MFX

Home Built Z

This week I finally get to rebuild the bottom end of my L28 for my Z.

This week I get into the assembly of my L28's head for my Datsun 240z

This week I finish off the head assembly and mount it to the block. It is coming together and I am getting excited.

Hey Jeff,

Hopefully you don't have trouble installing the timing cover on the front of the engine with the cylinder head already installed. The timing cover alignment dowels on the front of the block can make it difficult to get the required clearance with the head on, be careful do don't pinch the front of the head gasket when pushing the timing cover on.

6 hours ago, 81SC said:

Hey Jeff,

Hopefully you don't have trouble installing the timing cover on the front of the engine with the cylinder head already installed. The timing cover alignment dowels on the front of the block can make it difficult to get the required clearance with the head on, be careful do don't pinch the front of the head gasket when pushing the timing cover on.

This is the way the book says to do it. I suppose because I need to install all of the chain tensioners, etc, with the head on but the cover off.

This week I finish assembling my L28 engine for my 240z and do the timing.

This weeks job was to mount my seats to the car, but nothing ever goes smoothly, and there is always that last bit of rust...

This week I got the interior cleaned up and painted.

Great vids Jeff. Our 9 year old son is a big fan (as am I).  I was swapping my seats over this morning and had junior tapping away on the floor "any rust dad?" followed by "it's not painted very well".  He used to think my car was pretty cool and now just looks for imperfections 😁 and then the final dagger through the heart "one day you might be as good as Jeff".  Hilarious!!  Keep up the great work.

51 minutes ago, Damienb said:

Great vids Jeff. Our 9 year old son is a big fan (as am I).  I was swapping my seats over this morning and had junior tapping away on the floor "any rust dad?" followed by "it's not painted very well".  He used to think my car was pretty cool and now just looks for imperfections 😁 and then the final dagger through the heart "one day you might be as good as Jeff".  Hilarious!!  Keep up the great work.

Haha, glad to hear it is a family affair. One reason I make sure I don't swear or say anything offensive in the videos, is I know kids watch it too. 

As for the other point, I still feel like a cave man with a stone hammer compared to Project Binky. I often rock myself to sleep thinking 'one day I might be as good as Project Binky' ;) 

Well to be fair neither you or the binky lads have actually finished a car yet, so there’s that :D

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:23 AM, MFX said:

Haha, glad to hear it is a family affair. One reason I make sure I don't swear or say anything offensive in the videos, is I know kids watch it too. 

As for the other point, I still feel like a cave man with a stone hammer compared to Project Binky. I often rock myself to sleep thinking 'one day I might be as good as Project Binky' ;) 

Jeff you'll have your 3 plus the house finished and be onto your next project (a sporty ol skool Boxster for the glam star of the show) before the overengineered Binky mobile sees a road... 17 hours to make some wiper setup brackets etc - the guys have more time than brains. That means they have infinite time as their brains are spot on!

3 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Jeff you'll have your 3 plus the house finished and be onto your next project (a sporty ol skool Boxster for the glam star of the show) before the overengineered Binky mobile sees a road... 17 hours to make some wiper setup brackets etc - the guys have more time than brains. That means they have infinite time as their brains are spot on!

I kind of don't want them to finish it, just because I love the build so much :D

2 minutes ago, MFX said:

I kind of don't want them to finish it, just because I love the build so much :D

Don't worry we've got a good  coupla years viewing left from them on the mini, 40 min every 2 months!

This week I do the final prep work on the body of the car. Paint is getting closer :D 

This week I finally get the colour onto my 240z. It has almost been 12 months of work to get to this point, and it still has a long way to go, but it is great to reach this milestone.

Bet Binky can't lay the candy down like that! Hmmm 680 = the amount of days til you finally got some paint on her

1 hour ago, Troubleshooter said:

Bet Binky can't lay the candy down like that! Hmmm 680 = the amount of days til you finally got some paint on her

Haha. The name has been guessed. It all comes down to my nerdiness. 24 oz = 680 grams ;)

This week it is back to sanding and primer on the 680, but it all heads towards getting it ready for the final paint.