Mercedes Benz C250 W204 MY12/13

I am looking for a new daily driver for myself, my wife gets the new car and I typically buy something second hand as it sits outside and often gets parked at the airport or train station car park. I have been looking at 2012/2013 MB C250 Sedans (W204 I believe) and they seem good value, $25-$30k for something with under 80000 km. I believe anything under the C250 would be too under powered, the C250 at 150kw is probably (just) enough as a daily driver. 

Reviews for the 2012 onwards model seem to be reasonably favourable, trim issues aside I can see some comments about transmissions. I plan on buying a car that only has main dealer service history. 

Does anyone have experience with this model or thoughts on its reliability? I typically do 5000km or under per year

Thx

Dave

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a 2010 C200 which is also a W204. The 2 points of difference between C250 and C200 is tuning of the same 1.8 petrol turbo engine and the level of interior specification.  It may also have a 7 speed box in it whereas ours has a 5 speed - it did change during the life of the model but I'm not sure when.

Ours was 6 yrs old when we bought it and had done approx 25k kms.  In the 18 months we've had it, we have put on 68-70k kms.  Servicing is cheap.  Oil and filter is about $200 and we've also done the transmission service which was at about 50k kms and was approx $380.  Great fuel economy (about 7.3 l / 100 km) and it will hustle (as best as a small engine will) if needed.  It is not a speed demon by any stretch of the imagination but it wasn't bought to do that so that's not a worry for me.

The earlier model seems to have had a number of issues which were resolved for this model and as far as I can tell, this was due to the previous model being built outside of Germany and not up to the exacting standards.

We like it, it's easy to drive and comfortable so we could sit in it for a day trip of 8+ hours, and I fully expect this car will do 250-300k kms before anything major is needed.

I had one as well.  Mine was a C250 MY2010 and I bought it new with AMG pack, Vision pack and Panoramic sunroof.  Also had the Sports option.  I loved it.  It was white too.  The only thing I would suggest is buy the update model (2012/13 I think) as it has the 7 speed transmission and better blue tooth function.  Also the Sat Nav/Entertainment system is must better in the C250.  Sold it when the current model came out in 2015.  If the budget can stretch to a 2015 C250 (current shape) you will find that car quite a step up from the W204.  It is a truly great car.

We had a 2010 C250 that was the wife's car ... beautiful machine and she still cries every now and then when she thinks about it.

Plenty of up and go and great fuel economy. If we were to get another one, it would still be a C250, not a C200 .... not because of any good or bad reason, purely because of the extra power, better optioned and the fact that if you search hard enough, you can find them for the same price as the C200 .....

I am looking for a new daily driver for myself, my wife gets the new car and I typically buy something second hand as it sits outside and often gets parked at the airport or train station car park. I have been looking at 2012/2013 MB C250 Sedans (W204 I believe) and they seem good value, $25-$30k for something with under 80000 km. I believe anything under the C250 would be too under powered, the C250 at 150kw is probably (just) enough as a daily driver. 

Reviews for the 2012 onwards model seem to be reasonably favourable, trim issues aside I can see some comments about transmissions. I plan on buying a car that only has main dealer service history. 

Does anyone have experience with this model or thoughts on its reliability? I typically do 5000km or under per year

Thx

Dave

C250?   That's like a 1.8lt with a tiny plastic hair dryer.   Go for a big boofa.

Or offer this bloke $25k and enjoy. 

We have a 2010 C200 which is also a W204. The 2 points of difference between C250 and C200 is tuning of the same 1.8 petrol turbo engine and the level of interior specification.  It may also have a 7 speed box in it whereas ours has a 5 speed - it did change during the life of the model but I'm not sure when.

Ours was 6 yrs old when we bought it and had done approx 25k kms.  In the 18 months we've had it, we have put on 68-70k kms.  Servicing is cheap.  Oil and filter is about $200 and we've also done the transmission service which was at about 50k kms and was approx $380.  Great fuel economy (about 7.3 l / 100 km) and it will hustle (as best as a small engine will) if needed.  It is not a speed demon by any stretch of the imagination but it wasn't bought to do that so that's not a worry for me.

The earlier model seems to have had a number of issues which were resolved for this model and as far as I can tell, this was due to the previous model being built outside of Germany and not up to the exacting standards.

We like it, it's easy to drive and comfortable so we could sit in it for a day trip of 8+ hours, and I fully expect this car will do 250-300k kms before anything major is needed.

Cheers @jakroo, appreciate the real world feedback, thank you, you sure have been putting the miles on ! Yes, I read the engine was the same with just a tune, the trim difference also looks worth the extra 

I had one as well.  Mine was a C250 MY2010 and I bought it new with AMG pack, Vision pack and Panoramic sunroof.  Also had the Sports option.  I loved it.  It was white too.  The only thing I would suggest is buy the update model (2012/13 I think) as it has the 7 speed transmission and better blue tooth function.  Also the Sat Nav/Entertainment system is must better in the C250.  Sold it when the current model came out in 2015.  If the budget can stretch to a 2015 C250 (current shape) you will find that car quite a step up from the W204.  It is a truly great car.

Thanks @Lucky Phil, for sure the 2015+ cars look very nice however they havent depreciated enough for me yet, given this will be a second car, if that makes sense

If your interested? my father in law has a new Merc arriving very soon & is look to sell his 2009 E350 Coupe with full dealer history & about 75000 Kms car is like new.. price will be just under $30k

Thanks @James P appreciate the heads up - sounds like a nice car but I think I need 4 doors

We had a 2010 C250 that was the wife's car ... beautiful machine and she still cries every now and then when she thinks about it.

Plenty of up and go and great fuel economy. If we were to get another one, it would still be a C250, not a C200 .... not because of any good or bad reason, purely because of the extra power, better optioned and the fact that if you search hard enough, you can find them for the same price as the C200 .....

Agree @Dreamr, price difference between the 200 and 250 is minimal, hence why I thought it was a better buy

C250?   That's like a 1.8lt with a tiny plastic hair dryer.   Go for a big boofa.

Or offer this bloke $25k and enjoy. 

Your'e killing me Mark ! I was deliberately looking at boring cars to avoid myself getting sucked in.......

You must be forgetting that I own a boxster, so an under-powered Merc with a hairdresser motor is probably a good garage companion

Your'e killing me Mark ! I was deliberately looking at boring cars to avoid myself getting sucked in.......

Only one word (kinda) for you to contemplate;  C250-1.8T-AvantgardeSport

Dead set on the Merc? BMW E90 335i is within the budget and has the turbos...225kw/400Nm. 

Not really dead set, but just not a BMW fan - had a 2005 530D as a company car when I lived in Germany and whilst it had plenty of power the ergonomics/cabin drove me nuts - just didnt work for me. I get the attraction to BMWs but for me they dont work. 

Only one word (kinda) for you to contemplate;  C250-1.8T-AvantgardeSport

I know.....sounds geriatric doesnt it

Going to look at a c200 tomorrow for a relative.  Not sure if 5 or 7 speed transmission.

I am expecting to find it underpowered, but really what I will be checking is ingress/egress and manouverabiliity and interior trim hardiness.

car will replace a 93 180e which still has only got to 120k and is going like a champ but has to be the worlds slowest car.  I'd love to buy it myself and engine swap it but no time space or budget.

car will replace a 93 180e which still has only got to 120k and is going like a champ but has to be the worlds slowest car.  I'd love to buy it myself and engine swap it but no time space or budget.

or desire.

Archived