Tyre preferences for your Porsche

Hi all

Recently purchased a 997 Turbo and loving the car.  It's the third time I've bought a porsche though with pirelli p zeros fitted and i can't get past how much i hate these tyres - itrespective of what vehicle they're fitted too.

Find the pirelli tyres noisy, lack traction off the line, lack group when cornering and constantly need rebalancing.

My perverted tyre for a balance of day to day, spirited weekend and some track use is a Michelon pilot sport .

Wanted to get an idea of what folks out there are using rubber wise.  Be great to hear from you all. 

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave, I think with your turbo, my thoughts may not be of much value to you.

I was a big fan of YOKY ADO8's, on my old Boxster S, for that, they were good in most aspects that you have mentioned.

Although I thought I used to push the Coxster, since getting the Cayman S I know I was kidding myself.

Definitely pushing the Croc harder.    (plus Coxster was a tipper the croc is a manual)

PCM fitted a set of new  BRIDGESTONE'S POTENZA's on the croc when I bought it.

I did 23000k on them.

They were ok, and when new, hung on well, but were very noisy inside the cabin.

Also damp roads had the arse moving out a tad.  

They did appear to lose rear cornering grip as they got up around the 17000, and upwards K's.

Also damp roads tended to twitch the arse out a bit too easily (IMHO) on hard cornering.   

I have just fitted the MICHELIN PS4S, they are much quieter in the cabin, the car rides smoother, and I gave them the first run in anger 

a couple of days ago, on the Arthurs Seat climb.   On some of those hairpin bends, I was amazed at the grip.

Can't wait to give them a good SMT type run and get a better idea of how they perform.

Also found the pressures given to me by the tyre fitters are way different than recommended by Porsche.

Good subject, hopefully you will get some turbo car feed back.

Hi Dave, I think with your turbo, my thoughts may not be of much value to you.

I was a big fan of YOKY ADO8's, on my old Boxster S, for that, they were good in most aspects that you have mentioned.

Although I thought I used to push the Coxster, since getting the Cayman S I know I was kidding myself.

Definitely pushing the Croc harder.    (plus Coxster was a tipper the croc is a manual)

PCM fitted a set of new  BRIDGESTONE'S POTENZA's on the croc when I bought it.

I did 23000k on them.

They were ok, and when new, hung on well, but were very noisy inside the cabin.

Also damp roads had the arse moving out a tad.  

They did appear to lose rear cornering grip as they got up around the 17000, and upwards K's.

Also damp roads tended to twitch the arse out a bit too easily (IMHO) on hard cornering.   

I have just fitted the MICHELIN PS4S, they are much quieter in the cabin, the car rides smoother, and I gave them the first run in anger 

a couple of days ago, on the Arthurs Seat climb.   On some of those hairpin bends, I was amazed at the grip.

Can't wait to give them a good SMT type run and get a better idea of how they perform.

Also found the pressures given to me by the tyre fitters are way different than recommended by Porsche.

Good subject, hopefully you will get some turbo car feed back.

The AD08Rs are a really good tyre. My go to tyre now. probably wont change for a while. Great street track tyre. Used in club sprint class in WTAC. 

The Potenzas, assuming RE002 or RR003? They're ok. over priced IMO.  Good street tyre, but there are better. 

I am on the Hankook bandwagon; Z221s for track and RS3s for street, though they have been recently replaced with the RS4. They are comparable to Advan's A050 and AD08R respectively, though cheaper.

For a high performance street tyre I'd go the RS4, pretty sure they are loud, but I can't really hear them over the noise my motor makes. They are also uncomfortable because the sidewalls are stiff, but the reduced deflection provides excellent response.

Hankook also clean swept all three classes in World Time Attack 2012, then Yokohama purchased exclusive tyre rights from 2013 onwards.

Archived