Please help with first Porsche purchase (718)

Hi everyone,

It's my first post at PFA, and my first time purchasing a Porsche - and I would really appreciate the advice from the more experienced buyers here.

I would like to buy a 718 Boxster, and I have just had my first look and test drive. I'm close to figuring out the options wish list I'm after. But one thing I'm not sure about is how hard you can push the dealer down from the RRP/initial asking price.

Previously when buying my last 2 cars (Audis) - I bought them as demos and managed to wrangle north of 15% off the RRP.

If I find a 718 floor stock/demo that is close to the options I'm after, can I push 15% off RRP with a Porsche? Or am I dreaming?

In terms of broadening my search and potential matches - I live in Sydney - is ringing up interstate dealerships for their floor stock a good idea? Or is it too much hassle to get it transported over?

Alternatively, if I can't find close to the colour/options I'm after, and decide to customise my order from Germany - how many free extras can you realistically get thrown in before you push too hard? $5k/10k/15k?

Finally a bit of help choosing options (possibly asking in the wrong forum) - with PASM, turning it on (?sport) makes the rides stiffer/more responsive than a car without PASM. But does having PASM and leaving it off (?normal mode) still make the ride harder than a car without PASM, or does PASM normal mode actually make it more comfortable? And does lowering a Boxster 10mm mean you start scraping the front undersurface of the car all the time on speed bumps and driveways?

Thanks in advance for any help!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hear the 718 isnt moving anywhere near as planned, so I would suggest you have buyers leverage and can push to discount; having said that, buying a car thats built to spec as opposed to stock on the floor diminishes the discount opportunity IMHO. Are you trading a car?

Cars in high demand (GT3, some Macan's, 718 GTS, etc.) probably have limited discount opportunity as people are lining up to buy them

On a new, built to spec car, you are dreaming at 15% ... try 1-2% if you are lucky! You may even find they don't want to discount at all. 

Your idea to buy a demo is probably the most sound, if getting a "discount" is the most important factor in your purchase. 

Franchised dealers are more inclined to negotiate is a general consensus.

Relationships are everything though in this world, a referral from an established client can be a good thing for you too. 

That's probably not the news you wanted to read, and trust me, I got over 20% off my last brand new Audi, so I get your angle... you just need to be able to reset your thinking with this marque... 

ha, sounds like me 1 month ago, I asked pretty much the same regarding price.

I found exactly what the guys above said was the case, their input was quite useful and saved me looking like a knob when it came to ordering.

In my situation, I particularly wanted a manual 718, and there's nothing around so it was a build to order job unfortunately.

Don't expect anything like the discount you have in the past, think of what you did with the Audi and think maybe 1/4 of that.

If going manual wasn't so critical, I'd do as the guys suggested and work on a car already to go, especially at the end of the month.

I was told they could do deals on the demo, but this is my 'ideal' car so it may as well be what you want.

Now the waiting is underway.

Welcome to the club, and let us know what you end up going for.

"Through the first three quarters of 2017, Porsche has sold 368 examples of the 911, representing a 2.4 per cent slide over the same period last year."

Things ain't rosy in the sportscar division.  Herr Verkaufsleiter would have been looking for +10% 

I think the demo cars on the floor are often very highly and expensively optioned, making the start price a lot higher than a few well selected options.

Discounted it may still be a lot more than you wanted to spend yourself - but will be extremely well kitted out!

Thanks for the advice everyone. I didn't want to push too hard and look like a knob. But I also didn't want to get taken for a sucker and pay $10k more than I have to.

I hear the 718 isnt moving anywhere near as planned, so I would suggest you have buyers leverage and can push to discount; having said that, buying a car thats built to spec as opposed to stock on the floor diminishes the discount opportunity IMHO. Are you trading a car?

Cars in high demand (GT3, some Macan's, 718 GTS, etc.) probably have limited discount opportunity as people are lining up to buy them

Not trading in, just adding to the two Audis at the moment. I plan on trading in the wife's Q3 when we upgrade to a Macan at some point in the future.

On a new, built to spec car, you are dreaming at 15% ... try 1-2% if you are lucky! You may even find they don't want to discount at all. 

Your idea to buy a demo is probably the most sound, if getting a "discount" is the most important factor in your purchase. 

Franchised dealers are more inclined to negotiate is a general consensus.

Relationships are everything though in this world, a referral from an established client can be a good thing for you too. 

That's probably not the news you wanted to read, and trust me, I got over 20% off my last brand new Audi, so I get your angle... you just need to be able to reset your thinking with this marque... 

Thanks for the advice - I will definitely reset my thinking for the Porsche purchase. I was only going to look at Porsche Centre Willoughby, South Sydney and Parramatta. Who are the major franchised dealers that stock Porsches? 

"how many free extras can you realistically get thrown in" 

:rofl:BWaahhaahahahaha :rofl: Surely you jest? Free? Discount? Porsche?

Do the smart thing and buy a demo and as Edgy says maybe from a franchised dealer ...you'll save heaps over a new one

Haha! Better to get laughed at here, than behind my back (or to my face! :)) at the dealership.

ha, sounds like me 1 month ago, I asked pretty much the same regarding price.

I found exactly what the guys above said was the case, their input was quite useful and saved me looking like a knob when it came to ordering.

In my situation, I particularly wanted a manual 718, and there's nothing around so it was a build to order job unfortunately.

Don't expect anything like the discount you have in the past, think of what you did with the Audi and think maybe 1/4 of that.

If going manual wasn't so critical, I'd do as the guys suggested and work on a car already to go, especially at the end of the month.

I was told they could do deals on the demo, but this is my 'ideal' car so it may as well be what you want.

Now the waiting is underway.

Welcome to the club, and let us know what you end up going for.

Yeah, I'm glad to get all the answers here to stop me from being a knob!

I'm looking for PDK rather than manual, so looking at demos first is the plan for me.

End of the month is good because the dealers are working hard to meet the end of the month sale quota?

I think the demo cars on the floor are often very highly and expensively optioned, making the start price a lot higher than a few well selected options.

Discounted it may still be a lot more than you wanted to spend yourself - but will be extremely well kitted out!

I have noticed my budget slowly being stretched upwards... Lucky the wife is supportive!

I had quotes from a PCA dealership, and also a franchise.

Prices were similar, in the end it was the very differing attitudes that directed where the order would go, and were we would begin an aftersales relationship.

The only option I selected was 20"rims.

Good luck with your purchase.

I had quotes from a PCA dealership, and also a franchise.

Prices were similar, in the end it was the very differing attitudes that directed where the order would go, and were we would begin an aftersales relationship.

The only option I selected was 20"rims.

Good luck with your purchase.

interested, where did you find better service? 

I'm not looking to out parties, but this wasn't  a Sydney deal, and suffice to say there's things you don't expect a sales professional say in a sales process, particulary if it looks like a deal may go elsewhere.

It was when you got down to brass tacks in the buying process that different attitudes came out, and I felt most comfortable going with the únderdog' franchise.

I hope the better service continues, to date we've just done the paperwork, paid the deposit, and haven't really been back, although I'd be happy just to drop past and sit in a car for a while....

Ian are you looking at a Boxster or Coupe?

I'm not looking to out parties, but this wasn't  a Sydney deal, and suffice to say there's things you don't expect a sales professional say in a sales process, particulary if it looks like a deal may go elsewhere.

It was when you got down to brass tacks in the buying process that different attitudes came out, and I felt most comfortable going with the únderdog' franchise.

I hope the better service continues, to date we've just done the paperwork, paid the deposit, and haven't really been back, although I'd be happy just to drop past and sit in a car for a while....

Ian are you looking at a Boxster or Coupe?

Boxster for sure. I love open top driving on a nice day!

I'm not having much luck with floor stock with the options I want. So similar to yourself it looks like I'm going to order a custom one in from Germany. Looking like a January build date for a late March maybe April delivery.

I'm just 100% making sure I'm happy with options at the moment. I'm also being a pain in the ass and asking for options which aren't even on the Australian configurator. Like the extended range fuel tank (ie the Boxster S 64L tank), which is an option if you access the US Boxster configurator. So far there is a clearly better and helpful sales person at the PCA (PCSS) dealership. So I will probably take my business there, even though I wish the one closer to my home was more helpful.

don't believe the configurator, Aus gets the long range tank as standard.

My brochure pack has a sticker on the brochure inside saying what we get as standard, including the tank, sports wheel, nav pack.

Thanks for the heads up re: the fuel tank Deano. Very helpful.

I'm heading in tomorrow pm to see the PCA dealer, and then Wed pm to see the franchise dealer. I want to look at as many options as I can in person before I fully settle on the options list. Expensive but fun! :)

Then after deciding I will see if I can get 1-2% discount, or some free servicing thrown in :)

If you haven't already - drive an S.

I would suggest an S with minimal options over a Std Boxster with bells and whistles will not only please/excite, but also hold its value significantly better.

My pick would be an S with the Sports Exhaust.....

sorry, a couple more points since I'm such an expert.;)

I thought we were pretty good getting the first (15K) service thrown in, but found out later in US at least, that's included gratis anyhow? (loser)

I think Ozvino is on the money regarding an S, but its relative to where you come from I suppose. I drove a base model, and performance was seriously nutts anyhow, in terms of acceleration. I truly could not imagine how you'd be able to use the larger ability of the S, on public roads... Getting a new base model was a stretch for me,so an S was out of the question anyhow this time around.

True about resale though, I can agree with that.

Regarding the sound, i'd be interested in your take on base with normal exhaust/ S model with performance exhaust on quiet/then base with exhaust downpipe mod, if you get the chance to compare.

There is a lot on info regarding this, and the boxster we drove was base with dealer fitted exhaust mod, which I am yet to decide if that's a way to go or not.

Enjoy Wed PM, nothing like going test driving when you are in a position to make it real.

If you haven't already - drive an S.

I would suggest an S with minimal options over a Std Boxster with bells and whistles will not only please/excite, but also hold its value significantly better.

My pick would be an S with the Sports Exhaust.....

I read your post before going to the dealer today, and made sure I did a test drive of the S! (details below)

sorry, a couple more points since I'm such an expert.;)

I thought we were pretty good getting the first (15K) service thrown in, but found out later in US at least, that's included gratis anyhow? (loser)

I think Ozvino is on the money regarding an S, but its relative to where you come from I suppose. I drove a base model, and performance was seriously nutts anyhow, in terms of acceleration. I truly could not imagine how you'd be able to use the larger ability of the S, on public roads... Getting a new base model was a stretch for me,so an S was out of the question anyhow this time around.

True about resale though, I can agree with that.

Regarding the sound, i'd be interested in your take on base with normal exhaust/ S model with performance exhaust on quiet/then base with exhaust downpipe mod, if you get the chance to compare.

There is a lot on info regarding this, and the boxster we drove was base with dealer fitted exhaust mod, which I am yet to decide if that's a way to go or not.

Enjoy Wed PM, nothing like going test driving when you are in a position to make it real.

I drove the standard Boxster without PASM and a Boxster S with PASM today (both on 20" wheels). I'm coming from a 110kW Audi A3, so I'm like you deano - the standard Boxster already seemed ridiculous (ridiculously good!) for driving on public roads. I couldn't see how having more power in the Boxster S would make me any happier (already at maximum happiness), although I could definitely see how this would change if I ever decided that I wanted to visit the track.

In regards to PASM - maybe PASM normal mode felt slightly better than no PASM but it wasn't a big difference in my opinion. The thing which made up my mind was the 10mm lowered ride height. I took exactly the same route both times, and started scraping vs speed humps and turning into streets with too big a gradient change. Given the types of streets where I live, this meant a resounding NO for the PASM option.

I sat in all the different seat options, listened to different sound systems, looked at the different headlights and interior options... this dealer was really really helpful and also prepared.

In the end I ended up with what I thought was a relatively light ~13k of extras (it was ~7k already for PDK and metallic paint). The rest was just stuff that I considered modern conveniences / fluff that I really like - rear reversing camera, keyless entry, folding mirrors, lane change assist, etc.

Initial RRP was $145k. That dropped to $141ish due to fuel efficiency concessions in the LCT because of the PDK. Then when it came time for him to offer a price he dropped it to $137 flat without me even having to bargain.

Given what was said in this thread about buying a custom order, I thought that was a pretty good deal. My wife wanted some porsche sunglasses, so I said throw in some aviators for the wife and I will sign right here right now.

And he did!

So an agate grey Boxster is currently due for a January build, and late March delivery! Hooray!! Very excited!!!

Welcome.  It is a great feeling when you finally buy your first Porsche. Now the hard part waiting waiting waiting for March to get here.  That bit will drive you slightly bonkers but the day will finally arrive. Only 22 weeks to go.......

Keep working as you will need to as now you have caught the bug and you will always be looking for the next one.  It is great fun though.

Welcome.  It is a great feeling when you finally buy your first Porsche. Now the hard part waiting waiting waiting for March to get here.  That bit will drive you slightly bonkers but the day will finally arrive. Only 22 weeks to go.......

Keep working as you will need to as now you have caught the bug and you will always be looking for the next one.  It is great fun though.

21weeks 6days 2hours 13min and 9sec 8sec 7sec 6sec .....

Thanks Lucky Phil and Troubleshooter! March does indeed seem like a very long time away! :)

Well done and congrats!

What dealer did you end up going with? do you have a porsche code for it?  

I ended up going with Porsche Centre Sydney South. They had a larger range of cars to view. The sales guy there was outstanding. I can't fault him. I'm definitely going to ask for him by name when I go back for the wife's Macan.

Here is a slightly older porsche code:

I took off the PASM, after I found the lowered ride height meant scraping speed bumps and driveways. They also threw in floor mats.

It's basically stock standard, no performance enhancement, just all the comfort/convenience stuff thrown in (because I'm soft).

Maybe Lucky Phil is right and I will have caught the bug... and my next one I am going to be very concerned about performance and heading to the track... I just can't see it at the moment :)

either the forums going bonkers, or its me, as last nights post disappeared, and didn't even include naughty words, religion, politics or anything remotely suss.

Anyway,congrats Ian, nice work, we are both waiting now till March for a Boxster.

And Lucky Phil, saying its only 22 weeks doesn't help, it still feels like it may as well be 2022.

My wife is already over it, I must be harder to live with when i'm waiting.

either the forums going bonkers, or its me, as last nights post disappeared, and didn't even include naughty words, religion, politics or anything remotely suss.

Anyway,congrats Ian, nice work, we are both waiting now till March for a Boxster.

And Lucky Phil, saying its only 22 weeks doesn't help, it still feels like it may as well be 2022.

You are not going to do the whole ship tracking thing are you? ;)

Nice one, sounds like a great car and a lot of bang for the buck

Personally, I would never buy a new Porsche without that little exhaust button - but thats just me; I love the sound on my Spyder, the Flat 6 really comes alive and gets a deeper raspy note with the sports exhaust turned on. @itsujack, you have the same option on yours, what are your comments? 

The 718's I have heard with the std exhaust sound a little Volkswagen like, the Sports exhaust makes it sound more flat 6 like, but as you said, if you aren't coming from another Porsche you probably wont miss anything. What you are buying is a massive step up in performance and sound, no doubt. 

You can add this exhaust later as a dealer fitted  option, it will run you $5 to $6k. Not sure on the price when factory ordered, but I am assuming less.

You are not going to do the whole ship tracking thing are you? ;)

Looks like the post from last night has arrived and attached to the second one.

Sorry about the 22 weeks.  I know the pain it causes and yes if your wife is already over it then that is a common side effect.  Trust me I know I was in the same boat in 2014.  I had to wait 6 months.  It felt like 6 years but was it fantastic when the call finally came to say car is ready.  Beast day of that year for sure

Nice one, sounds like a great car and a lot of bang for the buck

Personally, I would never buy a new Porsche without that little exhaust button - but thats just me; I love the sound on my Spyder, the Flat 6 really comes alive and gets a deeper raspy note with the sports exhaust turned on. @itsujack, you have the same option on yours, what are your comments? 

The 718's I have heard with the std exhaust sound a little Volkswagen like, the Sports exhaust makes it sound more flat 6 like, but as you said, if you aren't coming from another Porsche you probably wont miss anything. What you are buying is a massive step up in performance and sound, no doubt. 

You can add this exhaust later as a dealer fitted  option, it will run you $5 to $6k. Not sure on the price when factory ordered, but I am assuming less.

@Ian718 do not worry about it if you want a better sound I am sure that many after market exhaust upgrades will soon be available for the 718.

Archived