instrument cluster refurb

brian in buddina

15 minutes ago, OzJustin said:

That's a great idea Timm! I did read some people have tried LED strips but I didn't see any evidence that the dimmer would still function. In most cases they were suggesting the dimmer wouldn't work with LEDs due to the reduced voltage. How long have you had your LED strip installed? So the strip doesn't rely on the reflective coating at all and sits on the outside of the window/tunnel? I'm sure this will make more sense once I've pulled out my cluster.

Yep that's it. Unfortunately I didn't take any pics during the installation, but here's a pic off google showing were to place the LED strip. You can see that the two mirrors on the right have already been rubbed off leaving clear windows which the LED stip gets stuck over. I did this mod back in 2015 and have had no issues whatsoever with it since. The only notes I have is that the LEDS are very white, so don't match the rest of the incandescent bulbs in the rest of the interior. If I did it again I'd try to find a warmer colour if possible, or perhaps put a translucent yellowish film over the windows under the LED strip. @OzJustin and @Jason E happy to show you boys mine first if you wanna see how it looks in person.

4Nv7dhS.png

35 minutes ago, Jason E said:

Justin, I've recently purchased a spare instrument cluster to practice this & a few other little jobs on before addressing mine.

Good plan. What else do you have in store for your cluster? Integrated Racepak dash...😜

Just now, OzJustin said:

Good plan. What else do you have in store for your cluster? Integrated Racepak dash...😜

Haha, maybe one day :D I have been tempted to set up a double din head unit with VEMS display, but I already have an analog oil temp and boost gauge down there so no real need.

• 5 months later...

Digging up this thread as I’m in the middle of refurbishing my dash cluster. What silver paint or aluminium foil tape is everyone using for the three prisms that reflect the light onto the dash?

i have aluminium foil tape for foil insulation but it is only single sided so will be upside down/not shiny if sticking to the back of the prisms..

I wonder if kitchen al foil stuck down with electrical tape would hold?

7 minutes ago, OzJustin said:

Digging up this thread as I’m in the middle of refurbishing my dash cluster. What silver paint or aluminium foil tape is everyone using for the three prisms that reflect the light onto the dash?

i have aluminium foil tape for foil insulation but it is only single sided so will be upside down/not shiny if sticking to the back of the prisms..

I wonder if kitchen al foil stuck down with electrical tape would hold?

What happens after X amount of heat cycles & the tape starts drying out?  Would be a pain to have to do over!  I know @TINGY996 did his at some stage.

26 minutes ago, Jason E said:

What happens after X amount of heat cycles & the tape starts drying out?  Would be a pain to have to do over!  I know @TINGY996 did his at some stage.

Yeah I wasn’t too keen to go with tape for that reason. Not sure how others are doing it.

Clarks Garage seem to be suggesting al foil stuck down with masking tape.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/elect-08.htm

13 hours ago, brian in buddina said:

@OzJustin

I went a sign maker & they gave me some chrome foil scap with self adhesive backing. The backside, under the adhesive was chrome as well. Worked out well & no cost.

Good idea Brian. I tried a sign shop today but they didn’t have anything suitable. Ended up getting some chrome spray paint similar to what would have been on the cluster when new. Will see how it turns out.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update to this thread. I ended up going with the Clarks Garage suggestion (al foil and masking tape). It stuck down surprisingly well so only time will tell if it lasts long term.

In terms of performance, the al foil made a massive difference to brightness. I could barely see my dash gauges at night before the refurb (not surprising given the heavily worn silver paint on the prisms). Now I can see all my gauges perfectly at night and the dimming control is quite effective.

Final point - I discovered I only had 2w bulbs installed when I removed the cluster. I upgraded to 3w Narva bulbs (below the 3.7w max recommended by Clarks Garage) and feel no need to pursue brighter LEDs. The warm white bulbs are a better match for the rest of the stock dash bulbs too. Highly recommended refurb!

23 hours ago, OzJustin said:

Quick update to this thread. I ended up going with the Clarks Garage suggestion (al foil and masking tape). It stuck down surprisingly well so only time will tell if it lasts long term.

In terms of performance, the al foil made a massive difference to brightness. I could barely see my dash gauges at night before the refurb (not surprising given the heavily worn silver paint on the prisms). Now I can see all my gauges perfectly at night and the dimming control is quite effective.

Final point - I discovered I only had 2w bulbs installed when I removed the cluster. I upgraded to 3w Narva bulbs (below the 3.7w max recommended by Clarks Garage) and feel no need to pursue brighter LEDs. The warm white bulbs are a better match for the rest of the stock dash bulbs too. Highly recommended refurb!

A note of caution, higher wattage bulbs produce more heat and may melt some plastic. 911/930 in dash heater control panel is a classic example.

47 minutes ago, OZ930 said:

A note of caution, higher wattage bulbs produce more heat and may melt some plastic. 911/930 in dash heater control panel is a classic example.

I do remember Bruce Buchanan cautioning against going much higher than standard wattage due to heat/ melt issues.

On 16/10/2019 at 14:32, TINGY996 said:

This is an easy fix, i used the shiny tape with the original globes and it was amazing. The difference really is night and day, see what i did there:D

Good one Tingy :P 

On 16/10/2019 at 17:41, OZ930 said:

My understanding is that the factory spec bulb is actually a 3w so no issue with what I installed (mine were underrated before). People seem to have problems if installing 4-5w bulbs.

14 minutes ago, OzJustin said:

My understanding is that the factory spec bulb is actually a 3w so no issue with what I installed (mine were underrated before). People seem to have problems if installing 4-5w bulbs.

All good, just a general caution. 👍

I did this ages ago. There was a guy selling a kit back then, that had silver mylar for tunnels. While I was waiting for kit to arrive I cleaned up tunnels with acetone, then sprayed them with chrome paint. It worked great. When the kit arrived I took paint off and fitted the mylar mostly because I had paid for the kit and it looked like it would be a permanent fix, which it has been. I'm not a fan of LED as too cold and as mentioned above, it doesn't suit rest of dash. I used toothpaste to polish the perspex and it works great and smells minty fresh lol

• 9 months later...

I finally got around to pulling my 944 instrument cluster out over the weekend to try and improve the dull lights.  The instructions on Clark's Garage worked a treat, pretty easy job which you just take your time with.  I tried not taking the wheel off at the start but it does need removing to get the cluster out.

My three main globes were 2W, looked like they'd been there for 30 years, I replaced with 3W but I understand up to 3.8W is safe without worrying about too much heat.

The original paint on my reflectors didn't look too bad but I did end up removing it with non-acetone nail polish remover.  I stuck the shiny side of aluminium foil down and used 50mm blue painters tape to protect the outer surface.

A shot of before and after below.  The first shot has a little light coming into the garage as I started just after lunch, the last was pitch black by the time I finished, original and updated globes were warm white.

zncqLuf.jpg

After, you can always use the dimmer now if required but a good improvement, worth giving it a go.

LWeJ7vc.jpg

3 hours ago, Stepo said:

I finally got around to pulling my 944 instrument cluster out over the weekend to try and improve the dull lights.  The instructions on Clark's Garage worked a treat, pretty easy job which you just take your time with.  I tried not taking the wheel off at the start but it does need removing to get the cluster out.

My three main globes were 2W, looked like they'd been there for 30 years, I replaced with 3W but I understand up to 3.8W is safe without worrying about too much heat.

The original paint on my reflectors didn't look too bad but I did end up removing it with non-acetone nail polish remover.  I stuck the shiny side of aluminium foil down and used 50mm blue painters tape to protect the outer surface.

A shot of before and after below.  The first shot has a little light coming into the garage as I started just after lunch, the last was pitch black by the time I finished, original and updated globes were warm white.

After, you can always use the dimmer now if required but a good improvement, worth giving it a go.

Good job on this Stepo. I did the same thing on my old 944 and it made a massive difference. I bet you're looking forward to driving it more at night now! :D