Thunderbolts Way: Road condition

Nu2Pcars

Hoping to make my way to Sydney next week from Brisbane in the 997 Turbo. Was hoping to go to Armidale for a night stop and then down the ThuderboltsWay and Bucketts Way the next day.

Just wondering if anyone from the forum has travelled these roads recently. What is their condition like? If they are "pot-hole central" I might take the Pacific Mway and a different car.

Suggestions for overnight stops, food stops, must see view points along the way are welcome.

Hoping to make my way to Sydney next week from Brisbane in the 997 Turbo. Was hoping to go to Armidale for a night stop and then down the ThuderboltsWay and Bucketts Way the next day.

Just wondering if anyone from the forum has travelled these roads recently. What is their condition like? If they are "pot-hole central" I might take the Pacific Mway and a different car.

Suggestions for overnight stops, food stops, must see view points along the way are welcome.

I did the Buckets way and up to Carson's lookout, (stop here it is surprising how high it is) on Thunderbolts way today and back to Newcastle, 380km round trip, there are some bad sections but that's ok just take it easy, i think i saw 9 logging trucks. From what i heard it was going to be terrible but it's really not that bad.

Some sections of the Buckets way need some attention as well but not that bad that you have to divert, if we get lots of rain that may change, just be on the alert for potholes.

Gloucester has some good cafe's and the Roadies Cafe has good coffee, Stroud has a little pub and good cheap meals on the Buckets way, also cafe's.

There is also 98 ULP in Gloucester at 2 garages.

I did the Buckets way and up to Carson's lookout, (stop here it is surprising how high it is) on Thunderbolts way today and back to Newcastle, 380km round trip, there are some bad sections but that's ok just take it easy, i think i saw 9 logging trucks. From what i heard it was going to be terrible but it's really not that bad.

Some sections of the Buckets way need some attention as well but not that bad that you have to divert, if we get lots of rain that may change, just be on the alert for potholes.

Gloucester has some good cafe's and the Roadies Cafe has good coffee, Stroud has a little pub and good cheap meals on the Buckets way, also cafe's.

Thanks TINGY944.

Did you do some resent recon for the PFA weekend or is this from a previous trip.

Arrived into Sydney last night from Brissy.

Pacific Mway to Coffs, stayed the night and then onto the Oxley Highway to Wacha, Left onto Thunderbolts way to Gloucester on to Bucketts Way to rejoin the A1.

FANTASTIC drive esp the Oxley!!!

The road condition is good most of the way. Some patches of rough road with pot holes, none too big tho. Met 3 timber trucks but they were kind enough to allow me to pass.

Now need a recommendation for a self service car wash in Pennant Hills to get the bugs off my bumper!!! Any suggestions Sydneysiders??

Archived