Porsche 911 Carrera T, a throwback to the 911T

edgy

991.1 R, 991.2 touring and now this.................riding the "back to basics" 911 gravy train till its wheels fall off. 

The R makes sense, this 911 Carrera T, it makes sense, however, I don't think they've done enough;  i.e. we need to lose more than 20 kilos and they know most Aussie customers will add back in the "no cost option" :lol: PCM, electric seats still? 

anyway, the GT3 "touring" is possibly the dumbest thing Porsche has done to date... 

At $70k less, my pick of the litter right now would have to be the 718 GTS 

991.1 R, 991.2 touring and now this.................riding the "back to basics" 911 gravy train till its wheels fall off. 

Agreed Hugh I just hope they don't over do it, I'm all for unique stuff; just don't give it to me all at once .... it dilutes the experience and creates confusion for me.

Read a Macan review in the newspaper on the weekend - interesting stats, Porsche = 2.5% of VW sales yet contributes 25% of the profit at the moment

They will milk the cow until the udders bleed and the cow dies; they have a minor Diesel emission issue that needs funding

In the same way a Toyota Camry Sportivo makes sense? :lol: 

:rolleyes: No! 

I mean they keep within the ethos of the model... R = cool power plant, stick shift, lightened... ok. T = base model stripped back, lightened (albeit not light enough) ok. 

You cannot say that about GT3 touring ^^ the words f%^&*ng stupid come to mind... they really just made more R's 

:rolleyes: No! 

I mean they keep within the ethos of the model... R = cool power plant, stick shift, lightened... ok. T = base model stripped back, lightened (albeit not light enough) ok. 

You cannot say that about GT3 touring ^^ the words f%^&*ng stupid come to mind... they really just made more R's 

But with a better engine right? (legitimate question, not sarcasm...)

There have been rumors of it for some time on other forums  ..........Personally I think it is a good idea from a marketing stand point and as mentioned above ,,,they will make up  on the options as they always do ...

The cynic in me says they've taken a Carrera and stripped or some stuff which yo get little or no credit for then load up the option list.  That is, it's a margin play.

Pity the poor sod who doesn't get it and orders specs ne up beyond Carrera level, gets bugger all credit for deletions and pays through the nose for options.  It seems to me you should buy a base car or don't bother.

how much lighter is it anyway and will it really make any difference on the butt dyno?

what will the marketing department come up with next.....a 914?

If you wanted a new (or newish) 911 that had the creature comforts but a little more focused, why not pick up a neat man 997 (an 'S' would be great), 2 x pole position seats, trick suspension, rubber etc. and save yourself 100-150k? 

Smaller, lighter and I'm guessing probably not too far off in terms of performance? 

Are these cars a result of a buyers lack of imagination, serve up something a bit "custom" for those who dare to be different? If you are an enthusiast and want a fun 911 to drive I cant help but feel that at 200k+ you have plenty of other options.....................drilled door handles would save some weight too. ;)

If you wanted a new (or newish) 911 that had the creature comforts but a little more focused, why not pick up a neat man 997 (an 'S' would be great), 2 x pole position seats, trick suspension, rubber etc. and save yourself 100-150k? 

Smaller, lighter and I'm guessing probably not too far off in terms of performance? 

Are these cars a result of a buyers lack of imagination, serve up something a bit "custom" for those who dare to be different? If you are an enthusiast and want a fun 911 to drive I cant help but feel that at 200k+ you have plenty of other options.....................drilled door handles would save some weight too. ;)

Logically yes, but some people just want a NEW car....

Personally I would go one further back and look at a 996 :)

But if money were no object and I wanted a real 911 experience in a new car I would take a base 991 with no options!

And probably charge more for it fue to exclusivity. Less is more apparently

And probably charge more for it fue to exclusivity. Less is more apparently

Base Carrera $240k on the road, $260k on the road (238k + orc), so yeah, you are absolutely right!! You get to pay more for less! Brilliant, I wish my business could do it.. 

I don't understand the negativity around Porsche's new models and the multiple variants they offer. I think we're lucky Porsche offer so many choices. Would we rather a single offering? And even if you don't like what they sell out of the box, buy the best base that suits you and mod the F$*K out of it!

I don't understand the negativity around Porsche's new models and the multiple variants they offer. I think we're lucky Porsche offer so many choices. Would we rather a single offering? And even if you don't like what they sell out of the box, buy the best base that suits you and mod the F$*K out of it!

I'm not trying to be negative, just not a subscriber to the hype. I am well aware that I'm not the target demographic though ;)