944 fitted with 911 Turbo twist wheels

Wrighteou5

Hi All,

New hear, as mentioned a few weeks back i am in the process of choosing a new 944 to purchase and think i have found one.  Interested to know if the 18" 911 Turbo Twist wheels fit the car, and if so what spacers etc are needed / any inner arch work needed to make them fit or anything silly like that?

Any help would be massively appreciated

Hi Wrighteous, and welcome.  Whether or not the Turbo Twists will fit with/without spacers depends on the wheel offset, which is markedly different (by about 30mm) between the early cars (before '87 MY) and later.  The early cars will definitely require spacers to achieve at least the standard track width, whereas the later ones will at least be in the ballpark.  Then it will come down to the offset on the Turbo Twists.  Bear in mind that spacers are not legal although some Porsches had them as standard equipment.  A subject for discussion with your main roads officers...

Bruce or Sean Buchanan will probably be able to give a more enlightened view...

Cheers

Rob

Thanks Rob!

Some more context on the car and tyres... sorry new on this stuff.

Car is an 89 944S2 Cab

Wheels are:

Front: 18 x 7.5 ET: 50 - fitted with 225/35/18s

Rear : 18 x 9 ET: 52 - fitted with 255/35/18s

Pcd : 5x130

Edited by Wrighteou5

They will fit , but they are heavy ( high unsprung weight ) combined with mildly incorrect front ET ( Off Sets ) which effects the front scrub radius will increase the sudden pulling , jolting of the steering wheel when one  front road wheel ( say the Left Front ) drops into medium + sized potholes & irregularities in the road surface & made a little bit worse by being a Cabrio , meaning with the more scuttle shake it just amplifies the effect , its quite unsettling ( ask me how I know ) 

The Cabrio has to have everything correct to feel settled on the road , or put another way , they are more sensitive 

To give you an idea how heavy the 18" dia Turbo Twist wheels are 

Genuine Porsche 18" Turbo Twists from a 993NA  ( Option on a 993 ) ( Not Hollow Spoke ,which was only on the 993 Turbo )

Fronts in the specs you gave are 11.3KG   + the tyre weight = heavy
Rears   "    "     "       "       "     "    13.2 KG  + the tyre weight = heavy  ( can hardly pick it up with a tyre & tyre weights attached )

Aftermarket Versions    Front       12.8KG  + Tyre weight  = YIKES
                                     Rear         13.8 KG + Tyre weight = YIKES  ( want to use a fork lift to install on car )

The unsprung weight is so high it effects the shocks and springs to cope with the extra unsprung weight & on a cabrio its amplified 

Choose carefully 

Regards 
Bruce Buchanan
Buchanan Automotive   40 + years working on Porsche cars 6 days a week 

Appreciate your input Bruce! Clearly a fount of knowledge, car is going to be used for nothing other than tootling around the coastal city roads, but in your clearly expert opinion, would you suggest it is a bad idea and puts too much stress on other elements of the car causing failures in other parts?

Also from what else i have read many people are suggesting i would need spacers to make them fit, is this correct?

Edited by Wrighteou5

"Genuine Porsche 18" Turbo Twists from a 993NA  ( Option on a 993 ) ( Not Hollow Spoke ,which was only on the 993 Turbo )"

Sorry Bruce but I beg to differ on above statement - Standard body 993's did have a hollow spoke 18" option in both 7.5 ET 50 and 10 ET 65 also 9 ET 52. Rim Weight 8.6/10 kg.

I have these sets and one in 7.5/10 is for sale !

Cheers, Mark.

They will fit , but they are heavy ( high unsprung weight ) combined with mildly incorrect front ET ( Off Sets ) which effects the front scrub radius will increase the sudden pulling , jolting of the steering wheel when one  front road wheel ( say the Left Front ) drops into medium + sized potholes & irregularities in the road surface & made a little bit worse by being a Cabrio , meaning with the more scuttle shake it just amplifies the effect , its quite unsettling ( ask me how I know ) 

The Cabrio has to have everything correct to feel settled on the road , or put another way , they are more sensitive 

Genuine Porsche 18" Turbo Twists from a 993NA  ( Option on a 993 ) ( Not Hollow Spoke ,which was only on the 993 Turbo )

Rears   "    "     "       "       "     "    13.2 KG  + the tyre weight = heavy  ( can hardly pick it up with a tyre & tyre weights attached )

Rear         13.8 KG + Tyre weight = YIKES  ( want to use a fork lift to install on car )

The unsprung weight is so high it effects the shocks and springs to cope with the extra unsprung weight & on a cabrio its amplified 

Choose carefully 

Regards 
Bruce Buchanan

Great advice Bruce

Hi Mark ( 9fan ), we agree on the same thing , on a 993 ( 1996 > ) the 18" dia Hollow Spoke 911 Turbo Twist Wheels were an option from Porsche , so on a narrow body 993 from 1996 the Option was M 493 / M408 , you just had to pay a lot more than the 18" dia ( same looking ) and much more common 993 C4S wheels ( 18" Turbo Twist Look ) which were NOT hollow spoke

So in other words the two same looking wheels in the later part of the 993 model years with the 18" dia Turbo Twist design , the rarest version ( standard on the 993 Turbo ) were hollow spoke technology , BUT the 993 C4S ( Turbo Twist Look in 18" ) were not hollow spoke( these are more common ) , these were called by Porsche Turbo Look and naturally they were heavier

Translated from German to English in the Porsche Published " Service Information Technik " for the 1996 year model 911 Carrera 4S , it mentions the standard wheels on the C4S and it says } The Wheels of the 993C4S are Turbo Look and they are NOT hollow spoke , the only reason I mentioned that is because a lot of people think they are all hollow spoke & naturally all the aftermarket copies are not hollow spoke & are even heavier still

It gets even more complicated , the hollow spoke wheels you mentioned 7.5" X 18" X ET 50 = 993 362 134 05 , these are only listed on the Porsche PET in the 1998 - 2004 Boxter & 996 section of the PET ( 996 with option M408 ) & not at all in the 993 section of the PET  

Regards
Bruce Buchanan 

Edited by Buchanan Automotive

Now you are talking Tingy944  , I have a perfect set of Fuchs Forged ClubSports on my restored 928S , perfect off sets ( ET65mm ,fronts ) for a 928S with the large 4 piston Brembo's ( must have 65ET ) and of course the Forged Club Sports were superbly Re Anodised  a few years ago ( almost too pretty to use on a road car ) , BUT they are the wrong ET for a 944S2 that has the normal / common / standard front axle geometry that means it should have an ET of 55mm ( NOT 65mm )  , only a very very very few 944S2/s every received the very expensive 944 Turbo suspension & big brake package ( M030 for 1990 & 1991 year models & this means different stub axle  ) & 968 , so if one fitted these magnificent Forged & silver anodised wheels , the front would sit in 10mm too far , so thats not a good option for a standard 944S2 & NO you can not fit spacers to the front axle ( rear OK ) but fronts are a BIG no no 

Regards

Bruce B

Edited by Buchanan Automotive

Hi Brian , from memory ( have to double check on Monday ) I think the M030 package on the 1989 944S2 did not include the 1989 TurboS suspension & brake package , I think the M030 in 1989 ( for the 944S2 ) was the earlier ( 1987/1988) 944Turbo ( NON S ) brake & suspension package , but like I said I would have to double check on that , thats why I thought it would be safer to just mention the M030 package from 1990 , because I new what that meant 

And yes , the option code M030 was around long before 1990 , it just meant different components to what I was trying to convey 

Regards
Bruce B

Thanks Rob!

Some more context on the car and tyres... sorry new on this stuff.

Car is an 89 944S2 Cab

Wheels are:

Front: 18 x 7.5 ET: 50 - fitted with 225/35/18s

Rear : 18 x 9 ET: 52 - fitted with 255/35/18s

Pcd : 5x130

Hi Wrighteou5, 

Did you purchase the Black S2 Cab which was listed for $32k. Just curious, as I've a 91 S2 Cab. Love it.

Regards, 

Sohan 

You are going to enjoy this ride so much, welcome to the gang.

Great technical knowledge as always Bruce, love your work !

D90's are a great lightweight wheel but in 16" tyre choice these days is limited. On the S2 I seem to remember at one stage running 8" front and rear before I went to 17".

Cheers, Mark.

Edited by 9fan

• 3 years later...
On 22/09/2017 at 21:01, Buchanan Automotive said:

Choose carefully 

Regards 
Bruce Buchanan

Hi Bruce,

Some great information in this this thread that has been interesting reading here. I'm hoping for some clarity further to this. 

I have a 89 952 (M030 setup as built) and I've secured some genuine Porsche Technogly hollow spoke 993 Turbo Twists (from a narrow body 993), the lightest twists made in the series, I hope when installed will reduce enough unsprung mass to provide responsive handling on a firm suspension setup on this chassis. 

I'm hoping these will work well on my car for street and performance driving in the country winding roads etc, the car will run more than stock power and will need suspension setup. 

Front 18x7.5 ET 50 / PET 993.362.134.05 @ 8.6kg + tyres

Noting the comments made on the the scrub radius on the fronts due to the slight offset difference, the front rims would be sitting 2mm further out than stock and larger diameter of the wheel etc. 

Rear 18x10 ET 65 / PET 993.362.140.01 @ 10.86kg + tyres 

How will the rears perform in 18x10 ET65? I don't want to modify the car in any way except suspension adjustments, I believe the car can accommodate 18x10.5 no issues from my research. 

I will likely need to run spacers on the rears as rim will be 44.8mm closer to the suspension strut and the outer rim will poke out 18.8mm more than before.

Also I'll have to understand the correct suspension setup for this configuration so it sits flat and handles, I will post a new tread on this as its getting off topic but any general advice on this would be appreciated. 

Thanks...

Adrian