996 GT3 Centre Console Delete

RennRob

I did my first few track days this year and thoroughly enjoyed them. It was immediately apparent though that the centre console had to go! I'm 186cm and the position of my left knee meant that I had to keep shuffling my hands around the wheel when turning left (a distraction i did not need).

Bought the console delete kit, trim piece and also the ashtray delete/ non-smokers shelf. The latter is to claw back some (barely) usable storage space.

Having just done a track day post mod, I am very happy with the result- can keep hands on the wheel, I think it looks pretty good as well.

Ash tray delete https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9X6NSS.html 

Centre console delete and trim piece https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/gt3console.html 

Dark interior doesn't make for great photos, but hopefully you get the idea. 

213_zpsnnrgddsd.jpg 

220_zpsb44bca1e.jpg
218_zpsx3bzts9y.jpg 

I agree, really cleans up the console and removes more of the black plastic. The only non-vote for this could be that storage in the 996.1 is limited (no glovebox) except for the tiny locked compartment, and so the storage below the CD holder in the console is a bit useful.  Probably not a big deal, just saying. 

I agree, really cleans up the console and removes more of the black plastic. The only non-vote for this could be that storage in the 996.1 is limited (no glovebox) except for the tiny locked compartment, and so the storage below the CD holder in the console is a bit useful.  Probably not a big deal, just saying. 

the kit @TrevMcRev linked lets you keep the storage tray

Yeah, It is a bit of a pest, but I can live with and have got used to putting the phone in the door box.....

iphone does not really fit in the ashtray replacement shelf.

Yeah, It is a bit of a pest, but I can live with and have got used to putting the phone in the door box.....

iphone does not really fit in the ashtray replacement shelf.

I use one of these in the driver's side air con vent http://www.belkin.com/au/p/P-F8M879/

• 1 year later...

Once everyone has deleted the centre consol from their cars, let me know if you want to sell one!  I am looking for one for my 1998/9 Carrera.....think the colour was Granite Grey for 1998 & 1999 vehicles.  ?

It’s a CAE Ultra Shifter. The standard shifter always felt a bit delicate to me & I wanted something equivalent to a WEVO in the earlier cars. Took some searching & wasn’t cheap but I’m extremely happy with the end result !! 

10 hours ago, MR901 said:

It’s a CAE Ultra Shifter. The standard shifter always felt a bit delicate to me & I wanted something equivalent to a WEVO in the earlier cars. Took some searching & wasn’t cheap but I’m extremely happy with the end result !! 

Have heard good things about CAE. Yes, standard shifter is poxy. Cup is better but still too much play. I’ve just re-built this stock shifter with upgraded bushings and yoke for my cup...

DF250494-B241-414-F-89-B1-5-B4-F6-D2-BAC

Archived