Home Built Z

MFX

"I'm stubborn!"  Quote of the week.

By now, i would have thrown the grinder across the room in frustration, flown to Japan, returning with a N.O.S. door. :ph34r:

Haha. I actually enjoy it. It is like putting a puzzle together. I am not sure if NOS doors even exist. I could have gone fibreglass, but I am happy. I have reasonable doors now and they cost me almost nothing, except time, and time is the easiest, cheapest thing to come by right....?

Haha. I actually enjoy it. It is like putting a puzzle together. I am not sure if NOS doors even exist. I could have gone fibreglass, but I am happy. I have reasonable doors now and they cost me almost nothing, except time, and time is the easiest, cheapest thing to come by right....?

I admire your dedication, patience and enthusiasm.  N.O.S. was my poor attempt at humour...

When I was a kid a friendly neighbour had a new white/black 240Z, it was a thing of fantastic beauty, I still remember the sound it made, very distinctive.

And an uncle had a new 1600 in that mustard color.  The old man had a 240K.  No shortage of Datsun influence in my childhood!

Edited by KGB

they don't.

lack of parts support is why i am offloading my Z before it inevitably rusts again and i have to fix it.

such a good looking car when in top nick though!

Edited by clutch-monkey

I know you can get fibreglass doors, but that is not the way I want to go. I am sure someone will start making steel versions soon, but I am happy with the results I have. If If I was going to have to pay someone to do what I have just gone through, I would be second guessing the car too.

29 minutes ago, KGB said:

10c each view?  Here comes the 911R you've been lusting after..!

Unfortunately most are on Facebook pages where I don't get any revenue. Only 170k of those are on my YouTube channel which probably works out to about $300, but if anyone has a 911R for $300, I'll take it! :Evil:

Wow Jeff next time I drive to Sydney I am calling in to get your autograph now that you are a star it could be worth something one day.  I will be able to tell my grand kids that I knew Jeff when he only had 14M followers.

Also I saw that Porsche Club Vic posted your 4 min video on their Facebook page today.

Just now, Lucky Phil said:

Wow Jeff next time I drive to Sydney I am calling in to get your autograph now that you are a star it could be worth something one day.  I will be able to tell my grand kids that I knew Jeff when he only had 14M followers.

Also I saw that Porsche Club Vic posted your 4 min video on their Facebook page today.

Haha, I wish it was 14m followers. There are plenty of douche bag comments to go with it too ;)

On 1 December 2017 at 6:55 PM, MFX said:

Haha, I wish it was 14m followers. There are plenty of douche bag comments to go with it too ;)

Douchebags are still watching.  A bit of douchebaggery in the comments keeps the attention alive.

Also think of it like this : the d-bags working on channels 7, 9 and 10 worked their whole careers to get theirs stupid uninformed makeup covered mugs on TV would have wet dreams if they got 14m views of their shows.   But you did it enjoying yourself in your shed and spending (a lot) of hours in editing software.  And yet those TV idiots couldn't make a good car show if height career depended on it.

good work and keep going.  I watched Magnus Walkers TEDx talk on YouTube (Google it) and his start with urban outlaw wasn't that much different.  Even if you leveraged it into a bunch of product reviews for stuff people sent you and the like it could be a very fun ride.  You could put the word out on the Z project you want to try out new tyres, or seats, or whatever.   See what that turns up.

5 hours ago, Coastr said:

good work and keep going.  I watched Magnus Walkers TEDx talk on YouTube (Google it) and his start with urban outlaw wasn't that much different.  Even if you leveraged it into a bunch of product reviews for stuff people sent you and the like it could be a very fun ride.  You could put the word out on the Z project you want to try out new tyres, or seats, or whatever.   See what that turns up.

Supercheap have already been helping me out for a few weeks (the reached out to me before this viral video) and they are basically happy to help me out with whatever I need which is great. I have just been talking to another company about paint, so I am branching out a bit. I don't expect to make a living out of this, but every little bit helps. I really notice how the costs add up moving at this pace. 

I have had heaps of people reaching out to me trying to get me to build a car for them, but  it is not what I am looking for. At the moment this is fun and I love doing it. Building cars for others would just become work and I would eventually end up hating it.

14M views holy crap.  Fancy relocating to the garage at one of our display homes? ?  We're happy with 20,000 odd followers!

Any business, particularly in the auto space, would jump at a market that big.  But I also appreciate you're probably torn between keeping it real/home grown vs becoming a slave to the capitalists.

bloody good effort whatever you end up doing

9 minutes ago, DJM said:

14M views holy crap.  Fancy relocating to the garage at one of our display homes? ?  We're happy with 20,000 odd followers!

Any business, particularly in the auto space, would jump at a market that big.  But I also appreciate you're probably torn between keeping it real/home grown vs becoming a slave to the capitalists.

bloody good effort whatever you end up doing

It was a crazy week. It is now well over 24M. My YouTube channel has more than doubled, now at 18k subs. The thing is, making a viral video is not a science. I wish I could do it every week, but that is not going to happen unfortunately. 

14 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Nice one Jeff. I saw a 240Z at the Motorsport festival today. Stupidly fast with a sequential shifter etc, yet the big crowd around it in the pits goes to show what these old cars do to people

Was it the orange one? That thing is mental with a GTR engine and a massive turbo.

Going the Magnus route is the way.  He doesn't build cars for people, he just does what he wants and people constantly invite him places and send him stuff and I guess he makes a tidy side income selling his branded stuff like wheels and whatever.  He also occasionally sells cars to fund new cars and people pay up for them. Getting to stick to the good parts while having people send you paint and parts and tools sounds pretty cool.  I'm guessing you'd probably be happy with a couple of expensed trips and plenty of gear and the occasional volunteer (can't believe the visiting American helper had to wear the trademark firey pants)

While we're handing out on solicited advise I reckon you'll end up being known as 'home built jeff' and the 'by' bit will gradually need to fade out.

• 3 weeks later...