Seat options for 911 SC

PeterP

Folks,

The drivers seat in my 78 SC can only be described as flat, particularly on the right hand side, I suspect from the previous owners swivelling to get out; oh, and the fact that i'm no light weight.....

Anyway, have had the base re-padded ( i guess) probably 8 months ago, however back to where I started.

So....thinking of putting in an aftermarket seat, and storing the original.

Any tips on brands etc? anybody done this and what did they end up with?

Appreciate any feedback,

cheers

Peter :D :D

A word of caution; - an aftermarket seat probably won't fold forward, which will limit access to the rear of your car. If that isn't a problem, you could try ebay and look for seats from a GT3 - genuine Porsche item, with Porsche logo, weigh about the same (v heavy just like yours) but extremely comfortable and will hold you very well if you are into sideways action

There are copies available which look nearly as nice and weigh a lot less. Genuine ones will tip in at about 17kg

Hi Peter,

I have a pair of originals that I could offer for sale if your interested, they are black & out of a 77. Presentable original condition, let me know if thats of interest.

Cheers, Hugh

Hi Guys,

thanks for the feedback. The GT3 seat sounds OK, I'll have a look....I am sort of suprised it would fit in; I thought the cabin in the Sc would be smaller.

Hugh, the originals I have are really good, just the drivers is a bit flat, so if I get an aftermarket or different model seat, I'll store the original driver seat in case I ever decide to sell it; thanks for the offer though.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter,

at Motorclassica last year looked at BF-Torino seats Models Nurburgring R and LeMans sport seats,

Impressed and will look at putting them in mine, Period correct for early models and Reclinable

so you can get to the back easier.

BF Torino seats aust

I think the owner is also a member of the 901 register

showroom is in Thomastown.

Cheers

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Are they the regular seats or the optional 'Sports' seats?

Sorry Hezath missed this post,sports seats but as douglas said PM Phil for more info.

Like your ride Targa was always an option when i was looking, some good looking ones around.

cheers

steve.

Guys,

just as a follow up, I was at haunted hills (hill climb) for the vic porsche club on the weekend and spoke with a driver who races a 911SC and it seems a sparco seat will slide straight in....which means I can store my original (and not ruin it), then just slide it out when my 997 turbo arrives to replace the SC....I wish !!! although i dont think ill sell the SC, great fun.

regards

Peter :D

• 1 month later...

Hi Peter,

Last year I scored a set of Recaro sport seats from ebay. These were a straight swap for the original flat, shiny leather seats in my 1980 911SC. They fit the holes on the tracks perfectly ( P car seats are made by Recaro)

They have the tilt and recline so are great for daily use and give quite good support on the track or twisty roads.

Go for a quality seat. It's worth the extra $$.

A word on fixed back racing seats.. Check your local rules for registration. If you have a coupe with fixed back seats it needs an eng. certificate and be registered as a 2 seater (access to the rear seats is restricted) to be legal on the road. Tilt seats are no issue for rego. or insurance.

Harv.

Archived