple.  I wouldn't tackle a Porsche.  Given what I've seen if your videos, the Datsun will be a walk in the park.

Early Datto's are just like Porsches.  All metric fasteners and you can swap just about any mechanical part across the model range. 

New TV show / franchise.  Jeff'll Fix It.

Some of my mates say that I 'Jeff it', which they think means it works. If the guys at work say I 'Jeff it' then I definitely screwed it up. I think there is a lot from column A and from column B.

Early Datto's are just like Porsches.  All metric fasteners and you can swap just about any mechanical part across the model range. 

disagree and my 2c from experience, the Datsun parts are very flimsy and what fits one car requires a hammer to fit a different one. Worlds apart from the Porsche in consistency and quality (as you'd hope so of course).

any mod or issue for the Porsche has a three page write up on a forum somewhere and a comprehensive kit meticulously made by some Porsche nerd engineer available from three separate distributors. The Datsun has no equivalent to pelican parts or FCP euro, so unless you are fluent in Japanese you have to cobble together bits from four different cars then customise everything before it will fit. Garage San maru had a great rant on this about their Z :lol: 

i have found the sa22 to be far better thought out and easy to work with, with a better support base. 

i think some Porsche people take it for granted- we may have Porsche tax but our parts availability is very good (though not mustang or mini good).

all of the above is why I'm going to enjoy this series from Jeff, he's done a sweet job so far so will be good to see his talents on the Z.

Edited by clutch-monkey

disagree and my 2c from experience, the Datsun parts are very flimsy and what fits one car requires a hammer to fit a different one. Worlds apart from the Porsche in consistency and quality (as you'd hope so of course).

any mod or issue for the Porsche has a three page write up on a forum somewhere and a comprehensive kit meticulously made by some Porsche nerd engineer available from three separate distributors. The Datsun you have to cobble together bits from four different cars then customise everything before it will fit. Garage San maru had a great rant on this about their Z :lol: 

i have found the sa22 to be far better thought out and easy to work with, with a better support base. 

i think some Porsche people take it for granted- we may have Porsche tax but our parts availability is very good (though not mustang or mini good).

all of the above is why I'm going to enjoy this series from Jeff, he's done a sweet job so far so will be good to see his talents on the Z.

My Datto experience dates back to prehistoric beasts like 1600's, 180b, 200b, a 240k and a shitbox 1200 ute that a mate had as a paddock basher. Engines, gearboxes, struts, diffs, axles etc all got swapped around with relative ease using the few tools we had in our shed.

I had to google "sa22" and "Garage San maru"  :Speechless:  It seems things got complicated on Zeds and later turbo era cars.  Aah... for the simpler times.

any mod or issue for the Porsche has a three page write up on a forum somewhere and a comprehensive kit meticulously made by some Porsche nerd engineer available from three separate distributors. The Datsun has no equivalent to pelican parts or FCP euro, so unless you are fluent in Japanese you have to cobble together bits from four different cars then customise everything before it will fit. Garage San maru had a great rant on this about their Z :lol: 

I had a Datto 1600 that I fitted a 180B SSS engine mated to a 240K g'box with a skyline diff, 240K struts and brakes.  All bolted in.

I had a Datto 1600 that I fitted a 180B SSS engine mated to a 240K g'box with a skyline diff, 240K struts and brakes.  All bolted in.

Z doesn't really have that option until you start cutting up s13/r31 setups to fit.

there's no model above the Z to cannibalise, only later model stuff.

not that 240k stuff has really been available since they've all been sold to Dubai or jumped into dams in the 90's, which the Datsun community in Australia can't seem to correlate with their rarity and value now :lol: 

Edited by clutch-monkey

Snap!

We did exactly the same to the '68 1600 that my old man bought new.   I never got to inherit that one though. It got cleaned up 3 months before I got my licence.  The Datsun bug had bitten though and I had a few over the years.

Z doesn't really have that option until you start cutting up s13/r31 setups to fit.

there's no model above the Z to cannibalise, only later model stuff.

not that 240k stuff has really been available since they've all been sold to Dubai or jumped into dams in the 90's, which the Datsun community in Australia can't seem to correlate with their rarity and value now :lol: 

So you are talking about a Z, not 1600s and the like?

Snap!

We did exactly the same to the '68 1600 that my old man bought new.   I never got to inherit that one though. It got cleaned up 3 months before I got my licence.  The Datsun bug had bitten though and I had a few over the years.

Yeah it's a bug alright.

I think I know where I might find another one too.

I think we have stolen the thread,sorry,  the normal programme will resume soon.

Yeah it's a bug alright.

I think we have stolen the thread,sorry,  the normal programme will resume soon.

let's see how far we can drift this Datto love-in before the next video drops ?

let's see how far we can drift this Datto love-in before the next video drops ?

Go for it. My first car was a Datto, although nowhere near as cool as a 1600. Mine was a hand me down from my grandmother. It was a 200B auto wagon, which had been resprayed from metallic brown, to a solid 'baby sh!t' brown. I also remember the brown vinyl interior that got so hot in summer I would come away with burns...

Yeah it's a bug alright.

no datsun has the parts availability of bmw, mini, mustang etc. The Z's suffer the most from this; the base models have some decent parts sharing, the 1200 does quite well there as well ( i rate the 1200 more than the Z incidentally, it's like a rwd mini). 1600's do ok with their popularity.
all of them have panels assembled by a drunk englishman and the build quality of a bent coke can. in general terms trim is unavailable. panels hard to find. upgrades now scarce, whatever datsun weird beards have swapped into them in the past is less than irrelevant now that wrecker supplies have dried up. unless you want to deal with datsun parts hoarders 
:blink: some workshops are stepping up to fill the gap, SW and otomoto has had lots of my money over the years.. :lol:
never had trouble working on them of course, all very simple, essentially a truck motor and all that.. but going down the upgrade path is $$$ and eventually the setbacks and disappointments got the better of me and i ended up in something else. my Z only moves these days so i can get the rx7 out from behind it..

i'll quite happily never own another one*, but i look forward to what jeff does with his. anyway that's my rant done.. on with the videos!

*may be swayed by a 1200 coupe..

Edited by clutch-monkey