Home Built Z

MFX

I pretty much only watch youtube and streamed movies.  Stayed in a hotel over the holidays and the breakfast room had the TV on every morning with those horrid 'morning' shows.  Such transparent marketing placement and vacuous BS being dribbled on and on.  Who has the interest in that crap?  I'd much rather watch a guy like Jeff stuff around in the shed and bash his head on the hoist.

1 hour ago, Coastr said:

I pretty much only watch youtube and streamed movies.  Stayed in a hotel over the holidays and the breakfast room had the TV on every morning with those horrid 'morning' shows.  Such transparent marketing placement and vacuous BS being dribbled on and on.  Who has the interest in that crap?  I'd much rather watch a guy like Jeff stuff around in the shed and bash his head on the hoist.

I am the same, I much prefer to watch YouTube, all except for the head bashing part. Blood makes a real mess of the floor ;) 

2 hours ago, Coastr said:

with those horrid 'morning' shows.  Such transparent marketing placement and vacuous BS being dribbled on and on.  Who has the interest in that crap? 

I have absolutely no idea who would watch that crap. Same as most free to air shows really. Saying that, Foxtel has become shocking for ads now, especially doco or special interest channels who I swear has more ads than free to air. I've told the missus we're dumping half of it and keeping the sports and movie channels to save $100/month. 

We also watch YouTube a fair bit now, so Jeff will have to step it up with posting more videos 😄

Well I think a lot of companies are finally starting to realise that TV advertising has a very poor market reach for their dollar. For example a 'hit' show on a channel like 7Mate is one that gets around 30,000 views. I am a relatively small youTube channel and I get around a third of those views. There are tons of YT channels that get 200,000+ views per episode and you could get your products to the creator directly and they can get them in front a a much bigger target audience for peanuts.

Anyway here is my latest

In this episode I install the electric fuel pump and tidy up some more of the engine bay in the 680g

TV as we know it is destined for the dustbin.  The days of everyone watching the same shows at the same time are gone.  On demand video delivered across devices is the future.   Relics of the TV era like 22min/48min runtimes and endless serialisation are finished.

the other elephant in the room is social media and online advertising.  The former reddit ceo already blew the whistle on that - people are paying massive amounts for fake ad views.  I’ve seen it first hand at a former company where we got a sponsorship deal which included a funded Facebook video campaign.   After digging through the results over 90% of the views came from India despite the content having little relevance to the intended audience.  There were comments/likes from random accounts which had all the appearance of sock puppets.  If we had paid the cash for that it would have been a giant waste.

in contrast, you know viewers of Jeff’s video are mostly organic because of the interaction and any direct sponsorship is going to be viewed by real people in numbers rivalling ‘hit’ tv shows and with a long tail of repeating viewers because the content stays around a long time.  It’s also immune to adblockers.

so if you’re a business looking for good value exposure a grass roots channel like this is going to give much better bang for the buck, but you might have to do the legwork and find a few different ‘jeffs’ to get the coverage needed for a big launch. It’s not as easy as clicking a few buttons but it’s likely to work better.

2 hours ago, LeeM said:

I was quite surprised when I saw this video from an automotive YouTuber 

He is bringing in $36kUS per month, which is crazy. Even if I had the same number of views as him, He is somehow still earning at least double what I would. At my level I only make about $500 per month, so I am definitely not retiring soon, but it is interesting to see that there is good money out there for the big guys at least.

Trouble is Jeff, you need to be a moron with no real meaning to anything you post on YouTube before you make a shed load of cash from it. Seems to work for the moron teenies who follow them. Just look at that young Jenner girl (the real girl I mean, not the....whatever it is) a million bucks a MONTH! 

Some other Brazilian model chick has 3 million followers or something like that, and she gets $30k per video on Instagram 😳

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

Trouble is Jeff, you need to be a moron with no real meaning to anything you post on YouTube before you make a shed load of cash from it. Seems to work for the moron teenies who follow them. Just look at that young Jenner girl (the real girl I mean, not the....whatever it is) a million bucks a MONTH! 

Some other Brazilian model chick has 3 million followers or something like that, and she gets $30k per video on Instagram 😳

I am not sure how effective a lot of that female instagram model advertising would be. Most of them advertise skin care products, etc, but I am pretty sure most of their followers are male...

6 minutes ago, MFX said:

I am not sure how effective a lot of that female instagram model advertising would be. Most of them advertise skin care products, etc, but I am pretty sure most of their followers are male...

don't forget those in transition...and they seem to be attracting a large following also!

1 hour ago, MFX said:

Most of them advertise skin care products, etc, but I am pretty sure most of their followers are male...

Well there's a niche market for you to represent some man care products mate. 'After a hard day working on my Datto, I like to relax by having a face spa and moisturise with my exclusive Home Built By Jeff moisturiser and skin care line. It does wonders for your skin, and makes me feel young again ready to tackle another day of fighting fires and working on cars' 😘

Or maybe you could promote Johnson and Johnson bandaids for those unlucky hoist moments? 😁👍

1 hour ago, MFX said:

Yeah you'd be surprised.   I do a lot of observing of people working their phones in public and *tons* of young women just sit and scroll and scroll and scroll through instagram.  They tend to follow a lot of model types - its not surprising as the old glossy girl mags were all full of girls as well.   As you note skincare and the like are the big products - probably because they require a metric ton of marketing BS to get the sales over the line.   Not as much margin in tools, wheels and paint.  However it does highlight the point that a lot of marketing is aimed at blokes 'cause they are just ogling.  That's where you'd want to be sure you're actually seeing a result from the instagram engagement.

5 hours ago, MFX said:

I was quite surprised when I saw this video from an automotive YouTuber 

He is bringing in $36kUS per month, which is crazy. Even if I had the same number of views as him, He is somehow still earning at least double what I would. At my level I only make about $500 per month, so I am definitely not retiring soon, but it is interesting to see that there is good money out there for the big guys at least.

There would be a step-up rate - I doubt the increase is linear as the bigger the audience, the more valuable it is to sell to.  I don't know the intricacies of youtube monetization.  There would also be sponsorship that adds to the youtube money.  You'd be surprised what's possible I think starting from where you are.  All depends on what you want to do.  I also doubt each episdoe makes the same amount of content - most business owners like to quote their best month and not their worst.

Yes, some of them do crazy stuff to get views, but it's all in the name of entertainment and clearly people enjoy it.  I think we are living in a golden age of auto content because it's not overly corporate, but more people doing their own content on their own ideas without teams of people and carefully managed images.  If you think of all the stodgy non-top gear content that used to get made it was clearly designed with the manufacturers in mind and not the viewers.

2 minutes ago, OZ930 said:

There is a vinyl repair kit available that is a filler and has pattern pads to match your grain or you make your own pattern pad.

Too late ?

I have had a few people who have suggested that. I will see how it looks when it is finished and make my final decision then. 

A thought bubble about your advertising. Who supplied your garage? How about some sponsorship from them by making an episode on how to lift your roof above the hoist (add in some small vertical windows in the side and  pitch of the roof maybe) ? Your garage is a main feature in all episodes, so might be worth an on-going pitch.

Cheers

Paul M

11 minutes ago, PCM911T said:

A thought bubble about your advertising. Who supplied your garage? How about some sponsorship from them by making an episode on how to lift your roof above the hoist (add in some small vertical windows in the side and  pitch of the roof maybe) ? Your garage is a main feature in all episodes, so might be worth an on-going pitch.

Cheers

Paul M

Not a bad idea, but I have looked at it and the only way to really make it worth while would be to raise the entire shed up. That is because even if I raised the roof sheets above the car up, I would still have the rafters which the bonnet or boot of the car would touch not much after that and they are the back bone of the entire shed. I am happy with the height of the hoist to be honest, and it is a whole hell of a lot better than working on jack stands ;) 

• 2 weeks later...