968 thread

LeeM

We have never had an issue with them , be it the 944S & 944S2 version or the 968 version ( different design because of the vario cam  )  , but saying that we have seen them rattle at idle with engine oil hot (90 -  100 deg oil temp etc ) where the owner had installed low oil viscosity engine oil ( like a 5w-40 ) and this lower oil pressure at idle makes the timing chain rattle , even worse when its stretched / worn with worn nylon guides , this is the dreaded death rattle , it actually goes away or at least reduced when the correct oil viscosity is installed , but at this point the timing chain & guides need replacing , the death rattle is the last before death symptom , but in the mean time the low oil pressure when it had low oil viscosity oil WILL cause extra wear of not just the piston bore of the tensioner , but the rattling causes accelerated wear of the cam chain sprockets which are part of the cam shafts ( that's hugely expensive ) 

When you get a chance , price the  timing chain hydraulic tensioner for the 944S / 944S2 , its VERY expensive

Then price the 968 one , its Very Very expensive

All very avoidable if they are maintained with correct last century oil viscosity , meaning a high oil film strength 20w-50 

Thats why we do not need to replace them , because we do NOT use this century low oil film strength , low viscosity engine oils in these last century cars

All very basic physics 

Regards

Bruce Buchanan

Buchanan Automotive     40+ years working on Porsche cars 6 days a week 

I was putting some numbers into Pelican Parts USA this morning ( price guide ) & I also put in the part numbers for }

944S  / 944S2  timing chain hydraulic tensioner = $ 500 USD =  $ 645 Aus  + air freight + credit card fees ( not too bad for genuine Porsche )

968 only  timing chain hydraulic tensioner ( vario cam unit ) = $ 1,910 USD = $ 2,460 Aus + import duties + GST + Airfreight + Credit card fees = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The above prices are just a quick guide , they may or may not be current ?

Regards

Bruce Buchanan

• 1 month later...
On 17/11/2017 at 9:13 PM, Cam Arnott said:

About time this thread got a bump ;-)

Does anyone know if there is anyone in Oz making Clubsport side decals?

Cheers

I'm late to the party,  but Highgate house ( http://www.highgatehouse.co.uk/old_968.htm ) in the UK are awesome, I got mine there last year, compete kit was delivered in about 3 days from order. 

IMG_4938_zpsaawuvosq.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I flew to Melbourne on Wednesday and drove my CS back to Radelaide and had a bit of bonding time!  All good with the exception of a slightly iffy starter, not wanting to start when hot, so a new one has been ordered.

I also noticed it had an original Porsche battery which looked about as old as the car.....it was still working fine but I didn't want to take the chance on it leaving me stranded so I bought a new Bosch S5 series battery which is a little shorter and I reckon about 5KG's lighter! Handily there is two different hole spacings for the tab that holds the battery in place so it fit just fine.

• 4 weeks later...

New starter and gearbox bush went in today - It sounds a whole lot less wheezy than the old one!

Just in case anyone is looking at this thread in the future, and you are unaware of the Failed to Proceed thread 

24643266197_4bd2d340d6.jpgIMG_7913 by Cameron Arnott, on Flickr

Oh and some new plates turned up today!

27734641659_cee0e9d430_z.jpgIMG_7915 by Cameron Arnott, on Flickr

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, TINGY944 said:

What are these worth, ok not a CS but still a hell of a car.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-5299785

1993 Porsche 968 Manual

Ok I know this car, it is an Oz delivered car, he just spent a lot of money getting engine top end freshened up, chains guides etc, new a/c compressor, sway bar mounts , petty much any thing that looked warn. He keeps all his car in pristine condition. The only reason he is selling is because he has his eyes on another Pcar.

9 hours ago, Port 911 said:

Ok I know this car, it is an Oz delivered car, he just spent a lot of money getting engine top end freshened up, chains guides etc, new a/c compressor, sway bar mounts , petty much any thing that looked warn. He keeps all his car in pristine condition. The only reason he is selling is because he has his eyes on another Pcar.

Worth every penny, very undervalued low k manual 968's!!!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Jason E said:

If anyone needs a new set of genuine door triggers (still in unopened packets) let me know.  I ordered them in error whilst ordering bits for my 944S2.  Stupid me.

Jason

turn your car into a 4 door

easy for kids to get in & out!

Archived